Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Intel's first 5 GHz CPU!

@Martin-W

Great reply. Just what I needed reassurance on as I am upgrading from an i5-4670k bought in 2013 in Australia, which has served me well despite being oc/d. Will get the Asus motherboard at a later date when funds are available, and the 1080Ti drops in price, plus RAM, etc, etc

Waiting to hear form Scan as a follow-up posting for your valued opinion.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by vc10man

Your right Martin, 8086k is binned  the difference in price not big and if it for the Sim yes.

the 8700K have a big span bad to god CPU just tested my 8700K 5ghz all cores and CB15 RogRealbench stable with 1.175V

i

Edited by westman

6 minutes ago, vc10man said:

@Martin-W

Great reply. Just what I needed reassurance on as I am upgrading from an i5-4670k bought in 2013 in Australia, which has served me well despite being oc/d. Will get the Asus motherboard at a later date when funds are available, and the 1080Ti drops in price, plus RAM, etc, etc

Waiting to hear form Scan as a follow-up posting for your valued opinion.

Thanks a lot.

It's about a 34% increase in single core performance for you then upgrading from the 4670K. Plus the faster RAM. Very worthwhile upgrade. Should be an awesome system when up and running. 🙂 169% multi-core increase in performance. 😮

22 minutes ago, martin-w said:

It's about a 34% increase in single core performance for you then upgrading from the 4670K. Plus the faster RAM. Very worthwhile upgrade. Should be an awesome system when up and running. 🙂 169% multi-core increase in performance. 😮

Great endorsement. Have been sitting on the fence for ages,first waiting for P3D to go 64-bit, then waiting for a CPU as a long-term investment. Now, I feel I can come off that fence and start enjoying P3D v4.2 et al.

Can anyone show us the with their old cpu and with the i7-8086k?

5 hours ago, westman said:

Your right Martin, 8086k is binned  the difference in price not big and if it for the Sim yes.

the 8700K have a big span bad to god CPU just tested my 8700K 5ghz all cores and CB15 RogRealbench stable with 1.175V

i

Wow! That's a very low voltage Hasse. I need to test mine again but I recall it was well over 1.4.

Hi Martin

Just bought the i7-8086k from Scan. If you can kindly suggest a MoBo and RAM for it, I'd be grateful. Never done liquid cooling before, so is it fairly easy to do? Not settled on a case but have the Antec 900/2 currently, which I was hoping I may be able to use, unless I see something totally different, as cases are, IMHO, down to personal choices. What's your 2nd opinion?

PSU I have either the modular OCZ StealthXStream 700w or Antec's TruePower 650w. Would they suffice for the new CPU?

Thanks.

Edited by vc10man

26 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Hi Martin

Just bought the i7-8086k from Scan. If you can kindly suggest a MoBo and RAM for it, I'd be grateful. Never done liquid cooling before, so is it fairly easy to do? Not settled on a case but have the Antec 900/2 currently, which I was hoping I may be able to use, unless I see something totally different, as cases are, IMHO, down to personal choices. What's your 2nd opinion?

PSU I have either the modular OCZ StealthXStream 700w or Antec's TruePower 650w. Would they suffice for the new CPU?

Thanks.

Motherboard would depend on your budget and needs. I have the Maximus X Code, but it's expensive. I bought it because cash wasn't an issue this time around.

I favour GSkill for RAM. I have Ripjaw V 3200 MHz 16 GB. But there is a good case for faster RAM on this platform if you can afford it. 

For cooling I don't favour AIO water coolers. I prefer the Noctua NH-D15S. Cools great and very quiet. Water or big air is a decision only you can make, and the subject of many heated debates. The Noctua has zero chance of leaks and no pump to ever fail. On the other hand AIO's take up less space inside your rig and many regard them as aesthetically more pleasing. 

650 Watt PSU or 700 Watt PSU is adequate. As long as it's a decent make. Also consider that when PSU's age their capabilities diminish. So if they are old PSU's would be worth investing in a new one.

Hi Martin

Is that an Asus MoBo as I favour Asus motherboards more? Yes, I have heard of GSkill's RAM as they do make good RAM, specially the Ripjaw..

What a coincidence that I too favour the Noctua-D15S as IIRC it was through reading one of your previous posts, that I had got that cooler and I must say it has done a superb job so far.

Both the Antec TruePower 650w and the OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU are top brands, and recent, so as you further reinforce, should have no issues.

I am basing the new rig on that i7-8086k and want it to last a long while.

Yep, Asus. Love it great board. But as I say... not cheap.

What a coincidence that I too favour the Noctua-D15S as IIRC it was through reading one of your previous posts, that I had got that cooler and I must say it has done a superb job so far.

I say stick with it Rick. My 8700K has been at 5 GHz and no issue cooling with the D15S. I have delidded though, so shaved 10 degrees off temp. To make mine a bit more aesthetically pleasing I added the black Chromax fan and Black Chromax heat sink covers. looks great it does through the window of my Phantek Evolv TG.

https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/na-hc3-chromax-black-swap

I went for the ones with just wording though, no fancy arrows.

Both the Antec TruePower 650w and the OCZ StealthXStream 700w PSU are top brands, and recent, so as you further reinforce, should have no issues.

Should do the job then. I only mention PSU age because capacitors do age. I'm a fan of the EVGA PSU's these days. Very pleased with them. Installed one in my daughters Mini ITX rig and have a 750 P2 platinum in my rig. 

Edited by martin-w

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Yep, Asus. Love it great board. But as I say... not cheap.

Say that again! Just seen Scan's website.

11 minutes ago, martin-w said:

say stick with it Rick. My 8700K has been at 5 GHz and no issue cooling with the D15S. I have delidded though, so shaved 10 degrees off temp. To make mine a bit more aesthetically pleasing I added the black Chromax fan and Black Chromax heat sink covers. looks great it does through the window of my Phantek Evolv TG.

Good endorsement, thanks. Heard good things of the Phanteks too. Will look.

12 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Should do the job then. I only mention PSU age because capacitors do age. I'm a fan of the EVGA PSU's these days. Very pleased with them. Installed one in my daughters Mini ITX rig and have a 750 P2 platinum in my rig. 

Never ever gave EVGA a second thought regarding PSUs. I do have their excellent GPUs though.

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

Never ever gave EVGA a second thought regarding PSUs.

I'd give another big endorsement for EVGA PSUs. I have an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 and would highly recommend it. High quality components, silent, very stable and has a huge 10-year warranty.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Martin, would a lesser costing Asus ROG Strix Gaming suffice or a board that does not have M.2 do me. I am not into M.2. hardware as I have quite few PCI devices I could re-use? So, any Aus MoBo you can suggests? I am not all that a 'big gamer' except for P3D.

18 hours ago, vortex681 said:

I'd give another big endorsement for EVGA PSUs. I have an EVGA SuperNOVA G2 and would highly recommend it. High quality components, silent, very stable and has a huge 10-year warranty.

Yep, that's the PSU I installed in my daughters PC. The 10 year warranty tells me that EVGA are confident with the units quality. 

17 hours ago, vc10man said:

Hi Martin, would a lesser costing Asus ROG Strix Gaming suffice or a board that does not have M.2 do me. I am not into M.2. hardware as I have quite few PCI devices I could re-use? So, any Aus MoBo you can suggests? I am not all that a 'big gamer' except for P3D.

Yep, cheaper Asus boards would most definitely suffice. as I said earlier, it depends on your needs, how many USB ports you need, whether you need WiFi, how many fan headers you would like etc... 

The Rog Strix Gaming is a Micro ATX motherboard. Not a full sized ATX motherboard. My advice would be to go for a full sized ATX board if your case supports it. 

It's the Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming that's the full sized ATX board if I recall correctly. 

Maximus X Hero is a bit more pricey but a nice board. 

There's the ROG STRIX Z370-F to consider also. Cheap but nice board. Feature set is reduced so watch out for that. 

Pick your board, make sure it has all the features you need, and then check out the reviews for the board.