Sign in to follow this  
busdriver

Overclocking = FPS Increase, but how much?

Folks,

Is there a hard and fast rule for the number of additional .1gHz of overclocking that equals the number of FPS increase. For example - 6700K at say 4.5gHZ runs at x number of FPS, and for every .1 increase, how much that amounts to in additional FPS?

Trying to decide if it's worth an upgrade from a 6700K at 4.8 to an 8700K at 5.2 as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I don't believe there is a hard and fast rule concerning this. There are too many variables that come into play. 

If you are referring to FSX/SE/P3D, then a faster processor and more memory will certainly help. A better video card with more Vram will also be beneficial.

But with the differences in hardware right down to the MB and its' architecture, identical systems may not get the same fps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

It’s almost a lottery when picking your parts, in my opinion there are just too many variables that come into play when wanting to know what your gains will be.

if you did upgrade you might find that the 8700k wasn’t what you expected, or it might blow you away by how much better it performed 

if I were to guess though, it might not raise your FPS a whole lot, depending on your settings. the 6700k is a decent chip though

• Upvote 1

There are, as @188AHC says, a LOT of factors that go into frame rate, and to be honest, you may not want the highest FPS if it comes at the expense of blurry textures or stutters.

You neglected to mentioned which simulator you are using. The processing bottlenecks with FSX are quite a bit different than P3Dv4 or XPlane.

For a just a second, let's assume that your processor is the bottleneck and you are going to increase it about 8% (4.8 -> 5.2), is there any reason to expect more than an 8% increase in FPS? 

I guess the answer to your question, again as Rick said, there is no hard and fast rule. However if you post more information about your simulator/hardware AND what are the issues you would like to change, there are a lot folks here with lot of good experience that could potentially help tune your system.

Hope this helps, give us more info!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies. A bit more about my system:

P3D V4.2

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

6700K delided and running at 4.8gHz

Asus 1070

16Gb of Ram

Samsung EVO SSD for OS and dedicated SSD for P3D

7 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Thanks guys, really appreciate the replies. A bit more about my system:

P3D V4.2

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

6700K delided and running at 4.8gHz

Asus 1070

16Gb of Ram

Samsung EVO SSD for OS and dedicated SSD for P3D

Your system is very similar to mine. What are the issues of concern? Specific sceneries or scenarios problematic?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

Your system is very similar to mine. What are the issues of concern? Specific sceneries or scenarios problematic?

Henry,

When using the FSLabs A320 or PMDG aircraft (747) I get a decent amount of stuttering in complex scenery areas such as KSAN, SFO, etc... I am using the ORBX addons, including NoCal and SoCal.

Thanks!

Bill, 

I am running P3Dv4 with an i7-4790K at 4.8 with a GTX 1080 (regular not TI) card.  Almost all my flying in in Orbx No/SoCal.

My experience with Orbx Cali regions is to have the autogen and shadow settings turned down. For example, I have building autogen on normal and vegetation autogen on sparse. With shadows, I have building and vegetation shadow cast unchecked.  Running complex aircraft in this area, I'm getting 20 to 40 FPS but with no stutters or blurries. 

You have a pretty demanding scenario combining the FSLabs 320 with Orbx.  Have you done some of the basic troubleshooting steps like backing up your p3d.cfg file and letting the sim create a new one? Or done any bench marking with a tool like NvidiaInspector to see what might be bottle necking?

If you find that your graphics card is at 100% all the time, try turning off HDR to see if that helps. 

Another great resource here at Avsim is the Prepar3d Guide. I would definitely go thru that doc.

Sorry I can't be more specific but in your case with the demanding add-ons, the stuttering could be caused by a lot of different factors. Definitely start your troubleshooting with a fresh p3d.cfg file and lower autogen/shadow settings. 

Update this thread as you do your troubleshooting and maybe we can get more specifics.

Edited by Henry Street
  • Upvote 2

Thanks Henry! To be honest, I have no idea how to benchmark to see what the bottleneck is! 

I think your system is on the very high end.  About the only thing you could do would be to get a GTX 1080 Ti (but I woudnt with  the new 1180's/2080 coming out soon-ish)

Orbx norcal and especially socal crush my system.... you really gotta turn down autogen if you're planning on flying with payware airplanes.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

19 hours ago, busdriver said:

Folks,

Is there a hard and fast rule for the number of additional .1gHz of overclocking that equals the number of FPS increase. For example - 6700K at say 4.5gHZ runs at x number of FPS, and for every .1 increase, how much that amounts to in additional FPS?

Trying to decide if it's worth an upgrade from a 6700K at 4.8 to an 8700K at 5.2 as well.

Thanks in advance for any input.

As long as you don't have any significant bottlenecks, it's linear. For example: 4.5 GHz to 5 GHz equates to  about 11%, so at 30 frames per second that's an increase of 3.3 frames per second. Personally I've always found this to be the case with my systems. But as I say, if you're contending with significant bottlenecks then that's a variable that will change the outcome.

First thing you will take from that is that the increase in frame rate isn't huge. Useful in the sim of course, as it's more CPU orientated, but in games you could argue it's barely worth it. If I were still simming, then without hesitation I would be overclocking, as frame rate is always a sought after commodity in the sim. But as I don't sim anymore, and the games I play are more GPU orientated, overclocking for me isn't required.

What I do though, as an enthusiast, when I build a new rig, is experiment with overclocking to determine the capabilities of my system. If I get back into flight sim, or any application that is CPU biased, then yes, overclocking will be something I opt for.

6700k at 4.8 to an 8700K at 5.2

Two different CPU's, two different architectures. The increase in IPC (Instructions Per Cycle) and higher stock frequency will net you 9% for single core performance. Just over 8% for the overclock, so 17% total. So at 30 FPS I would estimate an additional 5 frames per second. Plus any gains from faster RAM. 

That's my estimate anyway.

• Like 1

My experience with overclocking and FSX is that there is a linear relationship between CPU speed and FPS so long as there are no bottlenecks such as an underperforming video card, RAM, bus speeds or disc read/write/seek times.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Guys,

I really appreciate all the replies, the information has been great.

Thanks!

-Busdriver