Sign in to follow this  
astroavion

Ortho Problem

I just spent the last 36 hours trying to install and convert textures for Arizona Ortho scenery. Now XP11.2 won't start at all. I tried removing the two folders; yOrtho4XP_Overlays, and Arizona_2015_1m. And nothing changed. I get a CTD. I followed the directions exactly as stated in the instructions on the forum.

So, screw it. Installing this complicated thing is over my head. Should have left well-enough alone. So how do I reverse all of what I just did so i can return to my default scenery so I have a flight sim again? I assume I am just going to have re-install X-Plane. I am not looking for another download three more programs or do 42 more steps to get this to work or anything like that. I just want to reverse the damage it seems to have caused me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by astroavion

I am sorry to hear it doesn't work for you.

Difficult to tell what went wrong, if all you tell us is it doesn't work.
Did you copy or linked those directories into the Custom Scenery folder in the main X-Plane directory? The only thing to do, is remove them from there.

X-Plane has not been touched in any other way by Ortho4XP.

Also, you tell you tried to remove  Arizona_2015_1m. This is not the correct, It sounds to me you tried to install the files downloaded from the provider directly. You should have used the directories in Ortho4XP/Tiles instead.

The naming is something like: zOrtho4XP_XX+YYY with the XX and YYY defining the tile you created. This is all automated.

If x-plane keeps crashing, please provide the Logs.txt file from the last try, so we can see what is wrong.

And I found the tiles pre compiled for you, if you still want to see what it looks like: 

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/24288/x-plane-11-10-orthophoto-scenery-arizona/

Jan

• Like 1

Also, there is never the need to reinstall X-Plane completely, in worst case, you can delete whatever you think is causing trouble, and rerun the installer. For example, rename "Custom Scenery" to something else, rerun the installer, this will give you the default contents. Then you can copy over the installed scenery from your old Custom Scenery and check for errors, undo the last if you find anything wrong.

If there is a problem with the config files, delete the Output/preferences folder, and restart X-Plane, it will recreate everything (but you will also have to setup all keyboard commands, joysticks etc from scratch. if you don't want to do that, only remove those prf files you think causing problems, like X-Plane.prf).

But without the Log.txt contents, we can only guess what is breaking your installation.

• Like 1

Xplane has amazing scenery for free but it does require a high level of user input so its a bit late now but either a regular back up or a second xplane being installed in vanilla version for testing is a must

• Like 1

ZORAN

Thanks for the replies. My problem, which I fixed, was quite simple, actually. I was of the understanding when you put scenery into the scenery folder, the ini file automatically writes the new scenery info lines at the bottom. I checked it, and saw that the two lines were not there, so I simply added them and it worked. I feel stupid :p. I am pretty sure all of my other sceneries I added automatically wrote to the ini file.

I now noticed that I have no night lights, or vehicles. Does Ortho not feature this?

I am very new to X-Plane, but have been using Microsoft flight sims for over 20 years.

Thanks again,

AG

Edited by astroavion

4 hours ago, astroavion said:

I now noticed that I have no night lights, or vehicles. Does Ortho not feature this?

It sounds like you may not have the layering right or perhaps you did not generate overlays to go with your orthos.  

Your scenery_packs.ini should have entries similar to this with the yOrtho4XP_Overlays above the orthos.

SCENERY_PACK G:\Ortho4XP\yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK G:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\zOrtho4XP_+24-081/
SCENERY_PACK G:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\zOrtho4XP_+24-082/
SCENERY_PACK G:\Ortho4XP\Tiles\zOrtho4XP_+25-081/

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Well, I only have these two entries:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yOrtho4XP_Overlays/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_Arizona

And they sit in that order, above.

Hmmm. It should work then.  Maybe try generating the overlays for Arizona again. Have 8TB of Ortho4XP and occassionally I've found tiles where I missed generating the overlay or perhaps I had tried generating it from the wrong directory. Regenerating the overlay always fixed the issue. If you have overlays for the corresponding tiles in the yOrtho4XP_Overlays folder you should get roads, lights, cars etc. on top of your orthoscenery.

• Like 1

Martin 

37 minutes ago, astroavion said:

Not sure I understand what you mean by "generating the overlays".

Perhaps that is the problem then. When you open Ortho4XP there is a section at the bottom titled Build Overlays. You need to check the box by Custom overlay dir: and then select the path to your X-Plane 11 Global Scenery Folder (The one containing the Earth nav data folder). Make sure you have selected the tile you want to build the overlay for from the Earth Tile Map and then just click the build overlay button. They only take a few minutes each to build. Do that for each tile that you have covered in ortho scenery. After that you should have full roads, traffic and autogen on top of your ortho scenery.

• Like 1

Martin 

Hmm. No, I don't see anything like that in either folder. In the folder "yOrtho4XP_Overlays" there is only a folder "earthnavdata" inside of which are two folders, +30-110 and +30-120.

Inside the other folder, Arizona_2015_1m are three folders, earthnavdata, terrain and textures.

None of these contain anything entitled "Build Overlays".

Maybe I didn't download the right items or perhaps deleted them after the conversion process.

Thanks Again,

Andrew