Sign in to follow this  
forkedtail

FS9 problems with latest Windows 10 update

There is a setting 'Run in Compatibility Mode' that works. (As does Run as Admin)

Doom & Gloom predictions without any basis is really for the tin foil brigade. 

With all due respect.. FS2004 was released at the end of July 2003, so we should be celebrating 15 years of joy next month. It's quite amazing that the program works as flawlessly the way it does, on software & hardware that was never even dreamed of, 15 years ago! 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

What does Run in Compatibility Mode do.

nebojsa

So, If you have just updated Windows 10 to the latest version, & FS2004 crashes or does not run, right click on the icon, select Properties, , select Compatibility, click XP mode, then click Run as Administrator (at the bottom).

FS2004 will then run perfectly.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

5 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Doom & Gloom predictions without any basis is really for the tin foil brigade.

There is total basis, it comes from Microsoft! Just like you can't run everything you ran on Win 95 on Win 8 for example so will happen with future OS's. Win 10 is all future OS's. It's Win 10 at the moment, maybe 10 and a half by now or even possibly 11 and will become Win 12, 13, 14 etc. They are simply not changing the name again, or at least for a while but they will certainly change the internals of the system via updates. You can't expect a game made for XP to run forever. Compatibility modes only do so much.

Don't think of it as just another OS, it's not. Win 10 is built to keep people moving forward if they want to or not. Companies are doing it everywhere just look at cell/mobile phone software as one example. Win 10 from day one has knocked out a bunch of old software and games that ran on all previous OS's. FS simply isn't part of the list...yet.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

Agree, BUT, you have to realise that eventually things to become obsolete.! 

Just as you add stuff to your sims to make it better, it is still FS2004 or FSX, Same with Windows 10. There has, as you know, been quite a few updates so far & it is still Windows 10.

As far as Windows 10 killing off games.. good bye to the good old DOS games. 

AS long as there is a Compatibility Mode... Long Live FS2004.. FSX & FSX:SE will probably die at the same time as well.

I am certainly not spending a small fortune to update my PC to run the latest & greatest, as smoothly as FS2004 runs, so, I'' be here until the bitter end.

I agree with you about cell phone, BUT... therey are a cheap comsumerable where everyone MUST have the latest. (mostly anyway).

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

17 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Agree, BUT, you have to realise that eventually things to become obsolete

No, I refuse to accept that! lol

I like my games and I can still run every game I have ever played in my life including console games dating back to Atari 40 years ago. You just have to not put yourself in a position for redundancy. As far as I can see, I should be able to continue to play all these games till I am no longer here to play them. FS9 certainly included! I refuse to ever lose FS9, love it!

Best of luck to the both of us and I hope we can both forever continue with this great flight sim!

Mark Daniels

I agree.

Have you had a look at Sim-Outhouse recently?

There just (today) has bee releases of a new Sunderland & a fire fighting Catalina!

I've ended up now with all Shessi's Catalina's & Sunderlands. It is really amazing how much support our 15 year old sim (next month) is still getting.

I prefer the older 'lows 'n slows', as I got bored with the usual point to point flying, & my simming got renewed when I discovered the late Garry Smith's (& Ed's) Ford Tri-Motor Project, & I somehow ended up as a beta tester for his unrelease Death Star project. & I ended up with a separate install just with all the scenery, planes & paints. Where else can you find circular & oval runways & also ramps?

I also have a separate install of Golden Wings, as well as yet another install that we use at our virtual club, so that we all have the same scenery & planes.

I'm using Howard's The Natural World as well. I'm a great supported of freeware developers, Milton, etc - far to many to mention, as they are the backbone of our beloved sim.

(I also have CFS2 on my laptop 🙂 &have started to play with FlightGear, but that's a story for another time.)

We have also built 2x simulators, an Avro Shackleton & an AeroMacci MB326, known as an Impala here in South Africa, & was used as a trainer. Using FS2004, as the FS2004 models are unique & also we are using the freeware Aeroworx scenery & mesh for South Africa. Everything just works, & when we get real pilots flying the sims, we see them 'bumping' in their seats anticipating touchdown. So, FS2004 rocks! & we do not need 'fancy' PC's nor tweaks to run smoothly.

Cheers,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Yeah, I always see your posts and support of freeware which is great! I'm really only around 6 years in to FS9 as I had a big over a decade break due to life taking over. Still a FS9 newbie compared to most! haha

I'm exploring all the addons, I fly nothing but world tours atm to see all the airports. Once done with flying and exploring all the airports I want to learn a little about airport design. Then more flying, more exploring addons, heck, it'll take me over a decade at least to do everything I want to do. I intend to try the stuff you use as well, just no idea when I'll get to it.

Sim-Outhouse I get to every now and again. Been a Milton Shupe fan since I started with FS9 and especially his Commander 500. It was this aircraft along with the Dash 7 that really got me hooked on FS9.

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

Especially the 500 with the wooden dash.

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I believe the best way to keep enjoying old software in the future is Virtualization.

With the current and future multicore CPU's you can run older operating systems and applications in a virtual machine at very close to native speed.

I haven't tried it out yet because I'm still using an old 2500k 4-core CPU, but when I upgrade I will start looking into it more.

Edited by neumanix

Running Windows 10 with the latest updates was problematic for me until I got a tip about running fs9 in "Compatibility Mode".  Everything's fine now.  Perhaps it doesn't work for everyone, but I would guess there are many who haven't tried it.

100% Correct.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

15 hours ago, neumanix said:

I believe the best way to keep enjoying old software in the future is Virtualization.

With the current and future multicore CPU's you can run older operating systems and applications in a virtual machine at very close to native speed.

I haven't tried it out yet because I'm still using an old 2500k 4-core CPU, but when I upgrade I will start looking into it more.

I'm running one of these but the problem is they don't utilize the GPU very well at all. As long as you're running things that aren't graphic intensive they are useful.

Mark Daniels

Interesting information. I am still on XP , Waiting for the PC to die before updating. I must have picked up a virus because my PS runs somewhat OK.When i use the FS Global Real Weather my frame rate drop below 5 which makes real weather impossible .I cant tweak FS9 anymore,everything is at bare minimum now

How i hate the day when the PC will be updated,because of all the addons,tweaks that i have forgotten and did now write it down nowhere and so and so on.

nebojsa