Sign in to follow this  
Ahmed M Saleh

Speed target range in VNAV descent

Unfortunately the acceptable airspeed range for VNAV PATH with flaps up it's not modeled on NGX, I don't have T7. Maybe on the next version?

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I have the 777 and it is not modeled. I hope it will be in a next version as I really miss/love this feature.

Edited by Blaser

Just open 2 tickets, otherwise nobody will know and would not get fixed.

VNAV Speed Band (magenta)

Indicates the FMC target airspeed during VNAV PTH descents. The bottom of the bar indicates the autothrottle wake-up speed. The top of the bar indicates the speed at which VNAV will change VNAV PTH to VNAV SPD.

Its presence is dependent on whether they bother to code it and provide us with the option. We can only hope! 

In real world - optional on 737ng and 777. on 748 I think it's standard.

Edited by Copper.
  • Like 1

Brian Nellis

Yep, on 748 is standard and when outside of top x bottom of airspeed range will change from PATH to SPD. Probably the same on 737 x 777. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

VNAV and throttle behavior is correctly modeled.  The speed tape feature is an option that was not included, I suspect it is because it's not in widespread use maybe... just guessing.

Dan Downs KCRP

First time I see this feature. Never even knew it existed, we don’t use it here.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

I've never seen that option before.  It would help to know what FMC software version they have.

5 minutes ago, JoeDiamond said:

I've never seen that option before.  It would help to know what FMC software version they have.

most likely 10.8a but can be implemented on 10.5 and higher i think depending on airplane status. It is a selectable option implemented via service bulletin. you'll see it in 748 if they implement the 748 vnav/ids faithfully

Brian Nellis

Honestly, I don't see any useful need for that display.  It's just something else to clutter up the PFD.

• Like 1

Well, my opinion is it adds to the immersion since you can see how the "fmc is thinking"... Just good to have as a suitacheable option

Edited by Blaser

12 minutes ago, JoeDiamond said:

Honestly, I don't see any useful need for that display.  It's just something else to clutter up the PFD.

I'm in 100% agreement. I think it came around when nav perf scales became a thing... Maybe it was needed/used during rnp ar proving period for vnav path to vnav speed awareness. That's my guess.

Brian Nellis

1 hour ago, Blaser said:

Well, my opinion is it adds to the immersion since you can see how the "fmc is thinking"... Just good to have as a suitacheable option

You know how the fmc is thinking because as a rw pilot you‘re sitting in that cockpit every day and work with it constantly... you know how this airplane works, that‘s just like I don‘t need rpm or gear indication on my motorbike... I know how it will react from experience... the speed tape would just add another feature that makes you stop using your brain...