Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

A Sad Farewell

To All My FS9 Friends, this is probably my last post on this forum. I recently installed the latest update to Windows 10. It has been an absolute disaster and led to massive problems with corrupted files in both FSX-SE and FS9. I've been advised that my only realistic solution is a complete reinstall of Windows and all of my programs.

Over the past couple of years I have drifted away from FS9 to FSX-SE and only very occasionally use FS9. To invest the hundreds of hours I would need to reinstall and tweak FS9 back to something like the level I had is just not worth it. I always knew there would come a time when I would finally say goodbye to the simulator that has occupied much of my time and given me so much pleasure for about 15 years. I actually had FS9 before it came on the market as I participated in the final beta tests before it was released. Without any doubt, it has been the greatest version of flight simulator ever released and I know for many of you, it still is. And you are right in believing it to be still a great platform that gives stable performance, great frame rates and has so many outstanding addons, some of which have never been equaled on FSX or any other platform. (Harrier Hides, DF 727, RAFG Bruggen, ACG Gutersloh, Chiang Mai, RAS Spitfire XIV and many more).

And as well as so many great addons, the FS9 community has given me friends that although I have never met them in the real world, are people who have influenced me and enrichened my life and helped me to believe that there are still good people in our screwed up world today.

But it's time to grit my teeth, hit the delete button and move on. I plan to stick with FSX-SE as I've invested so much time and money in it, and in many ways it really is a worthy successor to FS9. To all of you who are sticking with the greatest of all sims, I wish you the very best. Happy flying my friends

Cheers

Ian

• Like 6

Give P3D a try. I did a new build with win 10 and dumped my whole FSX, though I retained my FSX SE for the PMDG stuff which was easier since it sat on a separate Drive. It was a huge step for me since my fsx was tweaked to the max. Sometimes just starting over is the way to go. Always start with fresh win 10 install and add everything and most things work without a hitch.  If your system needs upgrading this is the time to start from scratch. Good luck with everything. Its a big emotional thing when my sim falls apart.

• Like 1

:P Timothy Murphy

Sorry to see you leave our community.

Pity about your install of FS2004. I have 4 different versions, & apart from having to run in compatibility mode, as administrator, I did not have any problems after the latest Windows 1o update.

Good luck withy your venture with FSX:SE.

Cheers,

Robin 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hi

I felt the same after a motherboard failure-I think-resulted in a screwed up FSX,P3Dv 4 setup which was working well

I took the opportunity to upgrade computer and reinstall both FSX and P3Dv4 

However I only loaded the actual planes and scenery I use-there was lots of redundant stuff-planes I never flew and places I never went!

I did enjoy flying my favourites again as I went through the reinstall process

Unfortunately I am starting to accumulate again-there is always something new and interesting coming along

Maybe we need to get used to a complete clean out and reinstall every few years?

xxd09

Sorry to see you go.

I dread the day i might have to go from my reliable windows xp to something newer. FS9 has been a great sim for me. Some day i might have to make a decision also.

Nebojsa

I would actually dread to go back to a 16 year old operating system that has been unsupported for over 5 years now, and is obviously not optimised to any reasonably recent software.

But, as a dedicated PC ONLY for FS2004, & not on the internet, as neither Firefox, Chrome & obviously Windows internet Browser supports Windows XP, it does it's job.

Firefox has said...Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions.

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Ian, sad to read that but I can understand.

With a certain fear I await the day when my Win7 system isn't reliable anymore, and I'll have to choose my "next" sim. Probably I'll never be able again to build up such a sophisticated sim as my 150 GByte installation of FS9. And will I ever find a well working Tu-134 for one of the newer sims???

I wish you many satisfying flying experiences with the sim of your choice! Maybe you'll find time to look at a new video by Ed (Edetroit) or some of my screenshots from time to time; I'll continue to post some picture postcards from the FS9 world then and when over in the screenshots forum.

And last but not least thank you Ian for many advices regarding flying and simming you gave to me when I was new here at this place!

Best regards and wishes

Harald

• Like 1

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Farewell, wherever you virtually fly!

• Like 1

Good luck moving on.
This doesn't mean it's time to pack up FS9 for everyone else. I can't see anything currently available that will make me change to a different sim. Let's face it, none of them are really newer, just variations of the same platform.

Mark Daniels

Ian ....

"To invest the hundreds of hours I would need to reinstall and tweak FS9 back to something like the level I had ...."

I thought about this situation quite some time ago and so devised a backup and restore system which enables me to reinstall FS9 in about 8 hours - and I have just about everything you could imagine for the whole of Europe which has to be something like 30 countries.  A considerable part of my reinstallation is nothing more that copying and pasting whilst I go and make some coffee.  I have every tweak, adjustment and whatever documented for those areas of the sim which I cannot "auto" restore which makes reinstalling them a no brainer.

Sorry to hear about Windows 10 causing you so much grief but that is why I'll never run FS9 under that OS.  Yes, I know that Windows 7 support will run out in January 2020 but my dedicated PC for the sim doesn't have any personal data stored on it so I'll be quite happy to take any security risks for the very little time I access the Internet on it.

I'm at the wrong end of life to consider moving away from FS9 but if I wasn't then I'd wait until a completely new sim is written from the ground up.  That's got to come some day!!

David

Edited by vector

It is quite strange that many of us have such different experiences with FS2004 & Windows 10.

I'm using a new Acer i5 4GB RAM laptop, with 4 installs of FS2004 on it, & the only issue I have had is, after the recent update, I just had to run the sims in compatibility mode.

I'm finding that the sim actually runs smoother than before. My previous laptop, upgraded from Window 7 to 8.1 & then to 10 also ram the sims perfectly, until it died.

Regards,

Robin 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

As I said in another thread. I have no issues at all. Nothing has changed. 

About installing a new fs9 with everything I have tweaked. I also have a backup on an extarnal drive. It is not a fs9 install bit everything I own like airports, planes, trafficfiles, scenery files and so on. 

I have reinstalled my fs9 several times and it costs me a small day to get everything running again. 

Lol, sometimes a re-install can be quite cathartic. Often & have rediscovered planes that I had forgotten about, & its a good way to do a bit of housekeeping & clean-ups as well.

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I have a mirror backup of my whole hard drive containing FS9 and Windows Vista. I already transferred this once to a new hard drive and the whole setup worked just like it did on the old one, the PC didn't notice the difference. My install has been going for 10+ years now without a reinstall.

9 hours ago, sascha said:

My install has been going for 10+ years now without a reinstall.

That's surely got to be a world record!!

David

• Like 1