Sign in to follow this  
Xris

Drop of fps while flying

Good morning.

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon when flying long haul. I usually start at a detailed airport, such as Frankfurt (Germany) and have about 23-25 fps. While flying, the frames drop permanently to as low as 14 fps. That takes place over a longer period of time and I've no clue for which reason they do so.

At the moment, I'm enroute from EDDF to KATL on VMAX767. After about 5 hours of flight, my fps gradually went down to 15fps. I restarted my Xplane (only the software) and changed nothing. The frames went up to 25-38 fps.

Here is my config:

Xplane 11.2, VMAX 767, Ortho4XP on i7 3770k, 1080GTX, 24GB RAM

Before restart:

https://picload.org/view/doopridi/1.jpg.html

https://picload.org/view/doopriar/3.jpg.html

After restart:

https://picload.org/view/doopridw/2.jpg.html

https://picload.org/view/doopriaa/5.jpg.html

Thank you for your help.

Christian

What scenery are you using ?  Default ? SimHeaven ? Orthos ?

What mesh ?  Default ? Alpilotx's Mesh HD v3 or v4 ?

What weather ? Yesterday I flew around EDDF ( not very usual... ) with both the Toliss A319 and the FF A320, and the weather was really dense, with cloud layers extending, even with default X-plane weather, to the tops... This had some huge impact in my rig, and old i5 2500 ( 8 years ) with GTX 960 GPU.

Have you disabled threaded optimization in Nvidia ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi José.

I use Ortho4XP but only at the airport (this particular tile). Framerate wasn't affected by the Frankfurt tile and Atlanta tile was far away (Atlantic Ocean). Mesh is default.

I disabled thread optimization via Nvidia settings and used the settings recommended on the german vatsim board.

I was able to reproduce the problem and saw the frames kicking back in when i approached and left the area above the clouds.

Now I'm trying Auto_LOD plugin, which keeps the frames at or above 30 fps... which seems to be nice. However, that just feels like a workaround.

Cheers

Chris

Might be due to the huge OSM data around those airports ?

SimHeaven Europe 2 certainly plants a lot of buildings around EDDF.

Then the dense skies with various overcast and thick layers also make the fps go near 20 - 21 on my rig, while usually they're above 30 when using either the Tolis A319 or the FF A320.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

José.

Yesterday, I made it into Zurich and frames dropped to 15 fps while descending. They - however - increased once I came closer to the ground back to 20 fps.

While descending I switched of rainy weather and had no fps increase. Therefor I guess, the CPU i7 3770k, has trouble with calculating the amount of data of the OSM.

I can live with that, but what I don't get is, for which reason does the CPU has no problems whatsoever when departing a complex scenery but struggles with the arrival.

Leaving Zurich gave me 30 fps in comparison to 20...

Strange xris 😕

my old i5 2500 performs more or less acceptably, but I have to admit I use mid to low graphics settings, and scenery... and fly mostly around her ( Portugal ) and Spain ...

Just go abroad when in search of bad weather scenarios 🙂  and that's how I ended up flying around at EDDF the other day.

My GPU is the gTX 960 4GB - I have very good results with it.

Main Simulation Rig:

Hmm... My settings are (left handside GPU bound) "great" but not perfect - 1080gtx and (right handside CPU bound) okay. Additionally, I got 24Gb 1600Mhz RAM.

With such RAM and GPU, your PC should fly when you start XP11 🙂

Well, have you looked at the output logs to try to detect any problem ?

Do you have XP11 on an SSD or HDD ? If on SSD, have you disabled file indexing on the sim partition ?

Hyperthreading also comes to my mind... My i5 doesn't have it of course, but have you tried with HT enabled and disabled ?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

I might have something here. Log-file gives me:

"0:02:05.505 E/DSF: The DSF Custom Scenery/simHeaven_X-Europe-3-network/Earth nav data/+40+000/+48+009.dsf has a number of problems with its road network: 195 doubled nodes, 0 direction reverses, 0 short segments, 102 roads deleted."

I've deletet X-Europe and don't see any fps decrease... Have to verify that again, but problem MAY have been solved. Have you seen any problems with X-Europe and Ortho4XP?

Cheers

Chris

Well,

I started using X-Europe last week only, but without any Orthos. It was already with X-Europe that I noticed the fps drop into the low 20s near EDDF.

At LPPT where I do 90% of my sim flights in XP ( and pretty much all other sims 🙂 )  I noticed no drop, even when I set scenery complexity to Medium.

So I guess it might really be X-Europe related ( ? ). I'll fwd a link of this thread to Tony - maybe he can decipher that log above 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

I am sorry for the writing. English autocorrection is a bit tricky on a German phone. 🙂

:-)

It would be a problem for me only if you wrote in your native language :-)

Let's wait for Tony to glimpse this thread ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I'm going to say it's xEurope. Especially in Germany, it can be very heavy in places, especially as X-Plane loads in areas or when panning around.

• Like 1