Sign in to follow this  
jon b

EICAS: FMC vs FMC MESSAGE?

Hi, I’m just wondering about the message that pops up on EICAS When you have an FMC Scatchpad message?

The sim gives the EICAS message “FMC” which always makes me jump as I associate it with the message ‘FMC LEFT,RIGHT” which signifies a potentially troublesome FMC failure.

Im not sure if this message is one of the many company specific options but certainly on my aircraft an FMC scratchpad generates the EICAS message “FMC MESSAGE ‘

I Know the message has been “FMC” since the legacy versions, which I was involved in testing and advising on , but I can’t remember if I raised the question at the time so it may well be company specific or if not it’s probably my fault for not raising it 12 years previously !

I have a picture of an EICAS “FMC MESSAGE “  for your enjoyment, but not sure how to attach it to a post.

cheers Jon Bunting 

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Thanks Kevin, then perhaps it’s my memory that’s at fault or it’s the FS9 version I’m remembering. The real world version I operate  at least,has FMC MESSAGE, just wondering if the “FMC” EICAS may have slipped through if it’s not a company specific option?

Jon Bunting

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

36 minutes ago, jon b said:

Thanks Kevin, then perhaps it’s my memory that’s at fault or it’s the FS9 version I’m remembering. The real world version I operate  at least,has FMC MESSAGE, just wondering if the “FMC” EICAS may have slipped through if it’s not a company specific option?

Jon Bunting

Funny you mention this because I saw the same "FMC" EICAS message the other day flying the PMDG SQ B777.  I agree with you that this message should in fact be careted on the B744 because it is not found in the QRH and read " >FMC MESSAGE ".

Bertie G

Is "FMC" (alone) a message?

FMCMessage.jpg

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Now that’s interesting, because as you say Bertie you would expect FMC MESSAGE to be careted as there is no QRH action, and indeed it has a caret on John’s photo above. And yet I have a photo here (which I’m not sure how to post)I took the other night on the aircraft of FMC MESSAGE without a caret !

Now, this particular FMC MESSAGE was triggered by a CPDLC comm established scratchpad message.I wonder if there is a difference between internal FMC generated scratchpad messages and ones generated by CPDLC activity? Or perhaps a different software version on the aircraft.

Jon Bunting  

787 captain.  

As I recall, a white FMC status is a prompt about data uplinks for the FMC. Amber FMC MESSAGE means there’s a scratchpad warning message that needs attention. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

On 5/24/2018 at 1:50 PM, kevinh said:

As I recall, a white FMC status is a prompt about data uplinks for the FMC. Amber FMC MESSAGE means there’s a scratchpad warning message that needs attention. 

I think you maybe thinking about the EICAS memo messages“ ATC MESSAGE”  or “ACARS MESSAGE” which are in white.

There’s the Amber “FMC LEFT”. “FMC RIGHT” and “FMC MESSAGE” EICAS advisories but no EICAS or memo message which just states “FMC”, to the best of my knowledge. Jon Bunting

787 captain.  

You guys should submit a support ticket or make sure you let them know somehow 🙂

Yep, I’ll submit a ticket if that’s the right thing to do. I just thought I’d post here first to make sure it wasn’t correctly modelled on some other variation of software I wasn’t familiar with. This thing has so many variations and options it’s easy to make a fool of your self by pointing a finger at something you’ve personally not seen before.

cheers

Jon Bunting 

787 captain.  

There was a Boeing Service Letter 747-SL-31-092 (8 Nov 2010) which mentioned this:

34: >FMC MESSAGE ... C.... Revised to add caret to make this message applicable to 747-400 IDS systems with new FMC.

Do they mean the NG software? And does it apply to those aircraft which don't have new FMCs?

Surely they didn't have NG FMCs back in 2010?

Edited by Qavion2

As of last week my jet, with the original FMCs , was throwing out FMC MESSAGE without a caret !

Maybe they’ve changed their mind again, who knows. 

Jon Bunting 

787 captain.  

2 hours ago, jon b said:

Maybe they’ve changed their mind again, who knows

My photo was taken in 2013.... Who knows 😋

(EDIT: A QRH dated 2015 shows "FMC MESSAGE")

Edited by Qavion2

On 5/25/2018 at 11:16 PM, jon b said:

I think you maybe thinking about the EICAS memo messages“ ATC MESSAGE”  or “ACARS MESSAGE” which are in white.

There’s the Amber “FMC LEFT”. “FMC RIGHT” and “FMC MESSAGE” EICAS advisories but no EICAS or memo message which just states “FMC”, to the best of my knowledge. Jon Bunting

No, it's definitely "FMC" in white. Perhaps it's only in the 777?

ki9cAAb.jpg