Sign in to follow this  
southie4

FSX starts to load but then disappears...

Hi,

Life sometimes gets in the way of doing what you'd like to do and I have been away from flight simulation for a few years. With a new PC, though, I was determined to dive back in and I installed FSX Deluxe Edition. Activation was apparently successful even though I expected problems, since I was installing FSX on the same "FS Disk" but in a different computer, after my previous PC became nothing but an oversized doorstop upon "upgrading" it from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

FSX keeps looks like it is going to launch successfully. I get  messages that setup is completing and scenery data base is building but then it just disappears from my screen.

My FSX shortcut has compatibility mode unchecked, apparently something that can be necessary for activating.

Do I need to buy FSX again?

The old "FS Disk" drive still had the folder structure from when I installed FSX years ago.  It also had 3rd party software like UTX, ORBX and Global FS, plus an A2A Cessna,  previously installed on it and still residing on the drive.

Do I need to move everything out of that drive temporarily before trying to install FSX again and then moving stuff back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

HP Omen Desktop x64 PC 880 p0xx, Windows 10, 64-bit Home Premium (v.1803), Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 512GB SSD system drive, three 2TB WD HDs (data and cloning) and a 1TB HD for FS, Dell P2714H monitor, 750W power supply & Saitek X52 throttle/joystick (plus my old MS Sidewinder, in case of emergency)

I've un / re-installed FSX a number of times with no issues. However, they were all "clean" installs i.e. full uninstallation of everything related to FSX first, such as add on scenery, add on aircraft etc. Then an uninstall of FSX through the Windows uninstaller. A formatting of the drive followed that and then the new installation of FSX following Nick's and AVSIM's guides (which specify a very clear and must-adhere-to method which includes multiple restarts of the computer for every installation - FSX, mesh, landclass etc etc). Just a note that my flightsim machine has Win7 Pro 64 as an OS.

If that doesn't work take a deep breath and do a clean OS install and go from there. Drastic, I know but it will get rid of any hidden files that may be causing issues.

Hope this helps.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

If doing a clean install, I'd be more inclined to spend a little money and install FSX Steam Edition.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Sometimes FSX loads, but doesn't maximize.  Try opening task manager, right clicking on the app and maximize it.  It's frustrating, but I don't have a why.

Edited by airernie
  • Upvote 1

Ernest Pergrem

It is not clear you were asked to activate FSX and you entered the activation code as shown on the FSX box.  FSX must be activated first and then it will get to the setup screen.  If you did not enter the activation/license code, FSX will not start up.

If you did enter the activation code and tried to start it up for the first time and it did not get to the setup screen, then look behind the FSX screen for a message that asks you if you trust this gauge or a module.  Windows 10 has a quirk where their warning messages do not on top of the startup screen.  I have seen mine hidden in the lower right corner of my 34 inch monitor's screen.

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide has guidance on where hidden files are located.  You should also try to delete the fsx.cfg and restart FSX and see if this fixes the problem. The FSX.cfg is a hidden file and the AVSIM Guide tells you how to set up Windows so that hidden files can be seen.

Once FSX is installed and activated, you need to start it up once and then install SP1 and SP2 OR install Acceleration if you have that (but not SP2 and Acceleration).

The fact you were able to double-click on the FSX icon indicates to me FSX was installed okay.  It just needs to be activated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you, Tony, stans, Ernest and Jim.

I'll probably try a clean installation on a virgin HD.

I did enter the activation code and got a message that my copy was successfully activated.

I also checked for hidden screens waiting for my response but none wee found.  In Windows 10, the task bar icon is underlined when the associated application is active.  I can see the highlighted underline just disappear at the very same time that the FSX splash screen vanishes from my screen.

Any and all assistance is much appreciated,

Robert

HP Omen Desktop x64 PC 880 p0xx, Windows 10, 64-bit Home Premium (v.1803), Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, 11GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 512GB SSD system drive, three 2TB WD HDs (data and cloning) and a 1TB HD for FS, Dell P2714H monitor, 750W power supply & Saitek X52 throttle/joystick (plus my old MS Sidewinder, in case of emergency)

On 6/1/2018 at 10:52 AM, southie4 said:

FSX keeps looks like it is going to launch successfully. I get  messages that setup is completing and scenery data base is building but then it just disappears from my screen.

It seems that FSX is shutting down at the scenery loading point.   I assume that this is when your autogen scenery is loading.   I used to have a similar thing happen, but at the weather point in the loading screen;  my solution was to change my weather setting at FSX main screen from User Defined to Weather Theme.   It could be in your case, that there is some conflict in your Autogen scenery listing or with some other scenery add on (where you have made some changes and the data base is re-configuring, but failing because of some conflict).  Maybe your installed add ons on the old HDD are the problem.

I would first check here:   Your Drive:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

Open it in Wordpad and check each Area No. and Layer.   They should all be numbered consecutively and matching with the Layer numbers, (e.g. Area .002 should have Layer=2, and so on).

If this checks out okay, then it would be your choice whether to reinstall FSX (clean install, removing all your old add ons), or try to do an FSX Repair.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.  I'll have to give that a try.

Robert

They all seem fine, Chris.

Edited by southie4

It should.  Best to go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ and rename the scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.off.  Restart FSX and it should rebuild to the default.  If Area 071 is your last scenery, then you are missing Areas up to Area 120.  Any addon scenery you will have to reinstall or add to the scenery.cfg.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

You must have answered so swiftly that it preceded the editing of my post.  As it turns out, that was all the scenery that I could scroll down to originally, as if that was all that was there.  After closing the config file and re-opening it, though, I could scroll all the way down to the true end.

Thanks,

Robert