Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

Scenery looks washed out

I have just installed PR3D v4 and noticed that compared with FSX the scenery looks pale and washed out.

Is that the way it is or is there a way I can change settings to make scenery look more realistic in brightness.

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

You can make it look more like FSX...

Try this for a start:

SETTINGS
within P3Dv4

Display:
FXAA off   
AA:  4XSSAA
texture filtering: anisotropic  8X
texture resolution: high 2048x2048
Vsync  off
Target framerate: unlimited
Wideview aspect: off
mipmap VC panels off
Screen resolution:  1920X1080

World
LOD radius:  high
Tesselation factor: high
mesh resolution:  5m
texture resolution:  1m
high resolution terrain: on

Scenery complexity: extremely dense
autogen draw distance:  medium
autogen vegetation density: normal
autogen building density: dense
Dynamic vegetation: unticked

water detail:  medium
Reflections: user vehicle only
Special effects: medium/medium

Lighting
shadow quality:  high
draw distance: low
casting and receiving: Internal vehicle only

Dynamic lighting: off

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.85
Saturation 0.80

Dynamic reflections: off

Bert

24 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

the scenery looks pale and washed out.

Turn HDR off to test if it comes from it.

Mike

Actually, you shouldn't turn it off (it is an excellent visual feature) but you do have to tune it to your preference, display conditions, etc.  I've tamed it but keep it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Regarding HDR - I did find some things regarding HDR but still have no idea what it is and how it is enabled/disabled. I am assuming that it is disabled (is this the default on installation) as one article I read mentioned modifying a HLSL file (I think but cannot remember its file name) by removing the 'comment marks" (//"  from a parameter  and trying different values in a but I could not find that parameter.

Since I posted this thread I found in Graphics/Lighting  settings sliders to adjust Brightness/Bloom/Saturation and so I adjusted brightness to get a more realistic brightness of scenery but still was not satisfied so 'played with' Bloom and Saturation levels even though I wasn't sure what to expect (and still don't) but could not get a satisfactory 'look'.

I guess I was expecting 'things' to look similar to how they do in FSX but I am fast coming to the conclusion that I should forget what happens in FSX and just learn PR3D.

I will try what Bert suggests but would also like some feedback on what I mentioned above.

Lastly how do I ensure that I get notifications when replies are posted. I have the slider at the bottom set to "Notify me of replies' but did not get any emails. I have the correct email address in my settings.

Thanks

John

John

The default settings in P3D look different from FSX, but if you try my settings as a starting point, you have something that will look quite familiar.

No need to edit any files, all these settings are done via the Options/Graphics tab in the P3D user interface.

Bert

Count me as another who finds that turning off HDR lighting is preferred as the way to eliminate the washed out effect of the lighting in Prepar3d. You can also try turning up the brightness slider and turning down the bloom slider with HDR lighting enabled, but my experience is that turning it off produces better results, and produces a lighting effect more comparable to that seen in FSX. 

HDR off = better FPS and better looking 😉

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

Thanks everyone.

I tried the settings Bernie suggested and liked the result although my fps dropped about 10 after implementing the scenery complexity settings which is to be expected (still getting over 50 though) on the ground at Sydney International  (YSSY).

I will now check the differences with HDR off.

John

I prefer HDR on, as the display is way too bright for me with HDR disabled.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

But with HDR lighting off, I can then adjust the overall brightness of the display with the Nvidia display driver's color/brightness settings, and accomplish a consistently pleasing appearance, which I can't seem to get with HDR lighting enabled..

Rich

Alternative setting:

HDR on:
Brightness 0.85
Bloom 0.05
Saturation 0.97

More "neutral"

Bert

That's is very close to mine Bert:

HDR on:

Brightness 0.80

Bloom 0.30

Saturation 1.00

I suspect many that prefer HDR off simply don't understand that this is a dynamic effect.  Look out the windscreen at bright clouds then in the cockpit at the panel and it will seem darker for a short while until "your eyes adjust."  Don't be in a hurry for the apparent lighting to adjust.

Dan Downs KCRP

Interesting what Rich stated "using nVidia's driver settings".

That begs another question.

I read somewhere regarding graphics settings for FSX to turn off anti aliasing in FSX and turn it on with the nVidia settings as the GPU is faster and takes some of the load off the CPU. Any thoughts.

John

In P3D, set it in the P3D settings... FSX is history, does not apply here.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert