Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

GTX 1080 to 1080ti upgrade

Hello

I am trying to find out the experience of someone who has used an  I7-7700 processor and 4K monitor with a GTX 1080 Graphics card upgraded to a 1080ti with PMDG aircraft and is pleased with the performance increase in relation to cost of upgrade.

I have the opportunity to upgrade from GTX1080 to GTX1080ti (Asus Rog Strix 11GB) for approximately £500.  I would be interested to know if the performance increase between the two graphics cards warrants the £500 cost

Clive Alexander

I upgraded from the 1080 to the 1080ti (Asus Rog Strix 11GB) and doubt it increased performance since P3D is more dependent on the CPU than the GPU.  I only upgraded as it was the card I originally wanted when I built my system but it was not available.  Bought the new 1080ti and sold the "old" one on E-Bay but there is no way I can remember how much more I ended up paying.  Don't think it was much more than $200 as I bought the 1080ti when it was first released and before the Bitcoin miners created a major cost increase.  Heard the cards are back down to reasonable costs again as the markets have been replenished.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply, therefore would you say that the performance increase is not worth the upgrade?

Upgrading my processor would be better?

Hi,

I doubt you will see an appreciable difference going from the 7700K to say an 8700K. From all the research I've done, you are looking at maybe 2-3 FPS at best.

• Like 1

Absolutely not worth the 500. Going from a 1070 to a 1080ti would be worth it but not the 1080. Spend your funds elsewhere. The 7700k is still a viable CPU and you should be able to get 5ghz or close out of it. I doubt a new CPU would benefit you at this point.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Clive6354,

I do not believe you would achieve anything with the proposed upgrade.  My advice, if you really, really have to spend that 500 pounds is to wait for the next gen 2080ti which, I believe,  is going to be a significant upgrade.  Even that however, is unlikely to make your eyes pop.

Seriously, I think you would be well advised to spend your money elsewhere.

Regards

Tony Chilcott

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Same generation upgrades seldom yield any noticeable performance increase, unless you bought bargain basement hardware in the first place. In your situation , not worth it, save for next gen hardware or go have a fun weekend somewhere.

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

From all the research I've done, you are looking at maybe 2-3 FPS at best.

If this happens in "hard on fps" scenery areas with complex airliners, it's absolutely worth it. This is how we should test performance. Of course, GA flyers should not be interested in this

2-3 fps for £500 is not worth it. I would only seriously consider this if I had an "unlimited money" tree growing in my back garden.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thank you all for your comments.  I was excited to find that I could obtain a new GX 1080ti for approx £500 but all your comments have saved me money and disapointment, thank you.

What if I sell my existing system and purchase a new system (i7-8700 with an GTX 1080ti) that is compared with i7-7700 and GTX 1070

3 hours ago, clive6354 said:

Thank you all for your comments.  I was excited to find that I could obtain a new GX 1080ti for approx £500 but all your comments have saved me money and disapointment, thank you.

What if I sell my existing system and purchase a new system (i7-8700 with an GTX 1080ti) that is compared with i7-7700 and GTX 1070

Don't let the comments on these boards lead you to any conclusion. Do your homework, cross referencing many sources, especially sources away from these boards. Sometimes coming here for an opinion is like asking someone who loves their 2002 Ford Taurus if they'd recommend a Ferrari. 

Ask yourself, and understand why you posted here in the 1st place -what do want out of your P3dv4 experience? Have you taken your existing -dialed in system to the limits ....Are you sure?

If so, then do know that a Coffee Lake system paired with a 1080 ti is superior to your current system. And the plain and simple fact is P3DV4 performance will also be superior. 

p.s. oh, and super fast hi quality monitor matters, also.

Edited by FunknNasty
p.s.

Hi Clive

Take it from me  .. don't waste your money moving from a 1080 to a 1080Ti  ... hold fire for the next generation of NVidia cards namely the GTX2070 ... 2070Ti .. 2080 and 2080Ti

Yes .. they will be in short supply for a while and be pricey but those who wait will reap the benefits!!!

You will have also noticed graphics cards have come down in price lately  ..... Hmmmm I wonder why?? 

Paul 

• Like 1

Never spend a lot of money  for another card unless making a series or two jump. Good move not to purchase another 1080.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 5/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, Jim Young said:

Heard the cards are back down to reasonable costs again as the markets have been replenished.

Not really.  They are still $200-$300 over what they debuted at.