Sign in to follow this  
crimtye

Yawing using X-Plane in-built Real Weather

Hello all,

I am new to X-Plane and I'm still getting my head around the sim. So far I am very impressed with what X-Plane 11 has to offer out of the box. I am, however disappointed at the way variable winds are interpreted by the sim. For example, on final at EHAM today in the Flight Factor 757 using default real weather, the wind direction changes constantly in excess of 30 degrees causing the aircraft to yaw to a degree I consider unrealistic. 

Is there some way to 'dampen' these winds? Maybe a flywithlua script that I haven't heard of? I have tried X-Enviro but find it too buggy in it's current state and the performance isn't great on my system either. It's a shame because default real weather in X-Plane is actually very decent apart from this strange yawing effect it seems to be causing. 

Thanks in advance, I look forward to spending many hours in my new sim.

Fs Global Real Weather is what you need!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

I believe there's a 64 bit ( XP11 ) version of FSGRW. 

When buying pay attention to it. It's the one for P3dv4 and XP11.

It's been a long time since I last used FSGRW, and I really do not recall if it smooths out this variability.

I am convinced, though, that apart from this a bit excessive "shear rate" there's unfortunately more to it in XP, namely, the way weathervane stability is modelled, and that affects all aircraft.

IRL wind direction can have local very high rate variations actually, and even flying my glider I do not, even by far, suffer from this "word not allowed-S-ing" 🙂

The problem is evident from the lightest trike to the A380. Give it a simple 6 knot variable wind and you'll be dancing....

There's at least one aircraft which "survives" this problem - the FF A320. It uses a totally external flight model, transiting to X-Plane's physics model only while on ground. This aircraft behaves a lot more plausibly, in any variable / turbulent situations.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...