Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

23 May - P3D V4's Birthday

1 hour ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I agree 100%

The sim feels like it's still FSX with some new fixes .

I think we tend to forget that if they strayed too far from the ESP engine, none of the current addons would work, and we would have to repurchase everything.  No developers will complete redo thier addons for free, and nor should they.  I think they have done a great job advancing ESP are far as they have.  I have XP11 as well, and yes some things are great, but it is not superior to P3D IMO, it is just different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan

I just had a wonderful flight in P3D v4.2 from KIAD to KDEN (both Flightbeam) in the PMDG 744 with all the usual ASP4/ASCA Orbx ect.... 

No doubt P3Dv4 is great with 64-bit as the most essential feature, but I cannot wait for v5 and look forward to it very much; even sitting on the edge of my seat for v4.3 🏗️

17 hours ago, ErichB said:

I love the addons for P3D, but I can tell you now that if V5 doesn't include significant and much wanted changes, I will very likely move to the dark side.

Psst, Erich. I did it already. With FSEnhancer, Environment+ and FSGRW for X-Plane, even the weather is very convincing.

I do not want to hear all the people screaming when V5 eventually breaks compatibility with their hard-earned payware addons...

• Like 2

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I personally do not believe that P3D v5 will come out this year, since there have only been 2 updates for v4 so far. Before a new version comes out, LM usually releases four point updates and some hotfixes. It is fine by me if v5 will be released at the end of 2019 (I am still using v3, and I would jump to v5 with a new hardware update). Also remember that v2 came out three years after the first release of v1.

8 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Also remember that v2 came out three years after the first release of v1.

That's true.

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons ?

Regards

9 minutes ago, Prayog said:

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons

Of course they don't 'have' to, but the assumption is that they will.  Looking forward to the next best thing (speculation)  is fun, if nothing else.

13 minutes ago, Prayog said:

May be a dumb question, why do LM need to release v 5.0 ? What are good reasons ?

There's certainly one very good reason: They want to collect new money which they don't earn with mere point releases.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

14 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Of course they don't 'have' to, but the assumption is that they will.  Looking forward to the next best thing (speculation)  is fun, if nothing else.

😄

8 minutes ago, pmb said:

There's certainly one very good reason: They want to collect new money which they don't earn with mere point releases.

Kind regards, Michael

Sure, they have to run the department there.. Just thinking it from features point of view. Considering all the add-ons available around, what is that LM would bring in in 5.0 (that they cannot/wouldnot in 4.x), definitely nothing that hurt any of add-on manufacturers..

Regards

14 hours ago, curt1 said:

I have too much invested in P3D add-ons to ever switch platforms.  I love v4 and could live with it indefinitely. 

I don't even want to think about the money I invested in P3D (or any other sim) but as soon as something better comes along I will get it and if I like it more than the other sim I will switch to it. Life is too short to stick with one sim, specially if it has a lot of limitations. 😎

7 hours ago, pracines said:

I cannot wait for v5 and look forward to it very much

You don't even know yet what v5 will bring so what exactly are you excited about? All I know it that it will cost money and that a lot of addons may need to be updated again... Not something to get excited about. 😉 Of course, if v5 comes with a 400% improvement to performance (to bring it to Aerofly levels 😋) I might get excited but until then v4 (alongside with a few other sims) is fine with me. 

To reply to both quotes at once: at this moment I am way more excited about the upcoming Deadstick Bush Flight SImulator than anything P3D related.

Edited by Guest

Like Bob, I am still using P3D v3.4....and there is a good chance that I will bypass v4 completely. I do not intend to upgrade until I can buy a new PC (and when the ORBx TrueEarth UK and Ireland products are available), so that will almost certainly be 2019. Hopefully, P3D v5 will have been released by then :smile:

On a side note, May 23 has a different meaning for me. It was the day that my grandmother (the only grandmother that I ever knew) died two years ago :sad:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm a bit more skeptical regarding  a P3d version 5 (or an XP12 for that matter). In my opinion, flightsim progress is presently in a holding pattern, waiting for "the next big thing". VR was supposed to be that advance, but so far, adoption was been limited, primarily because of the low resolution of readily available headsets. The headset manufacturers seem to be waiting for that breakout video game that propels VR into the mainstream. The game developers are waiting for the inexpensive high resolution headset. Users don't want to buy $500 headsets that will be outmoded in 6 months.

I don't see either PBR textures, worldwide high res photoimagery or true 3D clouds as a great breakthrough. And both DCS and P3d4 have 3D trees. Does that qualify as a big advance?

In any case, short of a VR revolution, I don't see any major advancements in flightsims within the next year or two. But once VR improves, the whole gaming industry will be transformed overnight.

• Upvote 1

I have simpler expectations than you guys:

Waiting for bug fixes for the 4.2 version.

Cheers,

Pierre

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Pierre

No rush for me although I'm one of those who feel that the recent leaps ahead by the dark side are beginning to make even 4.2 look a bit creaky in many areas. I still prefer P3D for the breadth and excellence of its add ons and the fact that these days it's a very solid platform which performs well on good hardware but there's no getting away from the fact that ESP engine is the thing holding it back. However that engine is what gives us backwards compatibility to those add ons we love so much. 

The hardest bit is thinking what we'd actually want V5 to contain. Updated navdata perhaps, but that can be solved very cheaply with FSAerodata already - a must have for me. Performance improvements are always welcome. Improved vector and landclass data? Hard to see it being better than we can already achieve with existing tools. PBR? Better rain and snow FX? Yes please, but again that's kinda been done. 

If 5 breaks them all and they all have to be repurchased then I guess that's the price of progress, no?

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

LM is stuck in its development of P3D. The big game changer was the move to 64-bit and that caused all of the 3rd party developers and end users/us simmers all sorts of trouble.

IMHO there is not going to be any major change in P3Dv5 that is going to undo all of the investment and work that the 3rd party developers put in to v4 compatible products. The cost for both developers and simmers is too big an ask for them and us to undertake in just two years.
On the other hand, the lack of forward movement on the game engine means that ESP appears dated compared to other sims (especially XP11), giving away market share. 

Therefore, a middle way solution will be used. LM to continue making incremental improvements with v5 to keep the product looking 'pretty' and competitive with other sim platforms, whilst maintaining the backwards compatibility for v4+ products. 
Until we reach v6 (if it continues to be of interest to LM), then after 4 or so years of where the ESP engine is now, anything is possible.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter