Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

Boxed version of FSX won't install

New machine and when I try to install FSX boxed Deluxe edition, the install stops in the setup when it says "removing old files" I have removed all the files that I know to exist but it will stop at that point of the install.

I use a USB CDROM to install the app.

Any ideas?

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

But, the question is......is it really stopped?  I have heard that when this happens it's best to just let it go and see if the install will continue.  Have you tried walking away for a while to see if it will continue on?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

55 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

New machine and when I try to install FSX boxed Deluxe edition, the install stops in the setup when it says "removing old files" I have removed all the files that I know to exist but it will stop at that point of the install.

I use a USB CDROM to install the app.

Any ideas?

Try this, download http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html Install it, run it, select FSX only from the list and click on "Remove". Like i wrote in another topic recently - Be careful with this tool, not to select anything else. Microsoft removed it from official support page, becouse you can easily run into issues if you accidentally select something else, which is a part of OS for example. But it is the only tool i know that removes every trace of FSX from system. And only tool which helped me to reinstall my boxed FSX every time, without problems

30 minutes ago, charliearon said:

But, the question is......is it really stopped?  I have heard that when this happens it's best to just let it go and see if the install will continue.  Have you tried walking away for a while to see if it will continue on?

Yes, I did for about a half hour.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

12 minutes ago, lodestar said:

Try this, download http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html Install it, run it, select FSX only from the list and click on "Remove". Like i wrote in another topic recently - Be careful with this tool, not to select anything else. Microsoft removed it from official support page, becouse you can easily run into issues if you accidentally select something else, which is a part of OS for example. But it is the only tool i know that removes every trace of FSX from system. And only tool which helped me to reinstall my boxed FSX every time, without problems

Thanks for that link. I will give it a try.

1 hour ago, Vineguy said:

Thanks for that link. I will give it a try.

Please don't.  I went through this and spent a couple of days trying to reinstall FSX and then wrote the following:

Removing Application -  You may see this on your screen at the beginning of the installation.  It may appear to have stopped the installation to remove your application (even though you completely uninstalled FSX as directed in uninstall guides or you reset Windows which removed FSX from the registry).  Based on a Google search, this happens with many applications and not just FSX installations.  It will remain like this for five minutes or even longer (think I had to wait over 10 minutes).  You may think the installation is stuck or has stopped but it has not.  In my case, the application was installing in the background and eventually showed the progress of the installation and then almost immediately asked me to insert Disk 2.  So, patience is required.  Do not despair, throw objects at your monitor, or kick your computer!  I believe this is a Windows 8/Windows 10 issue.  If you do not see removing application, consider yourself very lucky!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Please don't.  I went through this and spent a couple of days trying to reinstall FSX and then wrote the following:

Removing Application -  You may see this on your screen at the beginning of the installation.  It may appear to have stopped the installation to remove your application (even though you completely uninstalled FSX as directed in uninstall guides or you reset Windows which removed FSX from the registry).  Based on a Google search, this happens with many applications and not just FSX installations.  It will remain like this for five minutes or even longer (think I had to wait over 10 minutes).  You may think the installation is stuck or has stopped but it has not.  In my case, the application was installing in the background and eventually showed the progress of the installation and then almost immediately asked me to insert Disk 2.  So, patience is required.  Do not despair, throw objects at your monitor, or kick your computer!  I believe this is a Windows 8/Windows 10 issue.  If you do not see removing application, consider yourself very lucky!

Thanks Jim. I did wait for about a half hour and it did install. Now the problem is I can't register it. I am going to give up and go back to SE and P3D4.2.

Thanks again.

Bob G.

Before dumping FSX, the following appears to be the only fix with a fairly high success rate for Activation issues:

Follow these steps (but take care when changing Registry values - back it up if you're unsure).  You can copy the Registry files from within it and going to File > Export.

1. Close FSX and run Registry Editor (press Windows key + R and type   regedit    and     Ok).

2. Expand the following registry key:            

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

The letters in this key (e.g. 4d36e967....) could also be in caps (e.g. 4D36E967....)     

3. After you find the folder, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.
4. Change the value from 0 , (any other value there), to   PartMgr  (note, this is case sensitive). 

5. Close Registry Editor and reboot Computer.
6. Launch FSX and check whether the Activation box comes up.

Chris

10 hours ago, Vineguy said:

Thanks Jim. I did wait for about a half hour and it did install. Now the problem is I can't register it. I am going to give up and go back to SE and P3D4.2.

