Sign in to follow this  
Skywatcher

Major texture issue!

Does anyone have any ideas? I only have an area around my aircraft that appears normal and then the rest goes to mush.
This has appeared out of nowhere globally. I have recently installed airports. To troubleshoot the problem I have replaced every folder and file in my FS installation with the default FS folders and files. No custom files were left in there at all. I additionally ran a default FS9.cfg, removed all nVidia graphics card settings for FS9 and the problem persisted. Does not appear to be any hardware issues on my PC. Got me stumped!

prob1.jpg

prob2.jpg

Mark Daniels

Hi Mark,

what numbers do the following lines in your fs9.cfg file show:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=

These are the parameters which, in my opinion, drive the width of the high resolution area around the player's plane.

Thanks and regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Thanks Harald, I did have all the terrain values fine tuned and also played with them and completely restored the default values, made no difference. I decided I'll just wipe FS and start fresh. I've only been flying world tours exploring airports and installing them as I go. When I'd explored them all I intended to wipe FS anyway and start fresh. Not going to cause any real issue to wipe it now so think I just will.

Mark Daniels

First it appears you have unlimited visibility selected. Reduce it to 60nm or so and report back to us.

Mitch

5 hours ago, PebbleBeach said:

First it appears you have unlimited visibility selected. Reduce it to 60nm or so and report back to us.

Mitch

Almost. However, thanks, your suggestion is quite good, reducing to 60 hides the problem. The problem is still there which it wasn't before even at unlimited. Now you have me thinking if 60 would be a better option all the time anyhow.

Mark Daniels

O.k., I just thought that an installer could have set the values to default ones.

Good luck for building up your sim again!

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Having done a proper flight now visibility makes no difference I can still see the problem. I'll need to fix it properly. Got me stumped what it is or how it was caused. I don't even think a FS wipe will fix it because I have already technically done this.

Mark Daniels

Did you install a new ground detail texture (detail1.bmp)? I remember having had something similar caused by mip mapping. The detail1.bmp should have mipmaps. I believe this is a blending issue as the ground detail is only depicted in a cross around your aircraft. Try setting terrain detail to off and see what happens, please.

Hi Sascha, I'm back to default FS now and have the same problem. I have tried your suggestion anyhow even though the detail1.bmp is now default. If you turn "Terrain Detail" down AND "Terrain Texture Size" to low you get the very pronounced cross under your aircraft. I also think I have a potential theory what may have caused it but still no solution. Need a little more time.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

Ok, right on top of it now, totally blown away! Couple more things to test and I'll post back in a day or so.

Mark Daniels

Final post on this for a while. After some more messing around I'm making progress. I can see it is going to take me weeks to get definitive results on what is happening here. I'll post back when I do.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher,

I tend to use 60nm for daytime flying including dusk and dawn.

However, at night time, i set it to 80nm as the lights really "pop". Lowering this setting at night makes the lights very subdue.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I have 60nm set now I think permanently. I'll take your advice and try 80nm for night flying.

Mark Daniels