Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Switching to xplane?

Brace Thyself!

You'll get tons of opinions on addons what to do etc...  take it all in slowly if you can.  XP is totally different than the FSX you and I are used to.  ATC isn't a strong point of XP11 at the moment.  Weather is alright...  (but yeah it will be getting a lot better once AS brings their engine to xp).  Remember how much time and effort we all spent setting up FSX back in the day... all the tweaks etc...  you'll need to spend a fair bit to learn about addons, controls, sliders, etc etc.  Just don't give up after a day hehe.

AND, the most important thing.  You don't have to switch.  I run P3D v4 alongside XP11 daily.  Literally I'll fly somewhere online in P3D then switch to XP11.  I admit it will get a little expensive if you buy addons for both lol

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

49 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Hello ….. is there a way to use X-Plane 11 mapping as FSX and/or P3d sim? Example, to zoom in/out I use the Spacer Key (holding down) from keyboard while I move the mouse pointer to view around like a camera.

You betcha; I find it very flexible and easy to set-up. I use the mouse wheel to zoom and right-mouse to look around. As a long time FSX/P3D guy, I have been completely addicted to XP11 for about the last two months. I've find it to be a very stable and reliable platform. Of course continued improvement and development is needed for things such as ATC and AI in my view. 

I just installed the Demo X-Plane 11 and I don't see yet how to handle different views as panning like camera inside cockpit and outside. I will check on that later … 

Patricio Valdes

Try right mouse button click and hold and drag around.  You have to be in the virtual cockpit for that.  I think it's shift+1 or 2 maybe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I wanted to switch to XP when version 10 came out but it just didn't do it for me and I went back to FSX and then on to P3D.  When XP11 came out, I did that again. But, went back to P3D when the 64 bit version became available.  Well, about 18 months later, after long loading times and crashes, I'm now back to XP11.  I'm happy with the move (again) but still miss mostly decent ATC, traffic and seasons although there are options out there.

I like the fact that everything in XP is in place and not scattered all over my PC and that the installation of aircraft and scenery are quite easy.  Also, out of the box, it looks much better to me without having to add as much that I did in P3D.

But, I need to stop switching back and forth.  It takes awhile to get all the addons back each time!

Edited by ricka47

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

15 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I'm happy with the move (again) but still miss mostly decent ATC, traffic and seasons although there are options out there.

That stopped me going to xplane. I read an article on their site where they asked people what updates they want the most of, and poor ATC was the biggest response. I love xplane, but I simply won't use it because ATC is a big thing in both the real and virtual world! 

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Here is an excellent video on setting up the views for your planes....Its simple....Thats why I switched along with just using one hand to look around the cockpit with the mouse...

2 hours ago, Delta111 said:

Thats why I switched along with just using one hand to look around the cockpit with the mouse...

When I used xplane, I loved that feature as well. 

However, the ATC was so rubbish that I switched back to P3Dv4 and use the app called Chaseplane, and you can assign views from all sorts of places from there. I love it...  Its easy to assign a button to looking around, or switching from internal to external for example. I loved it so much I went out and bought a new mouse with loads of extra buttons... Now I hardly use the keyboard for looking around. 

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

4 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

When I used xplane, I loved that feature as well. 

However, the ATC was so rubbish that I switched back to P3Dv4 and use the app called Chaseplane, and you can assign views from all sorts of places from there. I love it...  Its easy to assign a button to looking around, or switching from internal to external for example. I loved it so much I went out and bought a new mouse with loads of extra buttons... Now I hardly use the keyboard for looking around. 

Gaz

The devs are working on an ATC fix as we speak! It will probably be a while before we see it in an update.....

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

7 minutes ago, strider1 said:

The devs are working on an ATC fix as we speak! It will probably be a while before we see it in an update.....

If they come out with it, I'm definitive gonna try it. Other than the ATC, I loved xplane. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

On 9/1/2018 at 5:40 AM, Gary McCluskey said:

f they come out with it, I'm definitive gonna try it. Other than the ATC, I loved xplane. 

Its a bit like saying, i love that car, best one you can buy, buy I dont like the colour so ill get the cheap one... ATC is an issue but flying in XPLANE even without it surpasses everything else.

13 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

ATC is an issue but flying in XPLANE even without it surpasses everything else

I have actually know two people not buying card because they don't like the colours available! Anyway, in the world of aviation, I would have thought that ATC is pretty critical - I don't want to fly without instructions from them. I'm trying a feww programs, including Pro ATC/X with P3D as well.

To be honest, I think, with flight simming, we all like something different about it - and for me ATC is pretty important, and I can understand it if it's different for other people.

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

3 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

I would have thought that ATC is pretty critical

In commercial aviation, it is.  But you wouldn't believe the number of private pilots in the US that go to great lengths never to speak to ATC due to the perceived intimidation factor. In that respect, they agonize over it even more than the average new comer to online ATC.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.