Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

To 1080 Ti or not ??

..running P11 with Asus 980 Ti, well, I'm happy campers when it comes to 2D, but with VR ,though, I get steady 45fps, quality is not something that makes you want to spend much time wearing those VR Headset     ... now, my question is: should I consider upgrade to the 1080 Ti which means substantial investment, or the enhancement doesn't justify the investment, & as some claim, the poor quality is due to the Headset limited capabilities, and thus better wait for the next generation of those Headsets ? 

Any comments will be highly appreciated

Cheers

Yair

I'm in the same boat.  EVGA finally has come down to MSRP, which still ticks me off because the product is over a year old.  I'm going to wait until the end of summer and hopefully Nvidia will have released their new cards by then.

Knowing my luck, I would purchase the 1080 Ti today and Nvidia would have their release in July.

2 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

I'm in the same boat.  EVGA finally has come down to MSRP, which still ticks me off because the product is over a year old.  I'm going to wait until the end of summer and hopefully Nvidia will have released their new cards by then.

Knowing my luck, I would purchase the 1080 Ti today and Nvidia would have their release in July.

... yeah. the price is a burden, and the add on value is questionable, & I need to find out if it's within the GPU or the Headset   

Image quality won't improve over your 980ti and any performance increase will be marginal at best.

19 minutes ago, skully said:

Image quality won't improve over your 980ti and any performance increase will be marginal at best.

....thought so ... tnx

so better wait for something like this Pimax 8K to come out

I`d wait a few more days since rumours say that the GTX1180 is going to be announced on June with a release date for July. I´m preparing to get a new PC, aiming to an  i7 8700k with one of these GTX1180 by the end of summer. I´m not going back  to a flat screen so it is just for VR.

Edited by chass32
  • Upvote 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

I would def go 1080ti.

You need every bit of firepower to run Flyinside with a custom 5K resolution

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

The more powerful your GPU, the better the FPS experience in VR. This may also allow you to use settings that make VR more enjoyable.

(Since many of our current sims tend to be CPU bound, you should also have the best CPU you can afford)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Some are going to say dont upgrade, doenst worth the money... others wait for the new GPUS there are rumors that the new ones are going to make wonders, they are going to play for you!

History is always the same... For Flight simulation the more power the better, CPU, GPU, whatever, and even so we are limited...

I have one 1080 ti coming from a 980ti and i dont regret one dime. Great card, if i could  i would make love with her!

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

quality of image depands on Pixel density in VR. 2.0 looks amazing but my system cant handle it fps crawl . That is why I am waiting for new card to be released . This is on the rift. Biggest other issue is CPU as allways in P3D . If in a CPU bound plane or scenary and can only achieve 20fps because of CPU . No card will make it work.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

..... as mentioned my concerns regarding the upgrade are with VR. I'm quite happy with my 2D performance & right now do not find any, good, reason to put and pay for the 1080ti. I will wait for price to stabilized on a level that make sense to invest.

However, and this is what made me think about upgrading and I after researching a bit I found out that the Weakest-Link is the headset, (1440x1400 Per eye) thus the cost/ effectiveness, mean the performance gain, is marginal & not really worth it. I'm running X-P11 in a VR mode at stable 44-45FPS & as much as I love the immersion, the quality is not something that I can or want leave with.

Does my assumptions / conclusions make any sens ???

Cheers