Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

47 minutes ago, scottsware said:

I fly the 787 in real life.  I find the QW 787 very realistic and useful in keeping current between flights.  I particularly like hand flying it.  I find that most the functions I would use on a normal flight work just fine.  I have made number flights with the QW787 and found it to feel much like a flight at work.  

Something I notice about many post regarding these flight sim packages is expecting everything to work every time.  This expectation is too high.  Every modern plane I have flown has been quirky and didn't always do what it should.  The last plane I flew that did what I expected on every flight was the 737-200 and that's because it was so basic. From the 737-300 on I have had to intervene not infrequently.  My point is when you are flying and the plane doesn't do what it should, do what a pilot does and either move to a lower level of automation or even turn it off and fix it and complete the flight safely.  If there really is bug, tell the developer, developers care very much about their creations ( I know, I write mobile apps on the side).

This is just one more impression I have about the QW 787.  When I first saw the FSX version of the 787 I thought it didn't look all that real.  I hadn't yet been trained on the 787 but was headed to class shortly after I bought the FSX version of the QW787.  It wasn't until I started training in the actual sim that I realized that it wasn't the QW 787 that didn't look real.  787 cockpits don't look "real" in the classical sense of a jet.  It is a whole different beast than previous airplanes.  I'm lucky enough to get to fly both and I'm amazed at how this sim package captures the look and feel of the 787.

Scott,

Is QW787 overpowered? I watched streaming from Blackbox 711 (real A320 pilot) yesterday and it seems (and he also seems to think that as well) that the a/c is climbing out like a rocket with 150ton of weight. A little bit too unrealistic. Do you notice this as well?

Question: I can't seem to activate TOGA at takeoff on the joystick. I have set Autothrottle engage (TOGA) to a button, this works fine with PMDG, but it doesn't seem to like it on the QW 787.

PS: On my first flight and I quite like the bird! 🙂

1 hour ago, TrentXWB said:

Scott,

Is QW787 overpowered? I watched streaming from Blackbox 711 (real A320 pilot) yesterday and it seems (and he also seems to think that as well) that the a/c is climbing out like a rocket with 150ton of weight. A little bit too unrealistic. Do you notice this as well?

The real plane does climb crazy fast.  Just so we are on the same page and I can really answer this, are we talking about the 787-8, at sea level and what takeoff weight?  You said 150 ton.  Does that mean 300,000 LBS?  I suspect I might not understand what weight you are using.  I'm used to US LBS.  If you really mean 300,000LBS then the plane would really climb fast as that is very light for the 787-8.  If you have the link handy let me know what it is.  I checked YouTube under Blackbox711 did not see anything.

• Like 2

OK I bought it.. I have the P3D v4.0 not even 4.1

When you move the yoke in your hardware, does the plane's yoke move too in VC cockpit?  Mine does not

I am not able to fly this manually. My yoke input via FSUIPC works in spots... the aircraft is about to crash cause I can't pull up or turn and then suddenly it obeys my command.. I checked in FSUIPC and it seems to work. There is connection issue with my yoke FSUIPC command to the plane's yoke

And yes... it has crazy trim in the beginning.. when I loaded up the aircraft and throttle it, it noses up at about 70 knots.. like I had a preset trim that was way off... BTW .. I loaded the aircraft in the start state (default).

IS there some setup thing I need to do.

PS: I have not read any of the manuals or instructions.

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

10 minutes ago, Manny said:

PS: I have not read any of the manuals or instructions.

Nice....

Nice.....

😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I love the previous comment that the only aircraft that did everything the pilot expected every time was the 737-200...gotta love those first gen 737’s!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

20 minutes ago, scottsware said:

The real plane does climb crazy fast.  Just so we are on the same page and I can really answer this, are we talking about the 787-8, at sea level and what takeoff weight?  You said 150 ton.  Does that mean 300,000 LBS?  I suspect I might not understand what weight you are using.  I'm used to US LBS.  If you really mean 300,000LBS then the plane would really climb fast as that is very light for the 787-8.  If you have the link handy let me know what it is.  I checked YouTube under Blackbox711 did not see anything.

That is correct around 300.000LBS 

It was on twitch but now I couldn't find his video from yesterday. At point, it was 7000ft/min climb.

27 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Question: I can't seem to activate TOGA at takeoff on the joystick. I have set Autothrottle engage (TOGA) to a button, this works fine with PMDG, but it doesn't seem to like it on the QW 787.

