Sign in to follow this  
CKAJCA

VoxAtc and Active Sky Next

I apologise if this is a dumb question but sometimes I get allocated strange runways for departure, sids and stars.

I run Active Sky Next with VoxAtc 7.41

Is VoxAtc using the data from Active Sky or from FSX in order to allocate runway directions and sids and stars?

colin

the weather in fsx is what is injected by asn .... runway selection is influenced by the airport's afcad as much as a "scoring" by / within fsx about prevailing conditions (allowed tailwinds/xwinds, navaids etc....) & I believe VoxATC reads that assigned runway data (??).

hope others can help you / me on this.

for now, cheers

john martin

vadriver is correct. If one has disparities between the most recent AIRAC used in VOXATC and the data in the airport's ADE file, odd ATC instructions could occur. VOXATC works best with 3rd party airports which are maintained with current AIRAC data.

As to stock airports, fsaerodata updates all the comms and approaches to the latest AIRAC. One other point (although not one raised by the OP) the ASN option should be set to not alter the wind on approach, else VOXATC might assign the user and AI aircraft to conflicting runways when there are variable light winds.

I should add that all the 3rd party ATC add-ons behave the same way. They are only as good as the data that are fed into them.

Thank you both, that was very useful information, much appreciated.

colin

I assumed for my above that your "strange runways" was mostly about conflict between your assigned procedure & ai traffic as jay mentioned ....... was that a good guess ??

Often the weather data can change (wind in particular) in that 20-30 minutes between your sid / star clearance and your actual takeoff / touchdown ... so jay's note on "freezing" the surface wind (but can lead to quirky interfaces with the updated winds aloft (@ 500, 1000').

My best is to study the TAF to "guess" when a wind change may happen & consider an alternate runway if "better" than the assigned and / or use AS16's "Show weather update messages"

It would be brilliant if VoxATC could as well separately read asn's metars 30mins in advance (historic mode) to compare with the sim based assignment (much like predictive control used in the real).

for now, cheers

john martin

8 hours ago, vadriver said:

colin

I assumed for my above that your "strange runways" was mostly about conflict between your assigned procedure & ai traffic as jay mentioned ....... was that a good guess ??

Often the weather data can change (wind in particular) in that 20-30 minutes between your sid / star clearance and your actual takeoff / touchdown ... so jay's note on "freezing" the surface wind (but can lead to quirky interfaces with the updated winds aloft (@ 500, 1000').

My best is to study the TAF to "guess" when a wind change may happen & consider an alternate runway if "better" than the assigned and / or use AS16's "Show weather update messages"

It would be brilliant if VoxATC could as well separately read asn's metars 30mins in advance (historic mode) to compare with the sim based assignment (much like predictive control used in the real).

Your guess and comments are spot on ,,😀