Sign in to follow this  
Ahmed M Saleh

Speed target range in VNAV descent

I have used this plane without this feature and I know what the FMC is doing and never had any problem with it. I like animation and I like a busy PFD. To each his own. And btw the NGX is not the hardest brain resource using airframe to begin with I am sure you know this. I like animation / diversity and I like to have choices, and I do respect whatever you like. 

• Like 1

It wasn‘t meant to attack your statement, I just didn‘t use the best words I guess 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

It wasn‘t meant to attack your statement, I just didn‘t use the best words I guess 😂

hahahaha... No no I take it easy. Nice day 🙂

• Like 1

Nice to know, although I don’t see much use of it.

Rafael Henrique Carelli

Interesting video clip. Thanks for sharing I’ve never seen it before. It all makes sense now.

qantas pilots, qantas checklists, qantas procedures and qantas spec’d airplane - now I understand why it has VNAV speed band, hgs, and all the other good stuff (gls). Qf frames are high spec.

but air van livery. Wonder what the story is there

Brian Nellis

On 5/22/2018 at 11:01 AM, Copper. said:

I'm in 100% agreement. I think it came around when nav perf scales became a thing... Maybe it was needed/used during rnp ar proving period for vnav path to vnav speed awareness. That's my guess.

At least the NPS scales give you useful information and in the case of our operation eliminate the need to monitor the ANP value on PROG page 4/4 when flying non-ils approaches. 

25 minutes ago, JoeDiamond said:

At least the NPS scales give you useful information and in the case of our operation eliminate the need to monitor the ANP value on PROG page 4/4 when flying non-ils approaches. 

I see! With that said, then I imagine the speed band may have at one stage permitted something similar at it's design and implementation phase? Who knows... can't say I care haha

Brian Nellis

I just don't see what Boeing expects me to do with this information.  It's not going to change how i'm flying the airplane.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:29 PM, Copper. said:

VNAV Speed Band (magenta)

Indicates the FMC target airspeed during VNAV PTH descents. The bottom of the bar indicates the autothrottle wake-up speed. The top of the bar indicates the speed at which VNAV will change VNAV PTH to VNAV SPD.

Its presence is dependent on whether they bother to code it and provide us with the option. We can only hope! 

In real world - optional on 737ng and 777. on 748 I think it's standard.

Copper you got it right! VNAV Speed Band is implemented in the PMDG 748 and I do enjoy it a lot! :-)

On 5/24/2018 at 11:02 PM, JoeDiamond said:

I just don't see what Boeing expects me to do with this information.  It's not going to change how i'm flying the airplane.

You may consider it as an additional interface that makes you see how the aircraft is thinking and acting during Descent 🙂

On 9/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, Blaser said:

You may consider it as an additional interface that makes you see how the aircraft is thinking and acting during Descent 🙂

That's kind of my point.  I already know how the airplane is going to react, thus I don't need additional information cluttering the display.

You’ve made your point, multiple times. youre not the only one who flys these things

the manufacturers have evaluated it and implemented it. That’s the way it is

Brian Nellis