Sign in to follow this  
somiller

Traffic Stutters

Nico,

Tonight I was trying to diagnose a problem I've been having with traffic stuttering. I run PSXsceecontraffic on a client, connected via WiFi at 433Mb/sec. I've finally determined the problem occurs ONLY if I run Little Navmap, which runs on the same client and connects to P3D with their utility called Little Navconnect. As long as I don't run Little Navmap I don't have stuttering (even if Little Navconnect is running on the server), however, as soon as I start LittleNavMap, the stutters are back.

As a troubleshooting step, I connected the client to Gb ethernet, and the stutter problems are gone, even if I'm running LittleNavMap.

Is there a way to run PSXseecontraffic AND LittleNavMap on a WiFi connected client without the stuttering.

(edit) It should be noted that the stuttering only affects AI traffic...I'm at a solid, locked 30 fps and the sim is smooth a silk.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Edited by somiller
additional clarification

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hi Steven,

Are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz  ( 802 11ac ) ?  The reason I ask, and sorry if you already know all this, but if you are using 2.4, which is good for long distance wifi transmission, it is a slower speed.

If using 5ghz, is your client pc close to your router ?  5ghz works optimuim when situated close to router which I am using. I am not able to use direct GB ethernet due to the layout of my apartment. But I use Netgear wifi range extender to improve coverage even more.

I just did a test running LNM on my client, get a little bit of stuttering, which you get sometimes when position updates occur, but not deal breaking.

Cheers

Julian

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you try to start PSXseeconTraffic at high priority, higher than Little NavMap? See this thread.

If you already tried, well than always use a wired LAN connection, I'd say... 

Edited by kiek

Nico,

Yes, in my search for solutions on this forum, I had seen the thread about starting high priority, so I used the .bat file example you had written to start PSXseecontraffic, and have confirmed the .bat is executing correctly.

Kind Regards,

10 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

Hi Steven,

Are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz  ( 802 11ac ) ?  The reason I ask, and sorry if you already know all this, but if you are using 2.4, which is good for long distance wifi transmission, it is a slower speed.

If using 5ghz, is your client pc close to your router ?  5ghz works optimuim when situated close to router which I am using. I am not able to use direct GB ethernet due to the layout of my apartment. But I use Netgear wifi range extender to improve coverage even more.

I just did a test running LNM on my client, get a little bit of stuttering, which you get sometimes when position updates occur, but not deal breaking.

Cheers

Julian

Julian,

I am indeed using 5Ghz (ac) and my client laptop sits on the desktop directly above the router which is under the desk. I'm getting a very strong connection to the router, and maintaining 433Mb/s. My stutters are repetitive every 4-5 secs, lasting for approx. 7-9 sec., then 4-5 sec. no stutter, then 7-9 sec. of stuttering.

I am going to do a some ping testing to see what kind of latency I'm getting...maybe it's a latency issue when I'm on WiFi.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

Okay, did the ping tests, and exactly as I suspected, it's a problem with high latency.

Ethernet connected ping from server to client with LittleNavMap running <1ms

Ethernet connected ping from client to server with LittleNavMap running <1ms

Wifi connected ping from server to client with LNM running <1ms - 358ms

Wifi connected ping from client to server with LNM running <1ms - 226ms

I watched for stutters and then looked at the latency and whenever the stutters started, the latency was up, and when the stutters stopped, the latency had dropped back down to <4ms.

Not sure what I could do to mitigate the latency when running WiFi, other than maybe use Process Lasso to adjust resource priorities to PSXseecontraffic, and limit resources to LittleNavMap.

It's a shame, because it's not terribly convenient for me to connect my client via Ethernet, but oh well, it's better than traffic stuttering...I guess.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

6 hours ago, somiller said:

's a shame, because it's not terribly convenient for me to connect my client via Ethernet,

Agree, I am in the same boat. As we have a similar set up, I will do a ping test as well. Be interesting to compare. I am using a Fritz Box 7490 Router

Edit: @somiller FWIW, my average ping time was 5ms client to server with LMap running. Without 4ms. I does peak on accasion to 110 ms

With my set up though, I am using my Netgear Range extender as an ethernet connection using Cat 6 patch cable  for my server, as it does not have a wifi adapter.

Edited by ZKOKQ

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

ZKOKQ,

I suppose I should have specified that my server is a desktop computer on Ethernet CAT5e...it's only the client laptop that was on WiFi.

I don't know the magic threshold for latency before encountering stutters but I would guess 110ms exceeds it by a fairly high margin.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1