Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Sad news - Cuba Plane Crash....

sad news indeed im cuban and from the city of holguin where the flight was headed to my dads friend son was on board and died he was a tampa resident visiting his family in cuba his  wife is one of the only 3 survivors . one of the only details i know so far is the crew requested a runway chance at the last minute an there was recent windshear advisories ... on the other hand for some weird reason the old 200 series among other older aircraft as a pilot i always have a weird feeling when on board this planes . 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I wonder if the right engine had the reverser deployed. This somewhat reminds me of the Pacific Western 737-200 crash in Cranbrook BC in 1978. The similarity is not in the circumstances in the setup to the accident, but in the attitude of the aircraft during the crash.

I lost a friend and colleague, Jake Plett in that crash and studied the findings closely. In that case an asymmetrical (forward - reverse) thrust-drag condition with the left reverser deployed with flaps and gear extended caused the accident.

The aircraft just could not fly under the circumstances, but something must have happened that spun that Cuban flight as well. Not trying to speculate but on looking at that footage I see nearly the same thing that was reported 40 years before.

It was not supposed to happen again and was thought to have the risk mitigated when the 737-300 series was built, but of course this is the same plane (more or less) as the PWA. Pause for thought...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Western_Airlines_Flight_314

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer 

Edited by SpiritFlyer