Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Small(er) GA AI in P3Dv4

2 hours ago, BBCM said:

Did you have to rename the FSX Traffic-GA.bgl to get it to work in P3Dv4, or did you just copy and paste as is?

I did a copy and paste... it was easy as that.

1 hour ago, johnbla said:

It creates a bgl file of 1kb.

For reference, the bgl file I'm currently using is 31.6MB.  What are you using for AI aircraft and does the application see them?

Greg

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

For reference, the bgl file I'm currently using is 31.6MB.  What are you using for AI aircraft and does the application see them?

Hi, I am using the stock P3D aircraft. When I click the aircraft tab in GA Traffic nothing appears so the application is not seeing them.

If you are not that picky regarding registrations on the GA textures, you can easily use the ORBX GA traffic world wide using a configurable traffic addon. Thats what I do. I simply reassigned the full UT2 GA database to those ORBX models and now I have them flying around all over the world.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

11 hours ago, johnbla said:

Hi, I am using the stock P3D aircraft. When I click the aircraft tab in GA Traffic nothing appears so the application is not seeing them.

Same here.

I guess I am as dumb as a bag of boots, but do not know how to do this whatsoever.

Found the FSX Traffic-GA program downloaded, pointed at P3Dv4, ran it and there are no GA showing up in the P3d root files, or when sim is running.

Getting old...

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Can't seem to spell very good!

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Same here.

I guess I am as dumb as a bag of boots, but do not know how to do this whatsoever.

Found the FSX Traffic-GA program downloaded, pointed at P3Dv4, ran it and there are no GA showing up in the P3d root files, or when sim is running.

Getting old...

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

No, there's no way I can see of just pointing FSX Traffic-GA at P3Dv4 and letting it run.. 

You have to set it up and compile completely in FSX first. Once done, you then copy the resulting Traffic-GA.bgl from FSX's scenery/world/scenery folder over to P3Dv4's scenery/world/scenery folder. 

This requires that you have a working copy of FSX installed as well as P3Dv4.

But while this is an interesting app, for me it's going to take a lot of work to get it properly working in FSX, much less P3Dv4. The problem is the auto plane scan for ai suitable planes. It seems to take everything under a certain weight. The author in his read me said he didn't have much payware. But I have a lot. The scan was choosing all of my Alebo's, Carenado's, A2A accusim GA's, Global ai shipping ships, etc, etc.

Because of the file size and complexity of some of these planes, I would probably get CTD's if the app tried to use them for ai. And of course, you can't use the non-plane vehicles.

So this would mean a fair amount of work on my part going through Traffic-GA's plane list  and de-activationg all the items unsuitable for ai planes. More work than I really want to spend at the present time.

I was hoping the ai plane scan would have a manual component that would allow me to browse and select specific folders or files.

But it's still a very interesting app.  Maybe some time when I'm feeling less lazy, I'll go through and set it up properly. 

Thanks again to Greg for bringing the app to my attention.

- Bob 

Edited by BBCM
  • Upvote 1

It has been a couple of years since I last used this app, and then it was with FSX.  I just installed it on my system again, this time with only P3Dv4 installed.  I had the same problems everyone else has had... the app won't read my sim's airports, and it won't see my installed aircraft.  The scenery read issue is easy to resolve... just remove the "objects.dat" file from the FSX GA-Traffic directory, and then restart the app.  It will then read all the scenery directories in your sim and create another objects.dat.

The issue with the app interrogating for installed GA aircraft is the killer.  I too have been unsuccessful at getting the app to read any of my aircraft.  I have an FSX,exe in my main P3Dv4 folder, but no joy.  All of the AI that were installed in my FSX are also installed in P3Dv4; didn't help at all.  That v4 is a 64bit app is not a problem because all the AI aircraft I had in FSX were simply copied over to P3Dv4.  No matter what I've tried the app will not see any of my installed aircraft in P3Dv4.

I agree with Bob that one must have a working FSX installed... somewhere.  Then the app would create the Traffic-GA.bgl that is required (and as well one would want to copy their AI GA aircraft over to P3Dv4... more on this below).

2 hours ago, BBCM said:

But while this is an interesting app, for me it's going to take a lot of work to get it properly working in FSX, much less P3Dv4. The problem is the auto plane scan for ai suitable planes. It seems to take everything under a certain weight. The author in his read me said he didn't have much payware. But I have a lot. The scan was choosing all of my Alebo's, Carenado's, A2A accusim GA's, Global ai shipping ships, etc, etc.

It's quite easy to exclude any GA aircraft you wish not to use as AI.  Additionally, I learned not to include payware aircraft as AI.  Even when using the app's "Make AI" feature (which converts non AI aircraft into low-poly AI), the file size of the aircraft can be excessive if you wish to have a fair amount of GA AI traffic.  I limited my AI candidates to HTAI (perfect for this application), low-poly freeware GA aircraft that were then run through the Make AI feature, and the standard low poly (by today's standards) FSX stock aircraft like the 172, 208, Bravo.

Hopefully someone will figure out how to force the app to read the aircraft installed in P3Dv4, then the app will be quite useful.  I really enjoy flying with what FSX Traffic-GA has allowed me to create.  I fly GA only and own many of the ORBX offerings... their parked aircraft and the bgl created by FSX Traffic-GA make my airports alive and busy.

Greg

Edited by lownslo
Cuz I'm still learnin to spel

Hi guys, thanks to all those who have provided some important information re this app, especially Iownslo and BBCM. 

I have P3D v4 only installed on my system. Can I reinstall FSX and then run GA Traffic, being careful to only use the aircraft that are common to FSX and P3D and then just copy the bgl file over to P3D? 

Also, I see references to HTAI. Could someone please enlighten me on what this is.

Many thanks

John