Sign in to follow this  
Rayhan Maulana Ahmada

Which is better? V4 or V3

im currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now i feel like i just want to move from FSX to P3D. now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3. short answer is recommended

I have a 4 year old desktop, and V3.4 runs well on my rig with medium to higher settings , giving me FPS around 30-35 average. My rig, according to LM recommendations, is not sufficient to properly run V4, and since I have never had an OOM, and my sim never crashes, I am going to stay with V3.4 until my PC dies altogether. I would think that a 3 year old laptop would struggle to run V4. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

27 minutes ago, hmuller said:

Go v3 , more stable.

Care to elaborate?

Matt Wilson

I have found V4 pretty stable. I don't crash anymore when memory runs out. So I am not sure more stable is an accurate term. From what I have read here, V4 seems to be pretty solid for others as well. I still think V4 would be the solution. From my experiences, the newer release is often more solid after they had time to iron out the newer release kinks, V4 has been out for around a year now. You just should not run the sliders all the way up. Also, should you go out and win the lottery and have some free dollars, you can upgrade your rig too and already have the newer license. You need to check your hardware specification and match them to what LM recommends. 

4. All day. No comparison.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Why would you not go with the latest version??  V4 is perfectly stable for me and being 64 bit means no VAS worries.  It is much better than V3 IMO....

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

40 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

Why would you not go with the latest version??  V4 is perfectly stable for me and being 64 bit means no VAS worries.  It is much better than V3 IMO....

Because as the OP stated, he has a 3 year old Laptop. LM recommends for V4, a Quad core 3.5 GB per core, 16 gigs of ram, and a GPU with 8GB. Don't think you are going to find that in a 3 year old laptop very often. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

the only issue I have with V4 is blurred textures if you run with unlimited Frames. I think this is because FFTF is ignored by the program when running unlimited frames. I'll hazard a guess that V3 is the same in this regard but when I tuned my system to maintain 30fps at Unlimited frames in V3 I did not have a problem with blurries!

4 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Care to elaborate?

Yes !  I (and other users) had a CTD,Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll with FSLabs A320,so far no solution to the problem from FSlabs. Guess what?

Only with P3Dv4... 

With P3Dv3 no problems (with the same situation,scenery,weather,etc).

Edited by hmuller

Hamilton Müller

12 minutes ago, hmuller said:

Yes !  I (and other users) had a CTD,Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll with FSLabs A320,so far no solution to the problem from FSlabs. Guess what?

Only with P3Dv4... 

With P3Dv3 no problems (with the same situation,scenery,weather,etc).

The 64-bit P3Dv4 version of the FSLabs A320 is not the same program as the (32-bit) version that runs on P3Dv3.  So blaming P3Dv4 because one add-on had problems running with it on your system, while a different version of the add-on runs OK on a different version of P3D (and a whole bunch of different libraries etc) doesn't really lead to any conclusion that points to P3Dv4.  It's like saying that a Ford Mustang is bad because it ran poorly with gas from a 7-11, while an older Ford Taurus ran just fine with gas from Circle-K.  One implies nothing about the other.

For the OP--v4 has absolutely been the most stable version of P3D for me.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

10 hours ago, Rayhan Maulana Ahmada said:

im currently playing fsx SE. and it runs well to about 25-35 fps. Now i feel like i just want to move from FSX to P3D. now the thing is my laptop is  from 2015. and so i was thinking which to choose, the v4 or the v3. short answer is recommended

I'd recommend you remain with FSX:SE, until you acquire the hardware to run P3D V4.  If you're looking for an upgrade, acquire DX10 fixer, which will close the gap between FSX SE and P3D V3.  You're not going to get a significant return on your investment by upgrading to V3; after all, this is obsolete software.  As you recall, a lot of developers have moved exclusively to V4.  So, what advantages are you really gaining?  In essence, you're changing one abandon software for another.  In short, if you don't feel like your laptop can handle V4, stick with what you have.  Instead of spending money on V3 software, save it to procure more cable hardware.  It doesn't sound like your current setup has the capacity to take advantage of V4 features...   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt King

Although not being a P3D user that much ( seldom use it, and mostly for FSLabs A320 ), it is by far the most stable and performant of all version of P3D I have used, since the first released ( still 32 bit ).

I got with it the best frames, and the less stutters I had got before with other versions.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I believe (but please correct me if I'm wrong) that Lockheed Martin has a 60 day refund policy on their products.

If so, and you're really interested, then maybe try P3Dv4 for a bit (not over 60 days) to see if you can get it to work at least reasonably well on your laptop, and if not, then request a refund.

I don't think there's  enough improvement between FSX-SE and P3Dv3 to justify the cost of changing to P3Dv3 at the present time..

In my own opinion, P3Dv4 is the way to go for the forseeable future.

- Bob