QW787 P3Dv4 - first impressions?

@Christopher Low

At 5'...

Regards,

Edited by charliearon
embedded the video
  • Upvote 1

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

I went ahead and bought it since they gave a timeline for updates. Since most of the issues have been documented by other people, I'll just say this... it feels like an early access product. I've run into so many issues that I'm just going to wait for the hot fixes then decide whether to get a refund. 

The 787 seems to be a big hit with the VATSIM community. Since it's been release I've never seen more 787's on the server than maybe the 737. It's like every third plane is a 787. Even the Twitch streams are dominated by the 787 in the FlightSim section.  Im currently on my 3rd long haul flight in the 787. This flight is 15hrs. I've been flying the doors off this plane since release and besides the minor bugs that have been documented by QW, it's been working great. 

Long Hauls so far have been: KSLC-EHAM, YSSY-KLAX, KLAX-ZSPD

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Yeah, it hs potential, but at the moment it is far from a "good" product.

Nevertheless I like it 🙂 The AP problems bug me the most. Just starting my next flight now, only doing a small hop.

Are you guys using the feature which takes you to a certain waypoint?

29 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Yeah, it hs potential, but at the moment it is far from a "good" product.

Nevertheless I like it 🙂 The AP problems bug me the most. Just starting my next flight now, only doing a small hop.

Are you guys using the feature which takes you to a certain waypoint?

What issues is that? 

So far, I haven't run into any...
Have completed a couple of flights so far, and the plane is behaving as expected.

• Like 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

11 hours ago, SKEWR said:

I did not like the performance hit you get with HDR on (havent tried the "reduce memory" HDR setting on the QWdispatcher).

First I've heard of this issue. As someone who always uses HDR this, for me, is very concerning. I'm wondering what the performance difference is between having it on vs off? 

Eric 

4 hours ago, F_riedrich said:

Quote from the manual: "In all cases, the new climb altitude must be selected in the MCP altitude window before VNAV commands the climb". 

Does this mean, that i have to manually change the altitude everytime a step climb is due? If yes, couldn´t i just enter 43000 (AP) before takeoff and the FMC then would automatically climb as high the OPT allowed it to?

Edit: the reason i´m asking is that i don´t have to be at the computer all the time when flying long haul (>6h)

OK, I just tested it. Either the manual is wrong or it´s a bug. I didn´t have to change anything - it does everything automatically even on the MCP.

50 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

What issues is that? 

So far, I haven't run into any...
Have completed a couple of flights so far, and the plane is behaving as expected.

I explained it some posts before.

On the first flight I Ran into the VNAV bug. On the second one the AP went completely crazy and did not react to any inputs except for speed / lvl change. No heading, no LNAV, no VNAV... everything gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F_riedrich said:

Quote from the manual: "In all cases, the new climb altitude must be selected in the MCP altitude window before VNAV commands the climb". 

Does this mean, that i have to manually change the altitude everytime a step climb is due? If yes, couldn´t i just enter 43000 (AP) before takeoff and the FMC then would automatically climb as high the OPT allowed it to?

If you follow the 2 steps to setup auto step climb, you will not need to manually change the MCP ALT. Start with your initial cruise altitude, and when the time comes to step climb, the aircraft will do it all for you.

-Tony@PVD

• Like 1

Tony Moore

53 minutes ago, swiesma said:

I explained it some posts before.

On the first flight I Ran into the VNAV bug. On the second one the AP went completely crazy and did not react to any inputs except for speed / lvl change. No heading, no LNAV, no VNAV... everything gone.

Hmm weird...

So far, I've only found one weird thing - and I'm not sure it's a bug or error...

If I press CTRL + SHIFT + A (which I use in Outside cam to maneuver during walk-around), it re-loads everything and I'm suddenly in the middle of nowhere. I can't find an explanation, but when I go into Go to Airport, every filter is cleared. There's no shortcut keys mapped to that specific combination in Controls and it's only in the QW 787 it happens...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, swiesma said:

On the second one the AP went completely crazy and did not react to any inputs except for speed / lvl change

I found that if you have the FMC set to type in an entry, it is impossible to change the legs or anything.  If you click the bar to remove the ability to type in an entry into the FMC, you can edit everywhere.

Tried to replicate but cannot. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Tried now a flight without beaming forward to a certain waypoint and now the AP worked good. 🙂

Edited by swiesma

After crashes, BSOD`s and awful LNAV/VNAV performance, I have asked for a refund. Will go ahead and buy the F-18 for DCS, which is at least honestly labeled as early-access (something that QW should also do).

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

After crashes, BSOD`s and awful LNAV/VNAV performance, I have asked for a refund. Will go ahead and buy the F-18 for DCS, which is at least honestly labeled as early-access (something that QW should also do).

Gimme a break - 4 flights so far with no problems, maybe it's your VR usage that creates the problems.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Today, do a flight with 787 from Kbfi - Seatle to Panc Anchorage. 

Departure folowing the steps climbs method, on cruise level...make rapidly a jump... to the descend waypoint with the QW feature (fantastic to have). Was a little suspiciou, but the descend and approach worked perfectly. 

Sure, I like this new style of cockpit, this plane make his official incoming in mine hangar.

Pehaps someone's problems are the editing of a good pln. Or a big part for a good descent and approach is to control the speed or the drags... to help a perfect altitude level in Vnav...