Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Switching to xplane?

I posted this on another site, but there aren't as many people there as there are here. Basically I'm slightly annoyed with some features of FSX:SE, I think because it's not kept up to date. I was wondering if I should be using xplane instead? Nearly all my life I've used the MS version and loved it, but now I feel it's well out of date. 

I have never used xplane. Does it have things like atc? I can see some great addons for sale, but weather and atc are important for me. Also, is there something like Ultimate Traffic for xplane, so that it looks more real, and there's real AI feature? 

My basic query is, what's in one product that isn't in the other? 

Thanks, Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Hi Gary,

why don´t you try the demo of XP? XP has a ATC system, which has basically the same limitations like the MS FS ATC. The more accurate your flightplan is, the better it works. For Ai traffic, i use World Traffic, which isn´t easy to install, but if you get it running it works very well.

I would recommend you to try XP and also to test World Traffic. If i remember it correctly it has also a demo mode. Here you can get it: 

http://www.classicjetsims.com/WorldTraffic/

http://www.classicjetsims.com/WorldTraffic/updates.html

• Like 1

That sounds great! 

I really appreciate you getting back to me. I think I'll give it a go. 

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

5 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

, but weather and atc are important for me

While being one of the most die-hard X-Plane fans, the quoted section above makes me say: "no, X-Plane is currently not for you" 😉.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Weather, I think you will have to wait and see what Active Sky rolls out in the future. Rumor has it that they are developing for XP11 but details are slim. World Traffic for your AI needs is a great program and the aircraft models look really good. Can't comment on the ATC as I don't use it in XP11 or on the Microsoft side, P3D in my case.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

That sounds great! 

I really appreciate you getting back to me. I've bought it now and I find it difficult to get used to the new user interface and joystick sensitivity! I'm going to spend the day training and watching some YouTube videos! 

Thanks! 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

2 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

joystick sensitivity!

set your artificial stability sliders full left and your sensitivity sliders to about 50%

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks! 

Gaz on Facebook

Hello & Greetings, 

I am a longtime FSX/P3DV4 guy who recently made the leap to XP11 on what is currently an experimental journey. I am exclusively a GA type (former airline person in the real world). Overall, the XP11 platform is quite user friendly with more realistic engine behavior and flight dynamics, or so it seems. While the lack of ATC flexibility including lack of VFR is a bit of a bummer, I've learned older ATC programs like Radar Contact 4 (RC4) and PF3 have XP11 plugins and that offer some promise. 

I have a separate XP11 question that hopefully can be answered: In FSX/P3D the FSUIPC add-on permits specific mappings from keyboard entries to yoke buttons. What I am trying to accomplish in XP11 is to map the 1 and 2 keyboard keys to CH Eclipse Yoke buttons. This is for the purpose of utilizing the RC4 plugin for XP11 ATC comms. I have the XPUIPC installed but I see that is much different than FSUIPC. 

Many thanks. 

Being brand new to XPlane, maybe I'm not answering your question right, but changing and assigning keyboard and joystick buttons and great, and much better in XPlane, I think.  In the settings menu, there should be both Joystick and Keyboard buttons that let you do it.  I'm sorry if I haven't answered your question - good luck.

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

10 hours ago, Les Parson said:

What I am trying to accomplish in XP11 is to map the 1 and 2 keyboard keys to CH Eclipse Yoke buttons. This is for the purpose of utilizing the RC4 plugin for XP11 ATC comms. I have the XPUIPC installed but I see that is much different than FSUIPC. 

I think your best bet is using an external software, google for: joystick to key mapper.

One of those programs is for example joy2key

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

18 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I think your best bet is using an external software, google for: joystick to key mapper.

One of those programs is for example joy2key

Thanks, I'll check it out.

15 hours ago, Les Parson said:

What I am trying to accomplish in XP11 is to map the 1 and 2 keyboard keys to CH Eclipse Yoke buttons.

Look at AntiMicro: https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro for downloads (releases) and https://github.com/AntiMicro/antimicro/wiki for setup information. Although the website talks about gamepads it works with any plug-in controller. Small, easy to set up and very effective. I use it with my joystick and racing wheel.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello ….. is there a way to use X-Plane 11 mapping as FSX and/or P3d sim? Example, to zoom in/out I use the Spacer Key (holding down) from keyboard while I move the mouse pointer to view around like a camera.

Patricio Valdes