Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Andersen

My experience in P3D of upgrading from a 4790K to 8700K system

My experience of upgrading from 4790K to 8700K system

I just wanted to briefly share my experience, as I myself was very curious about this topic before taking the plunge.

Before:

4790K (slight OC to 4,5 ghz), GTX 1070, 16 MB ram, Win 7

Completely new system:

8700K (slight OC to 4,8 Ghz), GTX 1080TI, 16 MB ram, win 10

Both systems on a 2k monitor

While there were many different views, I felt the consensus was that upgrading from such a system would be dubious, at least you would have to pay quite a bit per extra frame! Which is probably true, given that my new system cost me about 2200 EUR (in Norway).

However, after one week of use, I must say that I am very pleased with the upgrade. Clearly, I also got a much better graphics card, so that probably also contributed to the increased performance in P3DV4. And perhaps the whole system worked synergistically to give me increased performance, all though I am not qualified to explain that.

But I do see a really nice performance boost, in most situations. Hard to give a number, but If I must I would say about 20-35% depending on the situation. And much less blurries, faster scenery loading time, less stutters. And I am able to have higher graphics settings, significantly increasing the immersion. Most sliders 1 notch from top right. Sparse grid supersampling at 4x. Very high shadows settings. 

A few FPS examples, although its hard to compare this scientifically due to all the variables.

Flying around ORBX Narvik in A2A 182. Getting around 60 fps.

Taking off with PMDG 737 from ENBR (with FTX Norway), or Lima in Peru. Around 40 FPS.

The key thing is that most of the time I am above 30 FPS, which is my threshold for nice fluid simulation. Still, major urban areas can still be heavy on the frames. Around Los Angeles and London for example. But that is as expected.

P3DV4 looks beautiful now and performs much smoother. I can enjoy ORBX scenery in all its glory. I am a happy simmer now. Simming Nirvana is coming closer by the day! 🙂

• Like 3

Fascinating, I did the exact upgrade a month and a half ago with similar findings. The big difference here is the use of 30Hz on my 4K 50" screen, which made things worse in WIn 7. Now at 30Hz and checking vsynch and TB with unlimited frames it's smooth and stutter free, mostly. 

P3DV4.2 and XP11.

Greg G 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I am myself looking at getting the i7 8700K later in the year. Good to see that its work the £250+.

I have an i7 2600K so I should see a significant jump!

While those comparisons pop up from time to time when a new processor generation is released, they are usually not really informative, sorry to say. Why?

1. not enough information given. Without a summary of the precise settings used in P3Dv4.2 and nVidia Control Panel, statements like "20-30% better performance" is worth very little...

2. replacing most of the Hardware results in a new installation of both the OS and the simulator. Usually, a brand new Installation performs in any case better, even on the same hardware.

This seems to be rather harsh, I know, but as I also took the plunge in switching from a 3770K running with 4.5GHz to a 8700K running at 5.0GHz, I know now that 99% of my performance increase is simply due to the 500MHz higher clock speed. While I was also amazed about the potential increase in performance after my original first time installation of P3Dv4.2 on the new build, some months later with all addons installed, I am back on earth. Still the same issues: blurries, if the settings are not right, stutters without AM tweak, late autogen loading in performance heavy scenarios (e.g. FT Sydney and FTX Australia).

That's why I am always interested in the full list of settings. Including the use of VSYNC, Tiplebuffering, water reflection settings, shadow cast and receive settings and so on. Usually, when comparing those, I realize that my settings are that high, that there is no surprise in not reaching those fabulous FPS numbers other users with an overclocked 8700K have...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi Chris

I have installed almost all my p3d addons to my new system, as well as other software, so that shouldnt be a factor. 

My fps increase number is more anecdotal evidence rather than scientific. 

Even still, I fell pretty confident that my new system yields me significantly higher FPS compared to my old system under very similar conditions.

And more importantly I can turn up the eye candies and still enjoy smooth flight. Scenery shadows settings almost on max (quality, distance, cast and receive boxes ticked). That was defininately not possible in my old system (at decent fps). 

Thomas

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well you changed from a pretty lady to a top model, so its normal to see those differences 😉 Congrats!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

46 minutes ago, Thomas Andersen said:

I have installed almost all my p3d addons to my new system, as well as other software, so that shouldnt be a factor. 

Believe me, a brand new Installation even with all addons is always performing better than a year old (aged) Installation. Unless you really never change anything within such a year, which is rather unlikely (at least on my end).

And more importantly I can turn up the eye candies and still enjoy smooth flight. Scenery shadows settings almost on max (quality, distance, cast and receive boxes ticked). That was defininately not possible in my old system (at decent fps). 

I would still be happy if you could provide some screenshots of the four relevant setting pages within P3D if you find time for this. And what's about your nVidia Control Panel settings? nVidia Inspector settings?

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I often just LOL when I read these threads about upgrades that yield higher fps, "but" at locations like London, NYC, and Seattle, fps are still just not good enough. I prefer to lower my settings than spend thousands for a few fps.

I'll continue to wait and see where CPU speeds go from here.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

@AnkH - Please post your bios settings.  I have the 8700K (water cooled but not delidded) with Gigabyte Aorus MB and cannot for the life of me get a stable overclock.  Every time I overclock even a little bit my sim crashes, I get strange anomolies, etc, etc.  I would be very happy with 4.7 or 4.8 running stable.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Mark, try this website - Overclock[.]Net

You'll find lots of help there. Overclocking is as much an art as it is a science so stay patient and stick with it.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

I would have upgraded my system by now as well, but I'm still very pleased with my 4790K @4.6 Jetline system running all them same high quality ASP4/ASCA/PMDG/Orbx/Flightbeam/A2A/GSX/UTL/ENVTEX/ENVSHADE addons at very high settings. I lock at 20 FPS.....Crisco Butter. 

The 8700K is a crackin' CPU. Have it running at 5GHz myself and it's really munching up everything you throw at it.

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I recently built a new system with an 8700K.  I highly recommend purchasing the CPU from Silicon Lottery.  Each CPU they sell has been tested and binned for a particular overclock speed.  The faster the speed, the higher the cost.  Plus they delid the processor before shipping.  I purchased  an 8700 tested and guaranteed to run stable at 5.0 GHz at a vcore of 1.40v.  I have it overclocked at 5.0 GHz at a vcore of 1.38v, and it runs stable and rock solid.  It also runs cool under load due to the delidding, with max. core temps at 100% load for all cores on the order of 55 degrees C with liquid cooling.  I am running with HT off.  From now on, I will only purchase processors from them.  I believe there is a similar company selling delidded and binned processors in Europe, but I don't recall their name.

Cheers, Gerald

• Like 1