Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

We sure have come a long way, for the better!

I'm in a dawn flight right now, and in light of how many features I have at full render, in how many add-on's I am running,  Ortho4XP with all the rendering/compiling features enabled in the custom ini. file, with added (x2) road traffic add-on's, with a custom weather engine, ReShade (the latest non-crashing version), all of it...and yet, I can now very much stay at 30 FPS, no matter what terrain, what weather metrics...XP 11.20 (latest full release) is the ticket, now.  Laminar has done above-the-call in product code efficiency with this latest edition, and alongside myself, others have posted their high and stable FPS performance as well.

I'm glad that I got off the constant hardware up-date train a few years ago...and just let the software coding, catch up to the performance we had...but the software, whether P3D, or XP, could not take full advantage of.  Man, has that (as regards XP 11.020) all changed for the good.

Where in XP10.x, I'd be lucky with the load of add-ons and the full out rendering that I demand, I'd be lucky to see a stable 15-17 for most of the flight.  Now...30's all 30's most of the time. A few times it flickers to 24-29 FPS, but then right back to my locked 30.  I get great performance also with P3D 4.2, so all in all...a very happy event of use.  I have a 10 year old system, with a 1070 card...and quite frankly, don't need to update a thing.  A great situation to be in.

If you are running XP 11.20, you have got to be enjoying the best FPS performance, you have ever had, yourself.  It's now the coding...and that should bring out the best performance of any system....  I think we have it made, now! Back to the flight...enjoy your copy....

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1

I agree that 11.20 is a good performer, but on my end, XP11 is still not performing significantly better than 10.51 (or especially 10.36 which gave the best and most stable fps for me) with the same scenery, aircraft and comparable settings.

But of course that's highly individual and only applicable to my system, settings etc. And we need to account for the extras like PBR and reflections which put more load on the system. So it's not really possible to compare 10 and 11 under identical marginal conditions.

Any comments on cockpit shadows in 11.20?

When 11.20 was first released I read that the LUA script that smoothed-out shadows stopped working. (???)

I'm afraid to update for that reason alone.  I don't want have the old jagged edge shadows.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg D.

No idea, I never used FlyWithLua or any scripts for that reason.

Edited by mgeiss

21 hours ago, cap10jaf said:

Any comments on cockpit shadows in 11.20?

When 11.20 was first released I read that the LUA script that smoothed-out shadows stopped working. (???)

I'm afraid to update for that reason alone.  I don't want have the old jagged edge shadows.

I don't see any jagged edges in cockpit shadows in vanilla 11.20. The edges aren't perfectly smooth, but very close to a solid edge. Nothing noticeable unless I really zoom in and look for it, and I'm not even using a very high AA setting:

Visual Effects - High (HDR)
Texture Quality - High
Antialiasing - 2x SSAA+FXAA

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

2 hours ago, Paraffin said:

I don't see any jagged edges in cockpit shadows in vanilla 11.20. The edges aren't perfectly smooth, but very close to a solid edge. Nothing noticeable unless I really zoom in and look for it, and I'm not even using a very high AA setting:

Visual Effects - High (HDR)
Texture Quality - High
Antialiasing - 2x SSAA+FXAA

Thanks for the reply.  It encouraged me to update to 11.20, because I use the same AA as you. 

Here's what I found:

With my LUA cockpit shadows script disabled, the jagged edges were back (3480 X 2160 on a 43" screen)

After enabling my original LUA cockpit shadow script, shadows are back to perfect!  Not sure why those other guys had issues, but it's working for me.

Thanks again,

Greg D.

Hi @Sesquashtoo, thoroughly agree.

A point - you say that Reshade no longer crashes X-Plane. Can you say what version that is?

Andrew

On 5/28/2018 at 5:28 AM, andro_b said:

Hi @Sesquashtoo, thoroughly agree.

A point - you say that Reshade no longer crashes X-Plane. Can you say what version that is?

Andrew

As the above poster...ReShade3.3.2. exits clean when XP11.20 shuts down.