Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

PRO-ATC after recent patches

Hi Bob-

I would contact Dave at P2ATC and request another demo. I'm sure that could be arranged.

I installed the demo yesterday and downloaded a bunch of voices (free 30 day demo) from harpo and they are excellent. I haven't done my first flight yet but will in the next few days. Pretty comprehensive program which is going to require some effort, but from the introductory demo, they've got some serious work put into this program.

Cheers,

Mark

14 minutes ago, newtie said:

Hi Bob-

I would contact Dave at P2ATC and request another demo. I'm sure that could be arranged.

I installed the demo yesterday and downloaded a bunch of voices (free 30 day demo) from harpo and they are excellent. I haven't done my first flight yet but will in the next few days. Pretty comprehensive program which is going to require some effort, but from the introductory demo, they've got some serious work put into this program.

Cheers,

Mark

Don't like the voice even the ones from harpo pretty unrealistic lol in an ATC environment....

André

Unrealistic? Why, because Boston Center is not referred to as just plain Center? The snippet voice pack apps are totally unrealistic and they can't keep up with new names for places and things. Not to mention that the ATC nomenclature is missing qualifiers like Boston. TTS voices are far more  realistic. If you want static and tinny sound Izotope makes a free add-on that does  that. The method has been described in both the P2ATC and VOXATC subforums.

6 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have used and bought just about every ATC program there is, and never felt like I needed to run a network to run them.

Well, it's something to do with your old PCs when you upgrade.;-)

I do actually need a network here, I have some any programs running. there are actually 7 running just for my 738 cockpit system, though 5 of these are small Z-boxes running various ProSim components, plus FS-FlightControl for my moving map display and other facilities.

Little things like clearing you to taxi across an active runway

Yes, I think Pilot2ATC has that too.

Flight planning isn't an issue, because I use Simbrief anyway, and with the new Simbrief downloader, it installs the FP into the aircraft I fly with one click. Then I can load it into Plan G for the moving map, and PF3. Simbrief also suggested Sids and Stars which is a plus, and it's free.

I use PFPX for planning, and of course it too suggests SIDs and STARs. but Pilot2ATC will pften override those. Really, and realistically (at least in Europe, and i only fly here), the ATC program should only be given the actual routing, with airways, leaving departure and arrival to ATC.  I've read that PF3 doesn't do that, or at least not without a lot of prep, which is a major turn off for me and why I abandoned Radar Contact after its plan for version 5, which would have done it, were shelved/discarded.

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If you want static and tinny sound Izotope makes a free add-on that does  that.

Isn't is easier to do that with a cheap headset or amp in your overhead?

Pilot2ATC has a sound device selector which can now even to changed by hotkey. i use the hotkey to swap between headset and overhead.

I tried the "Meatwater" versions of the Radar Contact voices once. Ugh!. Couldn't understand half of what was being said.

And I don't know what sort of radios folks think airliners use these days, or even little prop planes. In my experience in both (light aircraft for real, and back when one could get into the cockpit of an airliner in flight), the radio speech was always clear and distinct. Very little or no static and by no means "tinny".

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Well, it's something to do with your old PCs when you upgrade.;-)

I do actually need a network here, I have some any programs running. there are actually 7 running just for my 738 cockpit system, though 5 of these are small Z-boxes running various ProSim components, plus FS-FlightControl for my moving map display and other facilities.

Yes, I think Pilot2ATC has that too.

I use PFPX for planning, and of course it too suggests SIDs and STARs. but Pilot2ATC will pften override those. Really, and realistically (at least in Europe, and i only fly here), the ATC program should only be given the actual routing, with airways, leaving departure and arrival to ATC.  I've read that PF3 doesn't do that, or at least not without a lot of prep, which is a major turn off for me and why I abandoned Radar Contact after its plan for version 5, which would have done it, were shelved/discarded.

Pete

Wist PF3, I use the Sid and or Star which Simbrief, which looks at the current weather, suggests in the flight plan. From there I look at the airport charts for Sids and Stars, having a good idea what the active runways will be, since I have the weather, and that is the Sid and or Star I use in the FMC for the aircraft I am flying. Takes me about 5 minutes of looking at the charts to figure it out. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Pretty much the same procedure a pilot would use in real world flying. Tonight for instance, I flew into KOMA, had a star and  runway from PF3 ATIS, and about 50 miles from the airport the wind had shifted, runway had changed, and I saw that the same star and transistion worked for the new runway. Approach was simple and accurate, a great flight. Don't get any more  of those Pretzel approaches that I used to get in PATC either. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Unrealistic? Why, because Boston Center is not referred to as just plain Center? The snippet voice pack apps are totally unrealistic and they can't keep up with new names for places and things. Not to mention that the ATC nomenclature is missing qualifiers like Boston. TTS voices are far more  realistic. If you want static and tinny sound Izotope makes a free add-on that does  that. The method has been described in both the P2ATC and VOXATC subforums.

Well if you prefer to listen to a robotic synthetic voice(s) be my guest, I prefer a more natural way 😉

André

7 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

And I don't know what sort of radios folks think airliners use these days, or even little prop planes. In my experience in both (light aircraft for real, and back when one could get into the cockpit of an airliner in flight), the radio speech was always clear and distinct. Very little or no static and by no means "tinny".

Pete

Well I was recently upfront in an 747 airliner form AMS > SFO and SFO > AMS with a headset lol so my understanding is pretty clear 😉 Besides my rw ga stuff :blink:

As for ATC at this point offline I still prefer PRO-ATCX

Edited by awf

André

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wist PF3, I use the Sid and or Star which Simbrief, which looks at the current weather, suggests in the flight plan. From there I look at the airport charts for Sids and Stars ...The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Yes, all that is easy with PFPX, and TOPCAT to do the take off and landing computations. It is just that, in Europe, the procedures you might initially select can be changed by assorted things like traffic patterns and loading, and of course weather changes (in Europe the weather is far less predctable than in most other parts of the world). And quite often ATC will take you off the filed procedure in any case, and issue vectors. That happens more on the approach than departure though.

I just like it with the slight unpredictability this gives, and I don't enter the SID in the CDU until I get the Clearance, and the STAR when I get the approach, usually a bit before TOD. Very often these ARE the ones PFPX predicted so I am well aware of what I'm likely to be given, but it is easier to set it when confirmed in any case rather than have to change it.

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew into KOMA, had a star and  runway from PF3 ATIS, and about 50 miles from the airport the wind had shifted, runway had changed, and I saw that the same star and transistion worked for the new runway.

Yes, I realise that the airport procedures in the USA are often bot totally runway oriented. but they are in Europe. Almost all SIDs and STARS are for specific runways.

I think our different preferences are based on the differences between Europe and US practice.

2 hours ago, awf said:

As for ATC at this point offline I still prefer PRO-ATCX

Yes -- for a non-voice controlled ATC I like it too, and keep my installation up to date and fully configured so I can switch back to it if I tire of Pilot2ATC.

Pete

Is the latest update safe to update now? I know they had issues with the last one

Paul Wain

25 minutes ago, paulwain said:

Is the latest update safe to update now? I know they had issues with the last one

If you have P3D version 3, there are still problems. Should work OK for P3D version 4. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I currently use P3dv4 and use the built-in ATC which is fine for guiding me through the taxi and IFR flights. But there is one thing I would like to improve and that is to have a little regional variability in voices. Right now the whole world sounds exactly the same - it would be nice to add a couple of different accents.

But I'm not a hard a hard core simmer and I don't want to complicate things. I'm looking for a product that just replaces the built-in ATC in P3Dv4 and isn't too much more complicated to use. Would Pro-ATC fit the bill? Or is there another product that better suits?

7 minutes ago, MuskX said:

I currently use P3dv4 and use the built-in ATC which is fine for guiding me through the taxi and IFR flights. But there is one thing I would like to improve and that is to have a little regional variability in voices. Right now the whole world sounds exactly the same - it would be nice to add a couple of different accents.

But I'm not a hard a hard core simmer and I don't want to complicate things. I'm looking for a product that just replaces the built-in ATC in P3Dv4 and isn't too much more complicated to use. Would Pro-ATC fit the bill? Or is there another product that better suits?

If you want many accents, PF3 comes with 140 different voices, many with accents devoted to where in the world you are flying. 

On 6/8/2018 at 12:27 PM, Bobsk8 said:

If you have P3D version 3, there are still problems. Should work OK for P3D version 4. 

Hi Bob,

With regards to P3DV4 working OK, which version of ProATC/X are you referring to? There are so many discussions referring to many different versions, so I've kind of lost track which version is current & how it's running under V4.

Thanks,

Mike