Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Looking around the cockpit

Hi

I only just started using xplane now, and there's stuff on there I love. I'd like to ask a question about view settings. The URL below shows someone moving around their aircraft smoothly, especially the cockpit. Also, he shows that he can see the aircraft from outside and circle around the plane with it in the middle of the screen (in fsx, I remember using my joystick hat to do that). 

Can someone give me guidance on this? Do I need to buy software to move around, and look around smoothly? The shift+1-9 keys don't seem to be able to do this. 

Thanks, Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

I'm no expert in XPlane, in fact I don't even have it, but I have been researching it. I believe most agree that XPlane's internal view system is pretty robust. If that doesn't work for you, try looking up a program called X-Camera.

Sheldon

Sheldon "Bill" Williams

Uhm... Can't see any URL. In any case, with default key assignments, you should be able to:

.) keeping pressed the right mouse button and move the mouse to pan around. Double clicking right mouse button will "latch" the function, another click will unlatch it.

.) using the keyboard arrows (not the numpad ones) to move the viewpoint up, down, left, right. Having "Shift" pressed will move faster.

.) there are two other keys to move the viewpoint forward and aft (in my case, they're at the right of the "M" key, don't know if they change depending on the keyboard layout). Even in this case, having "Shift" pressed will move faster.

.) All of these should work both in cockpit ("W" key) and in external views (e.g. "Shift + 4" for circle external view).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

10 minutes ago, bill10 said:

I'm no expert in XPlane, in fact I don't even have it, but I have been researching it. I believe most agree that XPlane's internal view system is pretty robust. If that doesn't work for you, try looking up a program called X-Camera.

Sheldon

As Sheldon said, X-Plane's default view system is actually really good. I prefer it over P3D's. Here is a link for some key commands if you scroll down to the View Commands section, you'll see your typical commands for Spot Views and Cockpit views and so on that you'll be used to.

For just freely moving around like you mentioned such as in the cockpit, or walking back into the cabin or just outside the aircraft, that is when you can use the period and comma keys for moving forward or backward. If you hold shift+ comma or shift+period it will move at a faster pace. The arrow keys can be used, self explanitory there. As well as using the right mouse click to point where you want to look. This should work with any of the views, but if you hit the C key, that will take you to the Free Camera view and you can move about wherever you like.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

I can't believe it! You're recommendations are brilliant, looking around it much better is X-plane now.

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate it.

Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook