Sign in to follow this  
Midcon113

Trying to make the P3D vs XP11 Decision...

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

@signmanbob

Ditto - before 64bit P3D I was basically XP11 only (FSX only prior to xp10's release)

Im not sure I could leave the lovely assortment of high quality addons in P3D.  And once the OOM issue was solved I happily also reinvested in P3D v4.

.....and for X-Plane 11, let me just add "Better Pushback" and "Airport Visual System"...plugins that I just love.

• Upvote 1

As far as addons are concerned most of my addons from FSX were no problem UK2OOO just downloaded the new installer same with all my ORBX, and some of my other airports that are patched version of old FSX to work in P3Dv4.

With what I have now if I went to a new sim and could purchase all my addons but you cant not available for XP it would now cost more than £1000, all of FB airports, DD, most of FSDT, a lot of Aerosoft UK2000 all ORBX regions except Alaska and Oceania, and ORBX airports,

AS4,ASCA, EVTEX, EVSHADE, Chaseplan , PMDG aircraft , FS2Crew, SIMstarter, now I've listed most my estimate my be more.

And I like to fly in the same session weather that's out of my window spring at the moment. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Absolutely agree with all that’s been said. The sims are so different that you can’t really compare them as the biggest weakness of one is often the biggest strength of the other. Most folks these days have both and flip flop between them for different things. 

The only thing I would add is that P3Dv4.2 performs really well for me on my 6700k/1080ti combo with a 4k screen. XP11 is much more hardware intensive for me at this resolution and at comparatively lower settings. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

And I'd like to add a big thank you to all the posters in this thread for keeping it civil. I must admit, when I first saw the title of this thread I was tempted to warn everyone before the flames started. That has USUALLY been the result of P3D vs XP11 threads.

I'm glad I didn't. Shows we can have good discussions without resorting to arguments.

Thanx again to all.

Vic

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You gonna hear many different opinions and arguments, as already mentioned, nothing but try, i have both and like both, but in the last few months i exclusively have been in XP, mainly because of the Flight Factor A320 and now i increased my Airbus fleet with the Toliss A319, both masterpieces, once you get in the flight dynamics of XP is hard to go back to P3D and have the feeling of flying bricks, nevertheless P3D is still on my computer and i still love it, but if one day XP as all the addons options that P3D as, it's going to be my only simulator.

Edited by dmarques69

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

57 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

You gonna hear many different opinions and arguments, as already mentioned, nothing but try, i have both and like both, but in the last few months i exclusively have been in XP, mainly because of the Flight Factor A320 and now i increased my Airbus fleet with the Toliss A319, both masterpieces, once you get in the flight dynamics of XP is hard to go back to P3D and have the feeling of flying bricks, nevertheless P3D is still on my computer and i still love it, but if one day XP as all the addons options that P3D as, it's going to be my only simulator.

I a pilot with many hundreds of hours of real aircraft flying, and the planes I fly in P3D don't fly like "flying bricks." How can you make a claim like that?  

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

XP11 is a great sandbox to play in. If your creative you can build an amazing Sim completely for free but donations for the Devs appreciated of course. But why are you leaving FSX? If OOMS are not an issue then grab steves DX10 fixer and you get shadows and bloom and some nice eye candy bringing it closer to P3D visually

I have both but am mesmerized with XP11, such fluid flight dynamics and ORBX have now released 2 airports so the future is looking bright...If only PMDG would commit with jets!

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

On 5/26/2018 at 8:35 PM, Bobsk8 said:

I a pilot with many hundreds of hours of real aircraft flying, and the planes I fly in P3D don't fly like "flying bricks." How can you make a claim like that?  

Not going to argue that with you, even more if you are a real pilot, but the differences are just so notorious, anyone can see it and feel it, i made one challenge to my self and i landed the PMDG 737 and the Zibo mod 737 in the same weather conditions and in the same aiport, and oh my, its like night and day, the PMDG(great in systems simulation) was not even a challenge to land, is so straight foward, as for the ZIBO, it took me 3 attempts to land, this with a severe cross wind in both.

As a side note i was whats can be called a P3D ******, i have probably more than 1000 hours in P3D, but in terms of flight model once you go with XP you cant go back, even with the lack of so many other things, and no one can say the opposite, is just there to see.

• Upvote 4

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

15 hours ago, vgbaron said:

And I'd like to add a big thank you to all the posters in this thread for keeping it civil. I must admit, when I first saw the title of this thread I was tempted to warn everyone before the flames started. That has USUALLY been the result of P3D vs XP11 threads.

I'm glad I didn't. Shows we can have good discussions without resorting to arguments.

Thanx again to all.

Vic

Agreed I didn't intend to start any flame wars! Just a civil discussion of the merits of both sims. And thank you everyone who answered - you very much helped out!

• Like 1

Mark Lam

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Not going to argue that with you, even more if you are a real pilot, but the differences are just so notorious, anyone can see it and feel it, i made one challenge to my self and i landed the PMDG 737 and the Zibo mod 737 in the same weather conditions and in the same aiport, and oh my, its like night and day, the PMDG(great in systems simulation) was not even a challenge to land, is so straight foward, as for the ZIBO, it took me 3 attempts to land, this with a severe cross wind in both.

As a side note i was whats can be called a P3D f a n b o y, i have probably more than 1000 hours in P3D, but in terms of flight model once you go with XP you cant go back, even with the lack of so many other things, and no one can say the opposite, is just there to see.

I have tried P3D with a couple of GA aircraft that I have flown, and i didn't think it was realistic at all, but I am comparing it to how the actual aircraft handles. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Get the bucket of water ready😁

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I think it's pretty fantastic that we're seeing so many simmers enjoying both platforms (once upon a time it really was two entrenched camps lobbing grenades at one another).

When  i built a new PC a couple of months ago the only reason I started my "new life" with XP was because it was so easy to just copy/paste from my old drive onto my new drive and get up and running whereas with P3D it required a ton of re-installs so I just parked the project and started to enjoy what XP offered. This past week I started the process of getting P3D v4.2 installed and reinstalling all my add-ons and like many have already stated, I don't think I can pick one over the other as they both offer much of the same but each also has their own strong points that bring me back to enjoy them both. I don't want to get into a side by side comparison of each platform but I think now that XP is maturing very nicely as is P3D there is in fact room on your system for both and both can equally be enjoyed. 

If budget can accommodate it, I suggest you get both and with XP there's so many freeware plugins that the cost of ownership can be really small at the onset so you're not doubling your expenditures on add-ons to get up and running on both of these platforms.

What ever you decide, it'll be a great decision and I'm sure you're going to enjoy either!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have tried P3D with a couple of GA aircraft that I have flown, and i didn't think it was realistic at all, but I am comparing it to how the actual aircraft handles. 

You meant XP right? or your fingers are telling you the truth 😀

Marques

On 5/27/2018 at 1:43 PM, dmarques69 said:

The only RW experience I have is 35 hours in the Cherokee 140 from 1975...

but...

I have the VFlyteAir Original Cherokee 140 in XP, and I can't for the life of me land it without bouncing all over the place. I don't remember ever having trouble in the real thing planting it on the ground...

Just sayin"

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)