Sign in to follow this  
forkedtail

FS9 problems with latest Windows 10 update

I haven't seen this mentioned in any simming forum yet, but the latest Windows 10 update has caused problems in fs9 use. The specific problem involves slower load times and delays between view changes and other screen rendering.  I notice that the "spinning circle" will be displayed during view changes and aircraft changes.  Also affected are the use of the functions in the top menu bar.  Choosing Settings will trigger the "spinning circle" for a few seconds while the selected function tries to load.  Overall the sim functions fine and frame rates are the same but game play is not as fluid because of the frequent delays. I have experience no game crashes because of the problem.  According to a knowledgeable friend, the gaming community is all over MS about this problem, so hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Edited by forkedtail

Sadly, it's not just FS9. The update has been a total disaster for my installation of FS9 AND FSX-SE. The problem of corrupted files in both sims is the same and in some cases the issues are identical. After a week of trying to solve the problems one by one, I've decided (and been advised by simmers with computer expertise that I don't have) that with such extensive problems, the only real solution FOR ME is a complete reinstall of Windows and all my programs. Even if Microsoft fix the issues created by the update, it's unlikely that it will be able to identify and fix all of the corrupted files it created. This has been one of the most negative experiences I've had in all my years of MS Flight sims - and that's over 20 years!

My advice to everyone who has not yet installed the update is

1. Don't install it!

2. If you do, make sure you have a full backup with a restore point well before the update installation takes place

3. Pray to whatever god, goddess or other deity you think might help you

4. Stock up on whatever beverage or substance makes you happy, as you may be needing something more than normal human patience

5. Join me on a march to Microsoft headquarters with pitchforks and flaming torches and a lust for blood (OK, just kidding on that one)

Seriously, you are not alone. There have been lots of reports from gamers as well as flight simmers that this update has been catastrophic for their system. Obviously, it's not everyone or there really would be a march on MS headquarters. But for those of us whose systems have been vulnerable, it's been really bad

Cheers

Ian

The sim is still usable for me but the pauses between functions is very aggravating.  I'll wait to see what transpires before I start over.  Developers are obviously not gamers!

My solution for all (potential) disasters as described here and in other posts, was to pull out my internet cable plug about six years ago and leave it at that. Most automatic (Win7) updates are in relation to closing security holes but if you don't have an internet connection, you don't need these extremely irritating updates anyway. My motto is therefore: If it aint broke, don't let MS update it, espacially not when you're happy with your FS9 or other sim.

Surfing, e-mailing, downloading of addons, etc, has been done via my dear wife's laptop ever since and that's where all virus and other scanners are allowed to do their jobs before transferring the downloads to my dedicated "stand alone" FS9 machine via a memory stick.

Hans

I have no problems at all with the update. 

What is occurring to your sims?

Was wondering if you could help. I noticed you posted a few months back that Kyle painted alot of Frontier airline aircraft. I'm running fs9 and wondered if you knew how to convert his files? I've looked everywhere and so far nothing.

Ryan

What i don't understand is, how can some people have no issues and other people have issues running Windows 10 and FS9.

Do people tweak W10 to their own setting or is it other software. I guess some people would have had issues with XP also. I just don't understand that part.

nebojsa

The update we are talking about, I guess, is the large 1803 spring update.

Here FS9 runs just as fine as it did before the update. It is fast and springy. No lags or spinning circles. In fact no problems at all.

However I do have issues with the update not flight sim related. I had to reinstall the anti virus software, and now I have to manually enable the software firewall on each boot. And sometimes I cannot access my NAS from Windows and need to reboot windows to make it accessible. Very annoying.

Henning

I received this suggestion from a friend regarding the delays in fs9 operation, also known as "the spinning circle":  The April Windows update contains a feature known as "focus assist".  Go into the settings and select to turn off this feature.  Doing this on his system, and mine, corrected the delays and now fs9 is running as before the update.  It is probably a good idea to restart your computer after making this change.

The more I read this thread the more I think - Windows 10, NEVER!  It seems that that OS is a bit like Russian Roulette and life has enough problems as it is!!

David

16 hours ago, vector said:

The more I read this thread the more I think - Windows 10, NEVER!  It seems that that OS is a bit like Russian Roulette and life has enough problems as it is!!

David

There will be a point everything will stop working on Win 10. It's just a matter of when. Win 10 will become Win 11, 12 ,13 on and on. If you run Win 10 you are doing so gambling the future OS's will also run the old flight sims. For old software Win 7 is the best bet. Win 7 won't evolve into other OS's, it'll always be Win 7.

Mark Daniels

My understanding is that Windows 10 will be the last major OS and that updates will alter it from what it currently is. The bottom line is that fs9 may be doomed, but mine is working great right now.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, forkedtail said:

My understanding is that Windows 10 will be the last major OS and that updates will alter it from what it currently is. The bottom line is that fs9 may be doomed, but mine is working great right now.

Yes, as I mentioned in my last post, it will evolve and once you are on the bandwagon, you will have to go along for the ride. You can see why MS gave it away for free and the strategy behind it if you think about it. It would be far more cost effective to have all Windows users on one system rather than spread over several as has been the case in the past. They dangle the carrot of a free Win 10 to speed the process up of getting as many users over to one system as fast as possible.

As Win 10 evolves into future operating systems, everything old will stop working at some point unless it's updated for the changes the OS will go under. For old software, obviously software like MSFS it isn't going to be updated for the latest Windows so it'll just stop working. Win 10 is basically a time bomb, the very next Win 10 update could kill FS forever.

Mark Daniels