Sign in to follow this  
Woozie

QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

I would like to see the review on the Quality Wings forum about the 787 before I purchase it.  If this product is good why do you have to make it compulsory to purchase before being allowed on your forum to look at reviews from the support?  Why cant you run your forum like Avsim?  It would be nice.

35 minutes ago, EGLL said:

why do you have to make it compulsory to purchase before being allowed on your forum

This is an anti-piracy step also used by several other developers.
The assumption is easy: if you didn't buy the product, you don't need support.

Plus they are selling at Flight1 which means 'zero risk' policy.
You buy it, test it for up to 30 days - if you don't like it, you get your money back.

I find it all very fair actually.

Edited by Rafal
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Woozie said:

@Anders Bermann

You do get triggered quite quickly, dont you?

Lets act like adults and agree to disagree, so we can get back to topic...

You got it, my friend. 🙂

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

44 minutes ago, Rafal said:

This is an anti-piracy step also used by several other developers.
The assumption is easy: if you didn't buy the product, you don't need support.

Plus they are selling at Flight1 which means 'zero risk' policy.
You buy it, test it for up to 30 days - if you don't like it, you get your money back.

I find it all very fair actually.

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.

12 hours ago, swiesma said:

I am missing the reason here. 

I really enjoy the 787. only one full flight and some minor stuff like the VNAV bug (which I could solve by inserting the target altitude for the next waypoint). 

Overall a very nice addon. And 60€ won’t kill anyone...

Ditto.  Did a effortless brisbane to vancouver over night last night. No issues. 

Currently doing a heathrow joburg overnight tonight. No problems. Try it lads if you don't like get get the refund 

• Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

Just thought I'd give an update to my personal experience with this plane. Having now done 5 flights, 1 of which was long haul (lax-syd), I've learned quite a bit, and I may be in love.

Not once have I had the TOD issue, maybe its a config problem some users are having?

The auto step climb feature was NOT clearly explained. Theres 2 things needed for that to work, one is in the a/c itself. The other is an entry that needs to be added to the QW787.cfg file. A few searches thru the manual solved this for me.

One thing earlier in the thread that was I'm sure unintentional misinformation was the lack of pax/bags loading in the sim. I found it in the EFB! (Funny after I found it, quality wings mentioned it in a post haha).

Again its not PMDG level. But for me personally, my flying style, this plane fits the bill. I hand flew my first landing into BOS last night, and it was the smoothest hand flown landing I've ever done. 

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try an answer them for ya. 

-Tony@PVD 

• Like 1

Tony Moore

Glad to see the reviews for the QW 787 turn to reflect the true quality of the Aircraft.  Initial reporting is almost never completely accurate.  I'm glad I purchased it and reframed from commenting early. Many of the issues I experience initially were not bugs and was resolved by reading the manuals!

It has the normal issues of a new release but this is a solid platform built by a group of guys who have a solid track record of supporting their products!

• Like 3

Bill Moore

I've done 5 flights thus far. TO summarize my experience: Really loved the SYS menus and the EFB.  I did not like the performance hit you get with HDR on (havent tried the "reduce memory" HDR setting on the QWdispatcher).

I've had one CTD (Enroute from SFO to KDEN TRUKN2 to TOMSN6). I've also had 2 VNAN errors. The first error was that I had a crusie level of FL410 in the FMC and after the aircraft reached 410, the FMC posted the message stating I needed to set the ALT lower to descend. The other error I encountered was TC kept moving back as I reached top of climb. At about 38400, TC was 11NM out. It then went to 13NM out and kept moving out. However, when I got to 390, the reading changed form TC to TD at about 594 miles out.

Everything has functioned well and I would recommend a purchase for those of you on the fence that like airliner flying.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

3 hours ago, SKEWR said:

I've done 5 flights thus far. TO summarize my experience: Really loved the SYS menus and the EFB.  I did not like the performance hit you get with HDR on (havent tried the "reduce memory" HDR setting on the QWdispatcher).

I've had one CTD (Enroute from SFO to KDEN TRUKN2 to TOMSN6). I've also had 2 VNAN errors. The first error was that I had a crusie level of FL410 in the FMC and after the aircraft reached 410, the FMC posted the message stating I needed to set the ALT lower to descend. The other error I encountered was TC kept moving back as I reached top of climb. At about 38400, TC was 11NM out. It then went to 13NM out and kept moving out. However, when I got to 390, the reading changed form TC to TD at about 594 miles out.

