Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Intel's first 5 GHz CPU!

no need to reinstall...   I've  just completed a   CPU / MB   install and went like clockwork.   Had to re authenticate  WIN10 of course...

Hope it all goes well for you,

aero

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

13 hours ago, aerostar said:

no need to reinstall...   I've  just completed a   CPU / MB   install and went like clockwork.   Had to re authenticate  WIN10 of course...

Hope it all goes well for you,

aero

Thanks for that information!  I hope it is that easy for me too!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

23 hours ago, rjfry said:

In case you don't know Intel are giving away 8,086 CPUs but you need to enter today at intel, you may be lucky and get one for free I entered an hour ago.

Yep, I posted the link for the giveaway.

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Just bought the i7 8086K at $429 at Best Buy.  Pick up next Thurs.  Have a Z370 Board incoming too on Sunday.  Will keep all my other components (see specs) and transfer over to Z370 and then sell the 'old' i7 and Z270 MB.  Not looking forward to reinstalling everything but part of the process of ungrading. 

Keep us posted re performance Jim. Will be interesting to see how Turbo is working on the new CPU. In regard to how many cores reach max turbo 5 GHz and what frequency the others clock to, with MCE off of course. Be interesting to see how well it overclocks too, temps etc.

40 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Thanks for that information!  I hope it is that easy for me too!

LOL  I just uninstalled Prepared V4, deactivated my PMDG stuff and uninstalled the mobo drivers on my Haswell and then put the drives into my new Coffee build .... I was up and running..er flying, within a 1/2 hour.

note:This was with Win7

41 minutes ago, FunknNasty said:

LOL  I just uninstalled Prepared V4, deactivated my PMDG stuff and uninstalled the mobo drivers on my Haswell and then put the drives into my new Coffee build .... I was up and running..er flying, within a 1/2 hour.

note:This was with Win7

Not understanding.  Aerostar just installed the CPU/MB, restarted the system, activated Windows 10 again, and was up and running.  No uninstall of P3D or anything else.

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

In regard to how many cores reach max turbo 5 GHz and what frequency the others clock to, with MCE off of course.

With a system running at 5GHz, I am not all that concerned with the frequency of all of the cores (unless of course Prepar3D and addon developers programmed their activities for specific cores).  The max turbo freq is going to be 5GHz and that's going to be nice.  I'm just hoping it will be compatible with Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26103/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0.  Right now it is not shown as compatible.  This is the tech that Rob (Ainscough) showed off where he would fly low over cities and everything would render immediately, even in an airliner. No blurries and nothing to catch up with the rendering.  Boom!  It rendered and was there! That's all I care about.  With my i7 7700K, it uses the Turbo Boost Max Tech 2.0 and it does a good job too but I want the latest and greatest.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Not understanding.  Aerostar just installed the CPU/MB, restarted the system, activated Windows 10 again, and was up and running.  No uninstall of P3D or anything else.

yeah, I could've just straight out installed the Haswell drives into the Coffee Lake but I didn't want to risk activation issues with P3d and the PMDG. Anyway, my point is Prepared V4 is not the reinstall hassle that earlier versions were. Upgrading hardware on sim rigs is not a big deal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

With a system running at 5GHz, I am not all that concerned with the frequency of all of the cores (unless of course Prepar3D and addon developers programmed their activities for specific cores). 

I don't sim anymore Jim, so I wasn't referring to the sim. I'm interested in how Turbo behaves "with MCE off" purely out of curiosity, from a hardware enthusiasts perspective. Intel these days are very tight lipped about frequencies of cores not running at max Turbo.

Regarding frequency of the cores that aren't running at max turbo, it's not really relevant to most enthusiasts, because we will be either manually overclocking  or have MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) on. With MCE on all cores will run at max turbo. 

If not running with MCE on, or manually overclocking, just running at stock, then non turbo core frequency is of interest. Because regardless to whether P3D emphasises one core more than the others, or all cores equally, we are disadvantaged if they are running at a lower frequency than max turbo.

I would switch on MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) so that all cores run at max Turbo, 5 GHz in this case. Adequate cooling required of course.

my i7 7700K, it uses the Turbo Boost Max Tech 2.0 and it does a good job too but I want the latest and greatest.

It's Turbo Boost 2.0 for Coffee Lake, and of course the 8086K is a binned Coffee lake 8700K, so Turbo Boost 2.0.

Turbo Boost 2.0 or 3.0 is irrelevant though to be honest, if  you are manually overclocking or running with MCE on. With MCE on  it doesn't matter if it's Turbo Boost 2.0 or 3.0. All cores will run at max turbo.

It's in the data sheet re Turbo Boost 2.0.

https://ark.intel.com/products/148263/Intel-Core-i7-8086K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-5_00-GHz

Edited by martin-w

@martin-w

Thanks for the info.  Just completed the MB and CPU swap.  Now have i7 8086 and the ASUS Maximus X MB installed.  When I started up, I was not asked to reactivate Windows 10 but Microsoft Office/Outlook asked for me to verify my account.

Swapping out the MB and CPU took longer than expected (picked up the CPU yesterday).  I had to remove the cooler and about everything in the case to replace the MB.  Then cleaned it up and put everything back together and making sure all of the connections were made for the HDD/SSD's.  I have a mid-tower case from CoolMaster and things were tight. 

I've got to take a break but hope to get it properly turbo boosted and then do some benchmark testing.  Read some reviews and many "experts" think the CPU is the same as the i7 8700K and I was stupid to get this particular CPU.  They said all cores could not be turbo boosted to 5.0 but then had to eat their words when many other "experts" stated they had successfully gotten all cores to 5.0GHz.  Again, just one at 5.0 is fine with me.  When I read reviews out there, it seems many of the reviewers have major issues with Intel and try to do everything they can to make the Corporation look stupid and foolish in everything they do.  Those I tend to disregard as "experts".

Thanks again for the info!  BTW, Rob Ainscough likes the new CPU a lot.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

13 hours ago, Jim Young said:

@martin-w

Thanks for the info.  Just completed the MB and CPU swap.  Now have i7 8086 and the ASUS Maximus X MB installed.  When I started up, I was not asked to reactivate Windows 10 but Microsoft Office/Outlook asked for me to verify my account.

Swapping out the MB and CPU took longer than expected (picked up the CPU yesterday).  I had to remove the cooler and about everything in the case to replace the MB.  Then cleaned it up and put everything back together and making sure all of the connections were made for the HDD/SSD's.  I have a mid-tower case from CoolMaster and things were tight. 

I've got to take a break but hope to get it properly turbo boosted and then do some benchmark testing.  Read some reviews and many "experts" think the CPU is the same as the i7 8700K and I was stupid to get this particular CPU.  They said all cores could not be turbo boosted to 5.0 but then had to eat their words when many other "experts" stated they had successfully gotten all cores to 5.0GHz.  Again, just one at 5.0 is fine with me.  When I read reviews out there, it seems many of the reviewers have major issues with Intel and try to do everything they can to make the Corporation look stupid and foolish in everything they do.  Those I tend to disregard as "experts".

Thanks again for the info!  BTW, Rob Ainscough likes the new CPU a lot.

Best regards,

Jim

I have the Maximus X too, the Maximus X Code. Great motherboard. 🙂

I've got to take a break but hope to get it properly turbo boosted and then do some benchmark testing.

Turbo boost functions with stock settings. No need to do anything but you would only see 5 Ghz in an aplication that stresses ONE core. To set the max turbo frequency on all cores just make sure Asus MCE (Multi Core Enhancement) is on. Don't forget XMP.

They said all cores could not be turbo boosted to 5.0

Was that AnandTech article? 

The 8086K's ratios for Turbo are 

Core 1 = 5.0 (But only if the other cores aren't involved)

Core 2 = 4.6

Core 3 = 4.5

Core 4 = 4.4 

Core 5 = 4.4

Core 6 = 4.3

Turbo isn't designed to clock all cores to the max Turbo frequency. It's only meant to clock one core to max Turbo when the others aren't involved. What Anandtech said was that they couldn't achieve the "single" core to 5 GHz, simply because a scenario where other cores weren't involved, rarely happens. They were saying that it's only in an application that's stressing just one core that you would see 5 GHz. 

However... the above doesn't apply to you Jim, because no doubt you will be switching on Asus MCE. With Asus MCE on, all cores will clock to 5 GHz. Either that or you will be manually overclocking. And when AmandTech manually overclocked they achieved above 5 GHz on all cores. 

In fact AnandTech went on to say...

In our testing, and corroborated by extreme overclocker Alva Jonathan, the Core i7-8086K seems to be a nice part if you want all six cores running at 5.0 GHz. Our chip ran a full flat 5.0 GHz by only adjusting the CPU multiplier, and the motherboard sorting out the rest, and with a little care we could get 5.1 GHz under our Blender-stable test.

High performance is great, and a Core i7-8086K at 5.0 GHz gets a nice level of performance. It is possible to get a nice Core i7-8700K for overclocking within the silicon lottery, but these processors are binned slightly better, so the chances of a full flat 5.0 GHz are much higher. If removing that risk is worth another $65+, then the Core i7-8086K should be on that list.

The 8086K isn't necessary an extreme golden chip. It's a somewhat higher binned CPU, that's all. Some of the 8700K's that this chip is based on have achieved 5. 3 GHz, and most achieve 5 GHz. So I think we can still expect variation in regard to max overclock from the 8086K. In fact Silicone lottery and OCUK, here in the UK will be binning the 8086K and charging a premium.

I have no doubt, that with adequate cooling, and MCE switched on, that you will hit 5 GHz easily on all cores Jim. 

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. 🙂

Edited by martin-w

4 hours ago, westman said:

Here is a nice review , Ian is one of the most respected reviewers ,

Jim, good luck with your new System, very solid one.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12945/the-intel-core-i7-8086k-review

Thanks.  That was the first review I looked at on the day of release but could not get to the other pages of the review or the Conclusion and gave up.  But I do have respect for information coming from AnandTech.

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim,

Any updates on actual CPU performance with p3D?

Thanks

Dmitriy

@Martin W

I follow your hardware-related posts quite keenly.

Available at Scan for £379. In your opinion, is it worth getting?

Look forward to your thoughts.

16 hours ago, vc10man said:

@Martin W

I follow your hardware-related posts quite keenly.

Available at Scan for £379. In your opinion, is it worth getting?

Look forward to your thoughts.

If you're in the market for a new CPU, and  considering an 8700K, then it would seem to make sense to go for the new chip, as it appears that it's somewhat better binned. It would seem that the new chip would give you  better odds of hitting 5 GHz on all cores at decent voltage.

Whereas my 8700K, for example, hits 5 GHz, but at very high voltage. Less chance of that less than desirable scenario with the new chip it looks like.  

I'd still expect the silicon lottery to apply to the new chip though. It's not as if it's a golden chip. Most will hit 5 GHz on all cores at a decent voltage and some lucky people higher. Both OCUK and Silicon lottery are binning and delidding the new chips and charging a premium. 

Also depends on budget. If you're short of cash it wouldn't make sense to make compromises elsewhere just to get a CPU with slightly better odds in the silicon lottery. 

Also depends what you'd be upgrading from. 7700K, 8700K... no point unless you're flush with cash and get a kick out of new gear. 

Edited by martin-w