Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Why didn't I ever think of it ?...

Well, not 100% true because I actually used and tried it this way, although I never though about it being probably the best way to use an airliner simulation for someone with a low end rig and or a single monitor ( although two monitor would be an option too, one for specific pan windows and the other just for the external view ).

I was browsing YouTube on my daily poll for simulation best moments and found this interesting video, recorded I believe with the PMDG 737. It's really the most effective way, specially in the absence of a full mockup / home cockpit... The PFD / NDs / MFDs / etc... are made wide enough to facilitate their reading, instead of looking at a dwarfed cockpit, with a distorted view, and heavy on frames for those without modern, up-2-date hardware...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oVEn7JEmBo

I just don't understand why the PFD / ND do not refresh during the initial stages of the video ( they're frozen for a good while ? )…. Might it be due to the recording software being used ?

Edited by Jim Young
I hid the topic as the video was not embedded. Tried to embed a link but it stated this type of video cannot be embedded.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'd prefer a 'dwarfed cockpit, with a distorted view' any time any day. 😉 How it's done in this video looks totally odd and unrealistic to me. I simply couldn't enjoy it. (And btw did you notice that utterly awful reflection during take off...!?!?!)