Everything has functioned well and I would recommend a purchase for those of you on the fence that like airliner flying.

I bought it tonite...  just did a super quick flight with STAR into MSP (did a few shots in the screenshot forum as well).

I haven't read the manual yet but for my uses it's well worth it.  I need to figure out how to fly an ILS approach with the "needles" and how to setup VNAV for descent (wasn't descending with vnav path for me).  Also, someone didn;t like the night lighting.  I think it's pretty dang good - you can adjust a lot of areas with backlighting or flood etc.  It's not super dimmable but that stuff takes lots of video ram.  The exterior lighting is excellent... just like the real thing.

42329226542_931388374f_o.jpg787NL by ryan b, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

8 hours ago, breakinghbts said:

Just thought I'd give an update to my personal experience with this plane. Having now done 5 flights, 1 of which was long haul (lax-syd), I've learned quite a bit, and I may be in love.

Not once have I had the TOD issue, maybe its a config problem some users are having?

The auto step climb feature was NOT clearly explained. Theres 2 things needed for that to work, one is in the a/c itself. The other is an entry that needs to be added to the QW787.cfg file. A few searches thru the manual solved this for me.

One thing earlier in the thread that was I'm sure unintentional misinformation was the lack of pax/bags loading in the sim. I found it in the EFB! (Funny after I found it, quality wings mentioned it in a post haha).

Again its not PMDG level. But for me personally, my flying style, this plane fits the bill. I hand flew my first landing into BOS last night, and it was the smoothest hand flown landing I've ever done. 

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try an answer them for ya. 

-Tony@PVD 

Hi Tony,

could you explain what the 2 steps are and what you have entered in the .cfg ?

thank you brother ! Carsten

Carsten U

34 minutes ago, RTK1972 said:

Hi Tony,

could you explain what the 2 steps are and what you have entered in the .cfg ?

thank you brother ! Carsten 

1.The cfg file is located in your <P3D ROOT>\qualitywings   folder. The file QW787.cfg. In the back of the manual there is a bunch of things you can add in there. The one for auto step climb is:

SetMCPAltOnAutoStepClimb=1

2.Then when you hop into the airplane, using the CDU LCD, not sure if you can pull it up on the main MFD, click the info button. Now the screen changes, and there is a few buttons at the top. Select QW Config, then under that select MISC. There is an option towards the bottom for auto step climb, select it. Hope that helps!

-Tony@PVD

Edited by breakinghbts
edited after I looked up in the manual the exact menu sequence.

Tony Moore

On my second full flight yesterday into KSFO the autopilot went completely crazy. He decided to descend via VNAV and I thought „good“.

But at PYE on Golden Gate arrival he missed the turn and went straight ahead. I switched to heading select. Nope. Still going straight. Turned AP on and off. Nope. Still broken. 

So I handflew from PYE all the way over KSFO to DUMBA and the ILS approach. 

It was fun - but the AP is a disaster 🙂

1 hour ago, breakinghbts said:

1.The cfg file is located in your <P3D ROOT>\qualitywings   folder. The file QW787.cfg. In the back of the manual there is a bunch of things you can add in there. The one for auto step climb is:

2.Then when you hop into the airplane, using the CDU LCD, not sure if you can pull it up on the main MFD, click the info button. Now the screen changes, and there is a few buttons at the top. Select QW Config, then under that select MISC. There is an option towards the bottom for auto step climb, select it. Hope that helps!

-Tony@PVD

Will give it a try.

Thanks Tony !

Carsten U

1 hour ago, breakinghbts said:

-Tony@PVD

Quote from the manual: "In all cases, the new climb altitude must be selected in the MCP altitude window before VNAV commands the climb". 

Does this mean, that i have to manually change the altitude everytime a step climb is due? If yes, couldn´t i just enter 43000 (AP) before takeoff and the FMC then would automatically climb as high the OPT allowed it to?

Edit: the reason i´m asking is that i don´t have to be at the computer all the time when flying long haul (>6h)

Edited by F_riedrich
explanation

I have watched a few QW 787 landing videos on YouTube today, and it seems to be rather difficult to hear the engines "roar" when the thrust reversers are engaged. Are people just not using them, or are they only selecting "idle" thrust reverse? One of the most important sound effects with airliner landings (for me) is hearing that loud roar as thrust reverse is engaged (I generally do not use the wheel brakes until I have slowed down to around 80 knots). I assume that this loud roar is simulated in the QW 787?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png