Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Yesterday's Windows Feature Update and Chrome

Yesterday's Windows Updates rendered my Chrome virtually unusable.   I could not reach any secure sites with Chrome.  Could reach all of them with Edge!  Could also not get to any Google sites to sign in to my Google account to attempt to manage Chrome.  Spent four hours last night and this morning searching for and trying solutions. Finally gave up and rolled Windows 10 back to the version before yesterday's updates.  Anyone else had this experience?

To roll back, hold the shift key down when you select Start, Shut Down or Sign Out, Restart.  Your system will start the restart process and then give you options.  Select Reset. then Advanced Options, and one of the options will be to roll back to the Previous Version (before the most recent updates).  That will not cost you any of your data.

If anyone else knows of a solution I would appreciate hearing of it.....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

If anyone else knows of a solution I would appreciate hearing of it.....

Without trying to sound flippant, use a different browser! It seems a little extreme to ditch the latest version of Windows because it doesn't work with your favourite browser. Whilst I don't like Edge, there are other browsers equally as good (if not better) than Chrome: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-web-browser. As a short term fix, why not just install another browser until Chrome is fixed?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Without trying to sound flippant, use a different browser! It seems a little extreme to ditch the latest version of Windows because it doesn't work with your favourite browser. Whilst I don't like Edge, there are other browsers equally as good (if not better) than Chrome: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-web-browser. As a short term fix, why not just install another browser until Chrome is fixed?

Logical, but might try reading about the issue. Firefox also affected as well as some non browser applications. Microsoft is looking for solutions.  It's a Windows issue, not a Chrome-specific issue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I almost always delay the automatic update to a new version of Win 10 until all the dust bunnies that MS has stirred up settle and they've had a chance to release patches. It's not really MS's fault as they can't foresee every possible hardware and software configuration that's out there.

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Logical, but might try reading about the issue. Firefox also affected as well as some non browser applications. Microsoft is looking for solutions.  It's a Windows issue, not a Chrome-specific issue.

I have read about it. The version of Firefox (59.0.3), which was released on 30 April, fixed a syntax error that affected the Windows 10 Spring Update (v1803) so would appear to be fully working. Or have I missed something more recent?

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I've now tried Firefox and Opera with the 1803 update and they both work normally so it's clearly not an issue which affects all browsers.