Thanks again.

Bob G.

Appears Chris has beaten me to this "fix".

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

56 minutes ago, Angels40 said:

Before dumping FSX, the following appears to be the only fix with a fairly high success rate for Activation issues:

Follow these steps (but take care when changing Registry values - back it up if you're unsure).  You can copy the Registry files from within it and going to File > Export.

1. Close FSX and run Registry Editor (press Windows key + R and type   regedit    and     Ok).

2. Expand the following registry key:            

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

The letters in this key (e.g. 4d36e967....) could also be in caps (e.g. 4D36E967....)     

3. After you find the folder, double-click Upperfilters on the right side.
4. Change the value from 0 , (any other value there), to   PartMgr  (note, this is case sensitive). 

5. Close Registry Editor and reboot Computer.
6. Launch FSX and check whether the Activation box comes up.

Chris

I found this doing a Google search and it didn't work.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob G.

22 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

I found this doing a Google search and it didn't work.

Thanks for your reply.

Bob G.

When you say it did not work, does that mean you changed the value from 0 to PartMgr and it did not work?  In my case I did not have to change this entry in the Registry until I ran the Microsoft Licensing Reset Tool:

1722 and 1603 errors:   After inserting Disk 2 and near the end of the installation, you may be confronted with a 1722 error first and after clicking “Okay” the 1603 error indicating there was a problem with the installation and FSX was not successfully installed.  It will then roll back the installation.

Licensing Reset Tool program per kb/928080 resulted in: "Cleaning up Token Store at: C;\Program Data\Microsoft\SLDL\Software Licensing  Failed to delete the token store  ERROR --HRESULT 800405".  Microsoft has removed this tool but I found it via a Google search.  The key is that you have to an elevated CMD (right click Command Prompt and select run as administrator).  Then you go to the directory where the reset tool was installed.

Because of all these errors and issues installing a simply program like FSX, I think Microsoft is trying to stop the installation of the FSX Boxed version.  I got it installed and it is running great with many addons but it took some time to make that happen.  I read somewhere on the Internet that Microsoft was changing some files in Windows 10 to make it impossible to install a MS program older than 10 years.  If you do not want to go through the effort as above, I would strongly recommend going to P3Dv4.2 but would wait until Version 5 is released or you will have to pay again for that new version.  Have no idea when it will be updated but they are following the Microsoft guide of updating every two years (i.e., FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and then FSX).  P3DV4 was released in May 2017.

Submit News to AVSIM

It will be interesting to see if the PartMgr fix works for the Deluxe version.  I was under the impression it was for Acceleration only.  Following this topic closely.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

"Because of all these errors and issues installing a simply program like FSX, I think Microsoft is trying to stop the installation of the FSX Boxed version.  I got it installed and it is running great with many addons but it took some time to make that happen.  I read somewhere on the Internet that Microsoft was changing some files in Windows 10 to make it impossible to install a MS program older than 10 years."

You're right, Jim.  We're probably going to run into more problems installing FSX into later MS Operating Systems.   Our FS9 brethren already know about this, as FS9 uses Safe Disk DRM and those having problems launching their Sim (via Disk 4) because of DRM blocking in Win10, have had to use a No CD fix.  

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-play-pc-games-that-require-safedisc-or-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/

FSX users may well be going down a similar path....so the big switch is inevitable. 

50 minutes ago, charliearon said:

It will be interesting to see if the PartMgr fix works for the Deluxe version.  I was under the impression it was for Acceleration only.  Following this topic closely.

Charlie, PartMgr does work for both Deluxe and Acceleration, but from my observances at the Microsoft Community Site, it has been more successful on the Deluxe version than on Acceleration.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliearon said:

May be the reason why it did not work for me while installing the Deluxe version.  After I got FSX installed, I had no problems with Acceleration.

Submit News to AVSIM

Since nobody else brought this up...

The FSX Steam version (FSX:SE) is an updated version of FSX Acceleration and is the most stable of all the FSX versions. More than that, the performance is better than the disk versions, as DTG was able to correct things like Autogen processing stream being sent twice, once to one processing thread and again to another for no reason (which slowed things down and affecting the frame rates).

FSX:SE can often be purchased for about $5.00, and the installation process is extremely easy.

My recommendation would be to ditch the disk version, and go with FSX:SE.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.