Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Intel's first 5 GHz CPU!

Intel is commemorating 40 years of its 8086 processor, the spiritual ancestor of the x86 machine architecture that rules modern computing, with a special edition socket LGA1151 processor, dubbed Core i7-8086K. The chip appears to feature a nominal clock speed of 4.00 GHz, with a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 5.00 GHz, making it the first mainstream desktop processor from Intel to hit the 5.00 GHz mark, out of the box. 

Rumour has it that the first Intel CPU to hit 5 GHz might soon be with us.  it might be available later this year. 

Bear in mind lads though, this is the max turbo frequency, so it will Turbo to 5 GHz on one core, and somewhat less on the other cores. That's how Turbo works. Don't assume it will be 5 GHz on all cores because it won't. Switch on MCE and it would be 5 GHz on all cores.

Good news is that it is obviously a cherry picked, binned, CPU, so will probably have more overclocking headroom than the 8700K  it's based on.

Anybody about to build a new rig, and doesn't mind waiting  a few months, might want to hold on a while. As long as the rumours are confirmed of course. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/intels-5ghz-toting-core-i7-8086k-anniversary-processor-listed-by-retailers

https://www.techpowerup.com/244673/intel-core-i7-8086k-listed-first-5-00-ghz-processor

Edited by martin-w

This speculation at the moment until someone gets there hands on one, no chip has a 5ghz TB users push past the stated TB at there own risk, which begs the question how high will this go.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Rumour yes for now. Based on online retailer listings. This has been speculated for some months now. The latest evidence gives it more credence. 

no chip has a 5ghz TB users push past the stated TB at there own risk

4.7 GHz for my 8700K.

The new chip if it arrives is based on the same architecture, so just a 300 MHz jump on one core, so perfectly feasible. Given how common 5 GHz Coffee Lake chips are, Intel speed binning them to 5 GHz for the anniversary chip seems reasonable.

which begs the question how high will this go.  

I bet some will be wondering if they'll solder them. Doubtful given how the Coffee Lake production line is set up for TIM, but you never know. I'm betting solder or delid, perhaps up to 5.3 to 5.4. But who knows. 

Edited by martin-w

Thanks for the heads-up, Martin,as I was looking to replace current rig. So, will wait.

Looks like it won't be soldered. As I suspected. So hang on to your delliding tools chaps.

OCUK here in the UK have apparently said it will be under 400 quid.

Pre order will be 8th June.

Edited by martin-w

Since the fps in P3D/FSX greatly depends on the performance(IPC*clocks with cache size problem) than any other factor, this will be great budget CPU to run P3D/FSX!

this will be great budget CPU

It wont be a "budget" CPU. It will be more expensive than the 8700K it's based on. 🙂

Intel just put out about a new CPU sporting 28 cores for next year.

Raymond Fry.

18 hours ago, rjfry said:

Intel just put out about a new CPU sporting 28 cores for next year.

What the hell. This is getting bonkers now. 🙂

Yes they did a demo of it running 28 cores 56 threads at 5ghz cinebench score 7356.  

Raymond Fry.

20 hours ago, rjfry said:

Yes they did a demo of it running 28 cores 56 threads at 5ghz cinebench score 7356.  

Yes but it was all BS. 🙂 It's just an old Zeon they have dragged up and are marketing it as a new CPU. And the 5 GHz is nonsense, that was done with a chiller running at minus 10C.

Intel must be really panicking to pull a trick like that.

More here...

Edited by martin-w

In case you haven't heard, the 8086K is now confirmed.

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GH

It will be limited edition with 50,000 units initially released.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/270723-intel-announces-limited-edition-core-i7-8086k-new-28-core-cpu

The new core isn’t just a top-end SKU, however — it’s a limited edition CPU, with just 50,000 parts planned at this point. Intel isn’t revealing all of the turbo frequencies, but we’ve seen speculation online that the chip will have a 4.6GHz all-core turbo frequency.

Speculated that all core Turbo will be 4.6 GHz and 5 GHz on one or two cores. 

Chance to win an 8086K...

https://game.intel.com/8086sweepstakes/gb/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt_epu4TE2wIV1ojVCh0QiA7AEAAYASAAEgLCrfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#?cid=sem[*TrackerID*]&intel_term=[*searchterm*]

Edited by martin-w

In case you don't know Intel are giving away 8,086 CPUs but you need to enter today at intel, you may be lucky and get one for free I entered an hour ago.

Raymond Fry.

Just bought the i7 8086K at $429 at Best Buy.  Pick up next Thurs.  Have a Z370 Board incoming too on Sunday.  Will keep all my other components (see specs) and transfer over to Z370 and then sell the 'old' i7 and Z270 MB.  Not looking forward to reinstalling everything but part of the process of ungrading. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10