Sign in to follow this  
Vineguy

Boxed version of FSX won't install

Thanks for all the replies. I do have FSX-SE, just don't like the way it has to update on startup etc. I also have had P3DV4.2 since it came out. I used to have all three that I could use when beta testing for a certain company.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

27 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

Thanks for all the replies. I do have FSX-SE, just don't like the way it has to update on startup etc. I also have had P3DV4.2 since it came out. I used to have all three that I could use when beta testing for a certain company.

Bob G.

Bob,

I was doing the same thing (FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4, but given how the development has shifted for all the companies I work it, I'm finally down to P3Dv4 only.  Thank goodness!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have the FSX (boxed) and indicated above it is running great but haven't used it for a couple of weeks or at least since the latest Windows 10 update.  Just tried to open it and got an immediate error HRESULT 800405 indicating there is a problem with product activation.  It then asks if I want more information and I click yes, and the error goes away but FSX will not start up.  Looks like I have to do the licensing reset again per KB928080.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Update:  Ran the licensing tool and it said success and had to trust all the modules again in the dll.xml.  FSX started up okay and flew around Seattle and then quit and restarted FSX and got the error msg again but this time it started up normally after closing the error msg.  Strange (but true).

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 5/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, Jim Young said:

Because of all these errors and issues installing a simply program like FSX, I think Microsoft is trying to stop the installation of the FSX Boxed version.  I got it installed and it is running great with many addons but it took some time to make that happen.  I read somewhere on the Internet that Microsoft was changing some files in Windows 10 to make it impossible to install a MS program older than 10 years

What does Microsoft gain by making it impossible for us to install programs older than 10 years? Yes, I can understand that it forces us to buy a more recent version of the program but they have given up on flight simulation so there is nothing newer available from them! Quite unethical behaviour really!

Bill

This suddenly started happening to me with the error msg at startup and it happened after installing the April Windows 10 update.  But I did some searching on the Internet and members had registration errors suddenly way back in 2010 (but I could find no solutions) so this issue of mine may be different.  It is possible the update removed registration information but so far it appears to be happening only to me. 

My understanding is that they are going to eliminate old programs 10 years or longer and it will not be just Microsoft but Windows will not support any application or game older than 10 years old and not updated.  Now, FSX Boxed is older than 10 years so I am probably all wet with what I thought I read somewhere.  Maybe a future update of Windows 10 will start eliminating these old programs.  Believe I read it on Guru3D.com so will do some searching when I get time.

Submit News to AVSIM