Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

23 May - P3D V4's Birthday

Presumably half of its life is over - but there's alot still to be packed in before the planes in the hangar sing.    

Looking forward to seeing what's up over the next few months.

Too early for a V5 spec thread?

Is it every two years, a new version comes out? Just thinkinking, I started with version v2.1 in 2013(?)

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

The cycle is less than 2 years.

Version 2.0: December 2013

Version 3.0: September 2015

Version 4.0: May 2017

I can imagine Version 5.0 to be released around the end of this year.

I know, you like Prepar3d, Erich, and I effectively like it, too, although we enjoy different styles of flying. However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Incidentally, my birthday too. 83 going strong!

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, lennie said:

Incidentally, my birthday too. 83 going strong!

Wow..happy birthday!

43 minutes ago, pmb said:

The cycle is less than 2 years.

Version 2.0: December 2013

Version 3.0: September 2015

Version 4.0: May 2017

I can imagine Version 5.0 to be released around the end of this year.

I know, you like Prepar3d, Erich, and I effectively like it, too, although we enjoy different styles of flying. However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

Kind regards, Michael

Agreed.  Does seem like XP11 is starting to come on strong.  I think the Orbx True Earth updates are a great step.   A much better user interface would be nice.  Maybe to appease DTG they buy their UI code.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

Still using version 3(.4)  which is still working well for me ( wow didn't realize it was 3 years old. ) I think when 5.0 comes out, it will be time to buy a new PC and move to 5, for sure. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm loving the stability of v4.2.  I mainly fly PMDG with ActiveSky and plenty of add-on sceneries.  CTDs are very rare, and of course 64-bit killed the dreaded OOM!

I'm in no rush to see a v5.  It would be nice if down the road LM updates major land marks airports from their 2006 layout and add new ones built since.

• Like 1

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

57 minutes ago, pmb said:

However, I feel they better pack 5.0 with a number of essential new features and elimininate some annoyances to stay competitive for the dedicated simmer.

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

I have too much invested in P3D add-ons to ever switch platforms.  I love v4 and could live with it indefinitely. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ErichB said:

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

• Upvote 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

16 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

say that enough times and they give you a 5 day ban. 

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

Man I can't afford another upgrade.😢 Spent mucho stepping up from FSX STEAM this year. Are all the study sim developers going to want a repurchase? If so not from this po boy.

Vic green

I feel like I’m just getting to know v4!  Hard to imagine we could potentially be halfway to v5.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU