Sign in to follow this  
caleb1

Sync Databases to Different Sims in WAMA

Would anyone know how to sync the Where are my Aircraft databases throughout my different sims so that I can see the planes that I saved the position for in P3D in FSX or vise versa?

Thanks

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Simulators:  Prepar3D v3.4, Prepar3D v4.5, FSX:SE, FSX:Gold Edition

Using the FSX Deluxe Edition SDK SP2 for development.

Hi,

that depends on the simulators involved. You can copy the database manually with full functionality from one version of P3D to another and between FSX SE and boxed. But if you try to transfer it between P3D and FSX in general you will lose the ability to "Enter" a parked aircraft.

To copy the database just copy&paste&rename the WAMA data folder in \Documents, which has a different ending to the directory name for each simulator version that WAMA has been installed for (the one without a custom ending is for FSX boxed).

Best regards

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the reply @Lorby_SI.

I don't use the "enter" feature that often, the only things I really do with WAMA is use it to display my other aircraft and move the plane around (ctrl+shift+numpad).  Where are the database files located for each sim?  I was also thinking about creating a symbolic link for one of my sims in the location of the database file and it would link to my other database file.  Would you know if this would work?

Thanks

Caleb Byers

PC: HP Envy 750, Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.4 GHz (max 4.0 GHz), 24GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 with 4GB Memory, 2TB SSHD Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Where are the database files located for each sim?

See above, they are in your "\Documents" folder

C:\Users\...\Documents\WhereAreMyAircraft_P3D_V4 Files
C:\Users\...\Documents\WhereAreMyAircraft_SE Files

etc.

but I cannot recommend doing this. The saved flight formats are different between the older and the newer sims, and one false click will potentially end in a CTD. Furthermore, giving more than one WAMA installation access to the same sqlite database (which contains the logbook, gate and airport data) will probably destroy it at some point.

About the only thing that you can do is to copy the "WAMA_Position_DB.xml" between installations. Just remember to never (!) click "Enter" or "Leave".

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the reply @Lorby_SI.  What is it that you do not recommend doing?  Copying the database files between sims or creating a symbolic link?

Thanks.

Caleb Byers

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Thanks for the reply @Lorby_SI.  What is it that you do not recommend doing?  Copying the database files between sims or creating a symbolic link?

Thanks.

I am not comfortable with any of this. Deliberately breaking referential integrity in the database of an application is a no-go.

But if you make backup copies, than at least nothing bad should happen. Just be prepared for CTDs (in WAMA and maybe the sim too). WAMA was not designed with cross-compatibility in mind. 

Best regards

• Like 1

LORBY-SI

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

I am not comfortable with any of this. Deliberately breaking referential integrity in the database of an application is a no-go.

But if you make backup copies, than at least nothing bad should happen. Just be prepared for CTDs (in WAMA and maybe the sim too). WAMA was not designed with cross-compatibility in mind. 

Best regards

Ok.  I am now realizing that the flight files are in different formats in FSX than in P3D (FSX is .FLT and P3D is .FXML) so I can see how that is not the best way to go.  I tried copying the aircraft position data from the FSX database file to the P3D database file and the flight file from the FSX WAMA folder to the P3D WAMA folder and then WAMA for P3D did not even open, so I had to restore my backup of the WAMA P3D database file.  I guess it might be an ok idea to copy the databases and the flight file from P3D v3 to P3D v4 or vise versa but not from FSX to P3D or from P3D to FSX, as P3D v3 and v4 both use the same flight file formats as FSX does not.

Many thanks for the help.

Caleb Byers