Sign in to follow this  
bbogdansk

Why has Microsoft done this to me? Is it the update that made it this way?

3 hours ago, Dio said:

I agree with Vortex, i had no problems with Microsoft Updates. A very good solution is to have a dual boot system. I have 2 HDD both with Windows 10, one just Flight sim software and the other with my normal everyday stuff (I use it for my work). And before a major update I backup the entire partition to an external HDD (Just in case...)

Regards. 

I will definitely take your advice about the external HDD - I am kicking myself for not doing that. But like you, I also have 2 HDD with the D: drive exclusively for flight sim. Unfortunately, there are a lot of files related to the sim on the C: drives, including many we're not even aware of. And Windows is the OS for both drives so sadly, for me at least, the two separate drives wasn't a good insurance policy. BTW, I really appreciated your help in trying to solve my problem with the vanished saved flights etc. on another post. Sadly, I now know that the update was the problem there and that was just the first and most visible symptom... Oh well, I've been simming since FS95 and this won't be the first or last time I've had to do a complete reinstall. :happy: Hopefully it will be the last I do without a full backup on an external drive

Cheers

Ian

44 minutes ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

I will definitely take your advice about the external HDD - I am kicking myself for not doing that. But like you, I also have 2 HDD with the 😧 drive exclusively for flight sim. Unfortunately, there are a lot of files related to the sim on the 😄 drives, including many we're not even aware of. And Windows is the OS for both drives so sadly, for me at least, the two separate drives wasn't a good insurance policy. BTW, I really appreciated your help in trying to solve my problem with the vanished saved flights etc. on another post. Sadly, I now know that the update was the problem there and that was just the first and most visible symptom... Oh well, I've been simming since FS95 and this won't be the first or last time I've had to do a complete reinstall. :happy: Hopefully it will be the last I do without a full backup on an external drive

Cheers

Ian

Actually i mean two different drives with 2 different Windows Installations

1) One HDD with Windows Installation + Sim software

2) One HDD with Windows Installation + every day stuff

If you use the let's say the HDD2  the 1 is not affected. Keeping your system as simple as possible is the best way to avoid Update problems. And is very easy for Backup- Restore operations.

THink about it, Regards.

Had to insert my 2¢ here, as I had replaced my old Win 7 dead machine with two new Win 10 units, one a Cyberpower machine used only for running FSX/SE, DCS World and ARMA 3. I had no choice on the Win 10 OS...neither seller would install Win 7 on the purchased machines.

I have found that MS now controls my machines. First off, I tried to purchase MS Office, and found that it now is "leased" and you must auto-renew or lose most of its features. I also found that updates are now mandatory, and your only choice is deciding when they will be installed. As a result, during a recent update, MS decided that Home Groups would no longer exist. As a result, I lost all networking between my two desktops and my wife's laptop. It's taken me hours to re-establish this network.

it took me over a month to reinstall FSX/SE with all of the "extras" - ORBX, PMDG, A2A, FSDT, etc. At this time, I have no plans to do it all over again. But I would advise anyone in this predicament to consider purchasing Win 7 ( which MS no longer supports), and install FSX on it. MS now wants full control of your machines, and that is way wrong. Even their security software tries to keep other AV software from working.  

If you're serious about flight simming, stay away from Win 10.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

3 hours ago, gpbarth said:

First off, I tried to purchase MS Office, and found that it now is "leased" and you must auto-renew or lose most of its features.

This is still true if you try to buy MS Office 365 to use with Windows 7. Older versions of Office will install without problems in Windows 10 (I'm using Office 2013).

3 hours ago, gpbarth said:

Even their security software tries to keep other AV software from working.

When the Windows 10 1803 update arrived I decided to up uninstall Bitdefender just before the update and reinstall the latest version afterwards. I had no problems - Windows automatically defaulted to Bitdefender. I also use Malwarebytes which, again, has no problems running in Windows 10. Perhaps it depends on which AV app you use.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 hours ago, gpbarth said:

I have found that MS now controls my machines. First off, I tried to purchase MS Office, and found that it now is "leased" and you must auto-renew or lose most of its features. I also found that updates are now mandatory, and your only choice is deciding when they will be installed. As a result, during a recent update, MS decided that Home Groups would no longer exist. As a result, I lost all networking between my two desktops and my wife's laptop. It's taken me hours to re-establish this network.

Especially if you use a MS Account to Sign in....😟.(I don't). So we can't avoid them. What we have to do is to keep only the software we really need and use. And above all we must frequently take backups of our systems. 

And remember...... MS is the ultimate Administrator.

Regards.

So I went to DX10 with Steve's Fixer and I saw absolutely no v-sync ripping and tearing! It was a huge relief for me!

However, the switch came with some bad fps and AA jags, (which is still annoying) but way better than bad the v-sync I was experiencing with DX9. I am still in the first stages of tweaking DX10 and I see hope with this one! I will get it right soon. To my liking anyways!

Thanks for the feedback everyone and don't be afraid to express your feelings towards the guilty (MS, you know what you did). It will be great to see more people comment what they are going through, (sad to say) and hope the message is sent! 

It may seem like I am ranting on and on, complaining about this issue (which I am guilty of) and am sorry if it is annoying. It is great to hear solutions! You all rock!

Thanks,

Braden

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vortex681 said:

This is still true if you try to buy MS Office 365 to use with Windows 7. Older versions of Office will install without problems in Windows 10 (I'm using Office 2013).

When the Windows 10 1803 update arrived I decided to up uninstall Bitdefender just before the update and reinstall the latest version afterwards. I had no problems - Windows automatically defaulted to Bitdefender. I also use Malwarebytes which, again, has no problems running in Windows 10. Perhaps it depends on which AV app you use.

I think that makes a lot of sense. I also use Malwarebytes and Defender. I will ask my daughter in law if she thinks that might be the cause or at least a contributor to some of the problems...

On 6/20/2018 at 8:02 AM, kiwiflyer45 said:

I think that makes a lot of sense. I also use Malwarebytes and Defender. I will ask my daughter in law if she thinks that might be the cause or at least a contributor to some of the problems...

Windows Defender is my AV and had no problems with it. There are definition updates about every 2-3 hrs or so, which is okay to me. I do a manual check often through Windows Update at startup or before restarting after an install or uninstall. It instantly finds malware and has saved my word not allowed a few times.

Captain Sim and Milviz Config. Managers are most often detected by anti-virus as trojans, even though they are 100% safe (I buy my add-ons so I know I am safe there!). Exclusions can be added for safe, detected programs.

Anyways, still trying to get a good balance between fps and quality for DX10. I am almost certain that a complete reinstall of my whole CPU is going to take effect soon, but a few more tries before that for me!

Braden 

If you feel you have to reinstall Windows use the MediaCreationTool from Microsoft site. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. You can use a USB Mem Stick for installation. It will install the latest version of windows.

Regards.

I had the same problem also. Windows had an big update and it messed up my sounds and FSX.

Best option that you can do is an clean install of FSX, remove everything that you have for FSX, even the hidden files of FSX. Then take your time to install each bit by bit. Afte some hours of downloading and installing the all addons, orbx and whatnot, I got it working perfect with good FPS  🙂

Well after ALOT of tweaking, starting/restarting FSX, etc.... I have setup FSX to the best I can get it for now! Yay!

How???

-DirectX 10!

-nVidia Inspector!

-Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer v3.2!

WAY better than DX9, but.... FPS not as high.

No v-sync problems at all!

My KSEA PMDG 737NGX VC FPS was around 15 fps low and 33 fps max. Good enough for me until P3D v4!!!! Even though the performance isn't as well as it was before, I have stopped my tweaking for now and gonna start flying!!!

I will keep you all up-to-date if I find a superfix or way around the 1803 downgrade. But for now, I want to fly.  : D

Later!

Braden

On 27 June 2018 at 10:49 PM, bbogdansk said:

-nVidia Inspector

It sounds as though you're running NVIDIA Inspector whilst running FSX. Just to avoid any confusion (sorry if you already know this), NI is just used to select the settings for your GPU and doesn't need to run after you've done so - think of it as an extended NVIDIA Control Panel.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 6/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, vortex681 said:

It sounds as though you're running NVIDIA Inspector whilst running FSX. Just to avoid any confusion (sorry if you already know this), NI is just used to select the settings for your GPU and doesn't need to run after you've done so - think of it as an extended NVIDIA Control Panel.

Got it

Thanks!

Braden

Hi Braden, how was your flight? (Performance Wise)? Regards.

Flew the Aerosoft Twin Otter from CYVR to CYQQ (Vancouver-Comox, BC) with no tearing, consistent performance throughout, ~28-40 FPS (set to unlimited).

All-in-all it was amazing!

My 2nd flight was in the A2A C182 from CYXX to CYVR (Abbotsford-Vancouver, BC) with better results. Quality + performance = very nice! Even though my CPU was running warmer than DX9, it was undeniably better than the latter. Truely: ~29-65 FPS (set to unlimited)!!!! Nice!

My initial thought of DX10 was that it wouldn't perform as well as DX9 and blocky textures would appear everywhere. But that was not the case at all! Using the DX10 Fixer with everything I have, it makes a big hit towards rating it as A+. I am satisfied.

Yeah... performance, stability and quality were amazingly better than what I was getting with DX9. Anti-aliasing looked to be an issue, the FSX aircraft preview windows look terrible (anti-aliasing wise), but that was not the case in-game. Again, A+.

Braden