Sign in to follow this  
Dand76

Anyone know any good settings for performance

Hey guys 

wondering if anyone has suggestions on Fsx settings,nvidia or anything to increase FPS in fsx se. I have a intel i7 with 3.40 ghz and a nvidia gtx 970 i need to get real good fps

How long is a piece of string?

Obviously, lowering all your settings to the minimum is going to give you the highest possible frame rate. Of course this will come at a huge expense, in the sense that your sim won't look as good. It's impossible to answer your question with the info you've given. Even with more info it's still going to be very hard to answer your question. The best way to go is to just experiment. Lower all your settings to the minimum, and park your aircraft at an airport that's heavy on frame rates. 1 by 1 dial up your settings and see which ones are hurting your performance.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I would recommend the Avsim FSX Configuration Guide as an excellent place to start. 

From personal experience I know that it is easy to get preoccupied with FPS but if FSX is performing smoothly for the majority of the time I would advise that you stop monitoring it. Bear in mind that the human eye cannot perceive any difference in frame rates above about 25-30 FPS so generally frame rates from the mid 20s upwards will look smooth. There may however be occasions when even the most optimally configured setup can be overwhelmed by resource demands resulting in an FPS performance hit.

Bill

The AvSim Configuration Guide is your friend.  Read it, follow it.  The FPS counter might be good for testing, but otherwise, turn it off.  Worry less about FPS and more about smoothness.  Trust me when I say that 20 fps and perfectly smooth looks far better than 60 fps with stutters and pauses.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

As the others have eluded to, setting up FSX/P3D is really done on a system by system bases and requires trial and error to match it to your system specs.  You didn't actually identify your processor, but if possible I'd recommend getting it up to 4.0 GHz or better, but if you don't have a water cooler then I recommend using some temp monitoring software to alert you or even shut down your system if temps get too high.  There are several terrific freeware versions of this type of software available on the Internet. One you might like is called Real Temp.

For running FSX/P3D at or above 4.0GHz seems to be the sweet spot if you're running Payware Airliners and Payware/High Quality Freeware Airports (example of the latter is the SunSkyJet Philadelphia (KPHL) though there are certainly many others.  Your GTX970 shouldn't bottleneck with your processor at that speed.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 28 May 2018 at 3:18 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

Your GTX970 shouldn't bottleneck with your processor at that speed.

Depends on screen resolution. At 1920x1080 or less I'd agree with you. At QHD, it depends on settings, more so at 4k.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Depends on screen resolution. At 1920x1080 or less I'd agree with you. At QHD, it depends on settings, more so at 4k.

Very true!

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 28 May 2018 at 6:53 AM, UPS12 said:

Hey guys 

wondering if anyone has suggestions on Fsx settings,nvidia or anything to increase FPS in fsx se. I have a intel i7 with 3.40 ghz and a nvidia gtx 970 i need to get real good fps

SSDl_E.jpg

You're looking down the rabbit hole my son. Be careful.

You take the blue pill, you stay in FSX vanilla wonderland. A few stutters, a glitch here and there but all as it should be.

You take the red pill and I show you just how deep the rabbit hole goes and you can never come back.

Start here: https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

(Or if that's too scary take a look at Avsim's very own Optimise FSX here: 

Edited by Guest