Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

23 May - P3D V4's Birthday

Well, I will say happy birthday to V4.

As much as I love P3D, since DCS 2.5 came out I have been using it a LOT. Its been a bit hard to go back to P3D after the improvements in DCS.

I know they are different types of sims, but man, the image quality, the FPS, the flight models. And then the F18 is released next week........

P3D just feels a bit clunky at this point.

The one big thing that we knew was coming in v4 was 64-bit...I can’t think of anything that major we’re all looking for in a v5?  Lots of smaller (but still important) things like improved ATC, sloped runways and a bunch of others, but it will be interesting to see if there is a “big splash” feature that v5 has in store.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I wonder how much more can really be squeezed out of the ESP platform?  The only major things I could see are maybe a weather engine overhaul and new lighting/PBR. Maybe a new AI engine? I can see VR being improved as well but I can't think of much else other than some performance enhancements?  I think other things would be left to the 3rd parties to improve upon.  I have to say my P3Dv4 setup now is the best I have experienced and happy with what I experience on nearly every flight. 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

44 minutes ago, Airline2Sim said:

The hardest bit is thinking what we'd actually want V5 to contain. Updated navdata perhaps, but that can be solved very cheaply with FSAerodata already - a must have for me.

That's the navdata, but what about corresponding default visual airport layouts, most of them dating back to 2005?

Another area are the offset elevation data in many areas requiring corrections by ORBX Vector EAC and/or the corresponding Pilot's tool. Partially, hills/valleys around airports using HiRes meshs are caused by the inability of the ESP engine to display sloped runways which would be another worthwile improvement.

And I don't speak about blurry phototextures, morphing terrain on hills, notably when using high resolution meshs, ugly near-vertical textures on canyons, autogen loading late and in patches as soon as you set the range slider above "medium", etc. yet.

That's mostly the terrain engine where I feel I can judge, others may add aircraft system aspects.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Elevation data and mesh improvements would be nice, very true. And yes the default airports layout being updated would be nice but for those of us (and I guess it's most of us) using add-on scenery this isn't such a big deal. 

AI behavior improvements and of course the default ATC could use a big overhaul. In fact as much as it pains me to say it, the default ATC has by far the most convincing sounds and ease of use out of all the available ATC options, even if it is a bit clunky in many ways. There have been many attempts at adding ATC to the sim but none have ever really nailed it. 

• Upvote 1

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

5 hours ago, J van E said:

You don't even know yet what v5 will bring so what exactly are you excited about? All I know it that it will cost money and that a lot of addons may need to be updated again... Not something to get excited about. 😉 Of course, if v5 comes with a 400% improvement to performance (to bring it to Aerofly levels 😋) I might get excited but until then v4 (alongside with a few other sims) is fine with me. 

To reply to both quotes at once: at this moment I am way more excited about the upcoming Deadstick Bush Flight SImulator than anything P3D related.

I'm exactly excited about supporting a team that cares about flight simulation and its community.

The Lockheed Martin P3D team have proven themselves to be hardworking, trustworthy, and humble. The customer service is excellent. They don't have a need to "sell" what they provide because it always has turned out much better than we had before (sells itself). LM has also been very good to the 3rd party community which seems to be the binding force in the FS community. Yes there are sometimes bumps here and there, but I/we realize that these bumps are because of the envelope being pushed like the community requires. The levels of realism in P3Dv4.2 that can be attained with add-ons is astonishing. Once Intel/AMD/NVidia ect. break more speed barriers, we are on our way to levels reaching reality itself. Now that this community has broken the 32 bit barrier, Intel/AMD will be compelled to move on from this imagined 5 or so GHz limit. 

Yes V5 will cost money🤑. Will V5 be of value, is the better fact to consider. When I have bought a home or a car (extreme expenses), it is exciting, despite the cost/money. Same with flight simming and PC's and anything else, even gifts for others; its exciting to me as long as it is of value. 

I would much rather have 20 FPS with a crisp (not blurry) and full scene (autogen/AI), than 45 (or even 120) FPS and a blurry and sparse (boring no ATC - no AI - no real WX) scene.

I enjoy AF2 from time to time as well, but am concerned that if or once it starts to get some realistic features, it will be a "20 FPS" flight sim too (to bring it to P3D levels 😄).

Concerning Deadstick Bush Flight Simulator, we'll see, but from what I have seen so far, its too "MS Flightish" or too "DTG Flight Schoolish" for me (little value). Yes, it has some interesting and welcome features like the other 2 had; but to be in competition with what we already have, is questionable. REMEX Software will be given an opportunity to shine (be of value) just like all the others have been given. 

• Like 1