Sign in to follow this  
Guest LahaskaFlyer

Cessna- DC - Rest of The Story

News flash to YOU, sonar - there are PEOPLE in these buildings. If part of the building falls on them, people will get hurt. And it's the people and other stuff inside the buildings and other facilities that's important. I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with you, but just trying to help you understand something that you obviously don't. When you insist that there is no threat from a Cessna 150, you're mistaken. These things may not seem important to you, but there ARE many of us out here, who have to look at it from as many angles as we can. If you think that a light plane can't be loaded with enough bad stuff to do some severe damage, you need to do a little studying. What do you see happening in other parts of the world, when the suicide bombers use small cars, or even motorcycles to carry out their missions? Can a motorcycle carry more payload than a Cessna 150? (Yeah, maybe some can :)) We're not talking about truckloads of fertilizer here. You must be aware that you can do a LOT more damage with something that will fit in a suitcase. I think you can fit one of THOSE in a Cessna or a light helicopter, can't you? Look what can be done by someone just carrying it on their person.Whether the terrorists are lining up their Cessnas right now, or not, I don't know. But it IS clear that many of them have a great interest in GA. Why is that - are they just flying enthusiasts?Bottom line is, if your line of work was dealing with these situations, and how to prevent them, you'd probably understand why things are done the way they are. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain about how things are done when you don't know what you're talking about.BTW - I've been in the AOPA since 1995. I'm not in favor of restricting GA anymore than you, or any other member, but I AM in favor of keeping us safe. People have to be smart about how they do business, and if that means knowing something about the person you're teaching to fly, or renting a plane to, so be it. And, there is certainly a need for airspace restrictions, around certain areas and facilities. No one is trying to kill GA. The only ones that could possibly do that are the idiots like those who took the sightseeing trip over DC, and those who innocently insist that there couldn't possibly be a threat. I know it's hard to imagine when you watch the TSA in action, but there ARE some people in other organizations out there who really DO know what they are doing. :)

BobK

Guest Divergent Phugoid

I'm with you on this Sonar. This whole terrorist threat has expanded into something similar to mass hysterior. I wet myself over the recent incident of a dildo mistaken for a pipe bomb.

I think the main point Sonar is trying to make is that GA is no more a threat than motor vehicles. As you say, pretty nasty weapons can be fit in a suitcase and a motorcycle can carry even that. Aircraft are more easily tracked than motor vehicles and there are less aircraft than cars. I agree, we need to keep ourselves safe, but some people are looking at paranoid levels of action. One congressman, shortly after 9/11, tried to pass abill requiring ballistic barriers between pilot and passenger in ALL aircaft (including private light-GA aircraft).There are organizations seeking to destroy GA. Stop The Noise is one of them (they asked for aircraft tail numbers to be 24 inches tall instead of the usually 12) though they're less about terrorism. Although the action I mentioned above they tried to pass of as enhancing security if I recall (a page out of Chicago Mayor Daley's book? :-hah).On another note. AOPA has the article on the revocation of that pilot's certificate on their frontpage. He can get it back after one year if he goes back through the training. The 8-page FAA report summed it up this way: "Your operation of civil aircraft N5826G under these circumstances demonstrates either a complete disregard or lack of understanding of basic requirements for the safe operation of aircraft," the letter said. "These failures establish that you lack the qualifications necessary to hold an airman certificate."I can't imagine the fines with these violation (Don't ya love how the FAA overlaps things?)[ul][li]FAR 61.57(a). Acted as pilot in command of an aircraft carrying a passenger without having made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days.[/li][li]FAR 91.103. As pilot in command, failed to familiarize himself with all available information concerning that flight.[/li][li]FAR 91.13(a). Operated an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.[/li][li]FAR 91.131(a)(1). Operated an aircraft within Class B airspace without receiving an ATC clearance or establishing and maintaining two-way radio communication with the ATC facility controlling that airspace.[/li][li]FARs 73.83 and 91.133(a). Entered a prohibited area without having the permission of the using or controlling agency to do so.[/li][li]FAR 91.139©. Operated an aircraft within the designated airspace defined by an issued notam without complying with the authorizations, terms, and conditions prescribed in the regulation covered by the notam.[/li][li]FAR 99.7. Operated the aircraft in an air defense identification zone (ADIZ) without complying with special security instructions issued by the administrator in the interest of national security and that are consistent with appropriate agreements between the FAA and the Department of Defense.[/li][/ul]----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I agree with you on that, John. There are those who are way overboard on both sides of the debate. Those who want to kill GA, and those who claim there is no threat. All we need is for people to use due caution and vigilance. That's all it takes. Like I said, I don't think that so many people, with terror group connections, are taking such a great interest in GA just because they love to fly, or go sightseeing.

BobK

Guest Divergent Phugoid

>>those who claim there is no threat.That's me that is :) Of course there is a threat, just not to the extent that living in fear of C152 bombers would suggest.

Guest LahaskaFlyer

Paranoia(extreme irrational distrust of others) is alive and well in the USA. jack wilson