• 31-40 years
    • 41-50 years
    • 51-60 years
    • 61-70 years
    • 71-80 years
    • 81-90 years
    • 91-100 years
    • older

Primary roadblock to getting younger individuals into becoming pilots is cost.  A PPL is prohibitively expensive these days when you consider that due to cost of living how many younger individuals still live with family.

• Like 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I was interested by this survey but wondered if it would be skewed by the fact that forums are generally an older crowd and social media attracts a younger crowd. I run a big XP11 Facebook group with close on 9000 members and decided to do a similar poll there. The results suggest there is a much higher percentage of younger users than the poll here shows. In my experience of running the group we have a huge number of young enthusiasts. These are the results, although its an X-Plane group I would expect similar results in a P3D or general flight sim group on social media. 

10-20  - 68

21-30  - 101

31-40  - 101

41-50. - 117

51-60  - 49

61-70  - 28

71-80  - 5

81-90. - 1

Edited by yidahoo
  • Upvote 2

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Its a Facebook-group and that explains more youth.
I am confident a P3D Facebook group will give the same lower average age.

Fact is regular fora like AVSIM have much more visiters than Facebookgroops as they tend to go deeper in  into detalis.
So the fact the Facebookfora give a lower everage age will not mean the average age will be lower than the outcome of this poll.
Almost all Facebookgroup visiters visit sites like AVSIM too.

People over 50 are significant less using Facebook.

Its hard to get a real good impression of the situation.

Collecting reactions on a forum is a slow process , its the visiter who comes by and has to notice the poll , to react.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

I think an interesting question as well is what age did you start and which sim was your first. Also, what system? 

For me, I had a sim on my Apple IIc.... I think it was Sublogic FS II. The year was 1985 and I was 5 years old. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:21 AM, yidahoo said:

I was interested by this survey but wondered if it would be skewed by the fact that forums are generally an older crowd and social media attracts a younger crowd. I run a big XP11 Facebook group with close on 9000 members and decided to do a similar poll there. The results suggest there is a much higher percentage of younger users than the poll here shows. In my experience of running the group we have a huge number of young enthusiasts. These are the results, although its an X-Plane group I would expect similar results in a P3D or general flight sim group on social media. 

10-20  - 68

21-30  - 101

31-40  - 101

41-50. - 117

51-60  - 49

61-70  - 28

71-80  - 5

81-90. - 1

I would agree, most of the younger people are on the Facebook groups involved in aviation simulation. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You also have to look at the fact the older crowd can afford to pay the price when it comes to this hobby when it comes to software and hardware. Flight Simming is not cheap. I stopped counting after awhile, LOL

Check out the Facebook pages when a high price Addon is released. 😛

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

This poll is about the average age on this AVSIM-FORUM.
Fact is the average age of the participants on social media like facebook is much lower.

The moment flightsimmers want to discuss technical things and looking for explanations , manuals and things like that the tend to come to the forums like AVSIM.
On  fora like AVSIM its more easy to find thinks who have been discussed and explained in the past, than in a Facebook-group.
Its not possible search in the past on Facbook..
The moment a flightsimmer gets real interested in flightsimming , not just playing with an airplane-game, he will turn to the traditional fora too.

I thinks its very hard to determine the real average age of the whole sim-community.

A poll on Facbook-groups give a much lower average age.
I have done several polls on tratditional fora like Avsim and X-Plane org and the outcome is an average age of around 50 years.

I visited flightsim events and noticed the avarage age of active participants, demonstrating, showing and explaining, to be................... around 50 years .

The average age is about he same at all platforms.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

On 6/9/2018 at 3:35 AM, Leen3131cs said:

I visited flightsim events and noticed the avarage age of active participants, demonstrating, showing and explaining, to be................... around 50 years .

The average age is about he same at all platforms.

Previous AVSIM demographic polls, that were set up by Tom using expensive commercial survey tools, showed the same results when it came to the age question. Believe the last major AVSIM Demographic poll was conducted in 2014.  Interesting to see the average age has not changed too much but recall 56 being the average in the past.  The average age may increase or decrease as this polling question gets more responses.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, I just got back home from the FSExpo18 here in Las Vegas.  If I hadn't known the topic of the get-together was a flight simming convention, I would have thought I was at my 45th year high school reunion.  Seemed like all the under 30 crowd was either working the display booths or providing convention support.  Most of the people wandering around looking at all the cool stuff were within 10 years of my age.  I was half expecting the water dispensers to dispense prune-shooters.  😂

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

Also just returned from the FSExpo18 and was surprise by the large number of RW pilots or students working on their PPL among the attendees. Good to see that!

• Like 3

Thank you all for your reactions.

I dd a survey about the age of the flightsimmers  on an exclusive X-Plane oriented forum too.

The outcome there  50 years.

Its possible the score on Facebook and other media might be a bit lower average age.

So I do NOT say the average simmer is 50 years old.

A survey about the average age on fora gives us  50 years.

Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints