Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

USB Loss of Device Connection & Computer Crashes

I’m posting this in the PMDG and P3D forum because I don’t know where this problem lies.   I am using P3Dv4.2.

I have a ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe MB with an i2700K 3.4G processor running Windows 10 64bit.  I have several devices connected to USB 2 and USB 3 ports including a PFC Yoke, Flightlink rudder, JetMax 737 Throttle, and GoFlight MCP, EFIS, and Radio Stack.  The GoFlight Radio Stack has powered USB hub, which is connected to a USB 2 port.   I am also using Remote CDU and an iPad for a remote FMS display.

Recently, while flying the PMDG B777 on several occasions I have lost USB connection between the JetMax throttle and the P3D and the computer.  I checked the Game Controller Settings in Windows and there was no response when the throttles were moved.  I unplugged the JetMax throttles from the USB port, waited a few seconds and then re-plugged them in.  Sometimes, it re-established connect, sometimes not.  Sometimes it would re-establish connections, but the settings quickly changed within the PMDG 777 simulator (e.g., Engine Run switches moved to cut-off – these switches are mapped to the simulator using FSUPIC) and some axis did not recover (e.g., left throttle).

So far, I have not seen this occur in any other simulator add-on, for example the PMDG 737NGX using the same hardware setup. 

Also, while using the B777, I have experienced multiple computer hard crashes where the screen locks up with a blue staticky looking screen and loud screeching sound.   The computer becomes unresponsive and needs to be shut down by holding the power switch for 5 to 7 seconds.  Once again, no other add-on including PMDG NGX causes a similar issue.   To me, this sounds like a memory issue?

Questions:

1.       Do I have a USB issue?  I heard that USB 3 doesn’t always play well with FSX/P3D hardware.  Is that true and could that be an issue?  The JetMax throttles are plugged into a USB 2 port, not a USB 3 port.

2.       Are my computer crashes and PMDG 777 somehow related to the loss of USB connectivity?

3.       Could this be a simconnect issue? 

4.       Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and/or fix?

Thanks for your assistance!

Best regards,

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

1 minute ago, richjb2 said:

1.       Do I have a USB issue?  I heard that USB 3 doesn’t always play well with FSX/P3D hardware.  Is that true and could that be an issue?  The JetMax throttles are plugged into a USB 2 port, not a USB 3 port.

Probably. If you're looking at what Windows is seeing (a lack of movement), you're getting the info right off of the interface. The sim is after that in the flow of things.

1 minute ago, richjb2 said:

2.       Are my computer crashes and PMDG 777 somehow related to the loss of USB connectivity?

See above. If Win isn't seeing movement, then the sim isn't part of the issue (and therefore the 777 - we don't do any direct interfacing with hardware, so, no).

2 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

3.       Could this be a simconnect issue? 

Doubtful. See 1.

2 minutes ago, richjb2 said:

4.       Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot and/or fix?

Sort it between the hardware and the interface (USB). Leave the sim out of it until you can reliably see how Win is seeing/processing the data. With all of the Win update stuff going on, could be a bad driver or something.

Kyle Rodgers

11 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Sort it between the hardware and the interface (USB). Leave the sim out of it until you can reliably see how Win is seeing/processing the data. With all of the Win update stuff going on, could be a bad driver or something.

Power saving feature?  Windows has much of that to accommodate the laptop market.  I run most of my USB devices through a self-powered hub and I turn off all power saving features.

Dan Downs KCRP

31 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Probably. If you're looking at what Windows is seeing (a lack of movement), you're getting the info right off of the interface. The sim is after that in the flow of things.

See above. If Win isn't seeing movement, then the sim isn't part of the issue (and therefore the 777 - we don't do any direct interfacing with hardware, so, no).

Doubtful. See 1.

Thanks Kyle! 

Could the computer crashes I'm seeing with the B777 be related to the loss of USB connectivity?  For example, could this be a memory issue?  I have 16 GB of RAM. 

Thanks again,

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

20 minutes ago, downscc said:

Power saving feature?  Windows has much of that to accommodate the laptop market.  I run most of my USB devices through a self-powered hub and I turn off all power saving features.

Hi Dan,

Have all the power saving features turned off except for the monitor.  I might have to purchase a self-powered hub for the Jetmax throttles.  There is a lot of functions (switches and axis) going through that device. 

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Okay.  You likely need to disable Windows Advanced Power Management for the affected devices.  Dive into Control Panel. Device Manager, Human Interface Devices and identify your affected items there.  Click Properties, then check for a tab for Power Management.  Click it and disable it for the device(s).  You may also need to go through a process of Registry edits.

This issue has commonly affected Saitek brand items and some users have written apps that make the Registry edits for those devices.

I had horrible issues like you mention both in Windows 7 and Windows 10 and chased my tail for a year with better powered hubs, cables, etc. and it was the Windows APM that was the issue.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere