Sign in to follow this  
Markito

Balanced Fuel Tanks - by default

Hello Captains,

I would like to know how one can obtain by default balanced fuel tanks. I went through the Settings in the FMC but couldn't figure it out. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco Furtado

42 minutes ago, Markito said:

I would like to know how one can obtain by default balanced fuel tanks. I went through the Settings in the FMC but couldn't figure it out. 

Not sure what you're asking for here.

If you set a fuel level in the FUEL menu, the aircraft's fuel will be balanced according to how they should be. If this doesn't make sense to you, then you should probably have a look at the Intro Manual, and the Tutorial.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Kyle,

What I mean is to have a balanced amount of fuel distributed on the 4 main tanks (by default). That does not happen even when I set a fuel level. The problem is that I could not understand neither in the Intro Manual nor in the Tutorial Manual what I have to do to get my fuel main tanks 1 + 4 with the approximately same quantity as in 2 + 3. Is there an option for that on the FMC page (aircraft settings) and if so, which option is that?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco Furtado

Marco, the outer fuel tanks have a lower fuel load. The 747 has a wingspan of 64 meters. if you put all that fuel into the outer wing tanks the leverage and stress on the fuselage would be too much. 

Turn on the crossfeed valves on the fuel panel on the overhead so the fuel is used from the inner wing tanks first until the fuel level is equal, then turn it off so each tank feeds one engine.

16977335_183054135.jpg?1527458094

Edited by Ephedrin

Thanks, Marc... I didn't think of that. Then let me put it this way: is there an automatic way for the aircraft to manage the crossfeed valves to be turned on and off until the fuel level of the main tanks is equal and the four fuel tanks feed each corresponding engine? Or do I have to monitor that until that point is reached?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Marcp

Marco Furtado

There is an option that automatically selects tank to engine... see

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, Markito said:

Hello Captains,

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Marco

No matter what fuel figure you enter into the QOTS FMC Fuel Page it will always be 'balanced' across the aircraft exactly as it should be in real life for that particualr fuel load. 

However, I wonder if you originally wanted to know how to start with the same amount of fuel in each of the four main wing tanks?  If you select a total fuel load on the FMC Fuel Page of approx 54,000Kgs - and anything less -  you will end up with the fuel balanced across all four main wing tanks (tanks 1 & 4 hold 13,600Kgs each; so 13.6 x 4 = 54,400Kgs). 

As Dan said, you should read the tutorial if you want to understand how the fuel system works.

Bertie G