Sign in to follow this  
RGus

Russian Hackers going after home/office routers!

Saw this on the internet a moment ago, urging all to power off your router for a few minutes, power back up and then go into the manufacturer's website to see if a security update has been issued for your router. My router is a Netgear and sure even there was a new security update, took about 3-4 minutes to download. Better safe, than sorry!  Article says 100's of thousands of routers worldwide!

Moderators, if there is a better place to post this, please move it! Thanks - Rick

• Like 1

Did we forget the link?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-routers/fbi-warns-russians-hacked-hundreds-of-thousands-of-routers-idUSKCN1IQ2DY

If you have any of these routers, the FBI is suggesting you do a factory reset to get rid of possible malware. Remember this will reset everything, as if the router just came from the store. 

Linksys E1200

Linksys E2500

Linksys WRVS4400N

Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072

Netgear DGN2200

Netgear R6400

Netgear R7000

Netgear R8000

Netgear WNR1000

Netgear WNR2000

QNAP TS251

QNAP TS439 Pro

Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software

TP-Link R600VPN

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/hackers-infect-500000-consumer-routers-all-over-the-world-with-malware/

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

No Dave, didn't forget the link, I'm bad, sorry~! There just wasn't much more than what I said on the post I submitted. Your article is quite complete. The article I had, only listed 3 mfg's, Netgear, Belkin and another which I can't remember, but no models were even mentioned! Thanks for completing the information! I hope many see it, just to be on the safe side!

Rick

Where does all of this end? We have all of these alphabet agencies (CIA, FBI, etc..) yet we have issues like this and possibly our (US) presidential elections? I'm fairly certain they have stopped things that would have been a problem for Joe and Jane Citizen, but I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about our protection against foreign governments.

Regardless, good catch gentlemen.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I don't see D-Link routers on that list, but I'll check on this further for certain! :huh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Is there a legit link available from a credible or direct FBI source?  Or is this in itself a Russian ploy?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Try a Google search  "Routers and Russian Hackers"  Many articles there.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Is there a legit link available from a credible or direct FBI source?  Or is this in itself a Russian ploy?

US-CERT notice: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2018/05/23/VPNFilter-Destructive-Malware

More from the geek world: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/fbi-tells-router-users-to-reboot-now-to-kill-malware-infecting-500k-devices/

and

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-protect-your-router-from-the-latest-malware-atta-1826280946

All folks should avoid running naked through the Internet! 😉

Greg

I'm tired of all this.  I give up.  I just don't live in the world as I knew it anymore.  Come and get me if you want.  I stopped caring about politics, government, hackers, mass shooters...the whole ball of wax.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.