I had this problem as well. Not sure if its the same issue. But I discovered that if during taxi, I turn on the auto throttle (it will instantly turn off), that on take off the TO/GA button will work. Hope that helps!

-Tony@PVD

• Like 1

Tony Moore

2 hours ago, TrentXWB said:

Scott,

Hendrik,

As Scott noted. That is virtually an empty weight 787-8, only 300,000lbs. That's 200,000lbs less than MTOW.

The 787 only ever needs TOGA at high altitude airports like Bogota and Mexico City When Over 400,000lbs or within 25,000 lbs of MTOW near sealevel.

Most of the time on sub 3000 mile routes it's TO1/2 + a hefty assumed temp added on top of that.

We simulated both the GENx and RR Trent EICAS' and unique engine readings. So the TPR on the Rolls is a bit different scale with TPR and a lower relative LPC fan speed than the GE which is all N1 based.

The RR also has a tiny bit more power particular on the -9 so it's usually TO1/2 on that as well.

2 hours ago, Airline2Sim said:

Not had a chance to fly it yet but I’m interested to see how well modelled the A/T modes are in relation to the VNAV profile. Those of you who watched our 777 Cadet Training Program will recall that there’s a lot to understand when it comes to the various thrust modes such as SPD, IDLE, THR, THR REF and HOLD, plus the subtle but crucial dropping out of VNAV PTH to VNAV SPD when it can no longer maintain the path.

I imagine that the 787 modes are identical as it shares a type rating. Anyone had a chance to see if this is all correctly modelled? 

Ben,

We modeled all of the A/T modes you eluded to and they work as they should. VNAV ALT is also modeled.

Arming VNAV prior to takeoff and engaging the autothrottle to set the thrust ref you'll see all of these respective A/T and VNAV modes activate at all the correct phases from spool up to 400ft agl.

Edited by American 833 Heavy
Information
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

qwsig_Emil02-1.gif

30 minutes ago, Manny said:

When you move the yoke in your hardware, does the plane's yoke move too in VC cockpit?  Mine does not

I am not able to fly this manually. My yoke input via FSUIPC works in spots... the aircraft is about to crash cause I can't pull up or turn and then suddenly it obeys my command.. I checked in FSUIPC and it seems to work. There is connection issue with my yoke FSUIPC command to the plane's yoke

No problem in V4.1 (as you obviously read since you nicely reacted to my previous post... thanks!)

I see movement of the yoke (and pedals and pedal brakes) in correspondence with movement of my stick and pedals. It hand flies perfectly. I do NOT use FSUIPC in P3D. Hope you get it sorted out.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

47 minutes ago, odourboy said:

No problem in V4.1 (as you obviously read since you nicely reacted to my previous post... thanks!)

I see movement of the yoke (and pedals and pedal brakes) in correspondence with movement of my stick and pedals. It hand flies perfectly. I do NOT use FSUIPC in P3D. Hope you get it sorted out.

I bought it after reading your post.. I thought I was on 4.1 only during the installation I realized I am still on 4.0 

Yeah... need to see what is going with my h/w yoke. I now read the two small manual.. a Quick read and there is no mention of any special install or config of yokes

PS: The yoke elevator seems to work..its only the ailerons

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

hope someone can help me.

i just bought the qw 787 voor p3dv4 but for some reason i have bright and unreadable screens because of that:

Sz3lE3O.jpg

can someone help me fix that?

25 minutes ago, thebest07111 said:

i just bought the qw 787 voor p3dv4 but for some reason i have bright and unreadable screens because of that:

I had the same problem.  Inside the FMC hit the Info tab, -> QW Config -> Display Units

38 minutes ago, thebest07111 said:

hope someone can help me.

Sz3lE3O.jpg

can someone help me fix that?

Same issue here; easily corrected (per QW forum). You'll see this problem if P3D's HDR lighting is on; turn that off and the problem is gone.

Maury Pratt

8 minutes ago, Maury Pratt said:

Same issue here; easily corrected (per QW forum). You'll see this problem if P3D's HDR lighting is on; turn that off and the problem is gone.

Is this something that is broken and will be fixed?  Or, in other words, do they plan to make it so that those of us that would like to keep HDR on don't have to turn it off just to use their plane?  I'd hate to have to keep remembering to flip back and forth.

• Like 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024