Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

CS757 III v1.1 released

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

flight from KLAX to KSFO and had a perfect landing on 28L.  In the past I have come in short of the runway and crashed but today it was perfect.

So you have Asiana'ed your approach before.... 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Eric 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:38 AM, threegreen said:

I've done several flights for my VA as well as test flights with the 757 III. I've noted down all things that I noticed weren't (or seemed to be) not quite right:

- the airplane is only really able to hold planned cruise speed when you're at or very close to the optimum flight level. As soon as you're about ~ 1000ft above/below that it will fly slower than the target speed (e.g. .764 instead of .794). Close to the maximum flight level it will actually continually lose speed so you don't wanna be flying at that level.

- F/D doesn't command V2+10 to 20 after takeoff. Following it will make you overshoot that speed by a large margin.

- climb thrust is rated higher than takeoff thrust. When engaging VNAV at accel height thrust will increase significantly instead of decrease and you actually have to pull the nose up.

- I get erroneous caution warnings after starting each engine with the correct starting procedure.

- there are no low pressure lights when the center tank is empty.

- stab trim value calculated by the FMC is completely off. I have to set the stab trim about one whole unit above that, otherwise the airplane will be completely out of trim on takeoff.

- the A/T disconnect light is illuminated at all times (though I'm not sure if that's right or wrong).

- calculating the takeoff with TOPCAT will make me almost overrun the runway end. TOPCAT gives me an EPR of 1.27, the FMC gives me 1.33 with the same assumed temp/derate. Logically, with that higher EPR I should actually need even less runway but it's the opposite, I always need much more and on my last takeoff I rotated just 500ft off the runway end and triggered various terrain warnings. I don't think TOPCAT is wrong here.

- upon starting descent, I have to apply speedbrake to help the airplane stay at planned descent speed, otherwise it will go near overspeed (haven't checked if it actually goes into overspeed). It will then reduce thrust and I can stow the speedbrake.

- I can't seem to open the speed window when VNAV is engaged to alter speed manually by pressing SEL on the MCP.

VNAV works fine, switch to FLCH or similar when closing in on final flying a STAR though because things can get a bit out of hand. I didn't dare to fly the RNAV into 27 at KSAN using VNAV.

These are the major things I've noticed, some of them are actually seriously compromising safety (if it were a real airplane). One minor thing e.g. is the flap indicator jumping from UP to 1 instead of advancing slowly.

It's a nice airplane at this time with lots of potential, don't take this too negatively. I'm however a bit angry that we are in mid-October and several hotfixes and two major updates have been released and there are still things wrong which are fundamental parts of the airplane, like the stab trim value being wrong (it's wrong in the manual too, btw) or the discrepancy in cruise speed. It's back grounded in my hangar for maintenance to look at until v1.3 hopefully puts an end to this and I can fully enjoy this without drawbacks. V1.2 is a significant improvement though.  

It does. You can set up the cockpit to your liking and then go to the FMC and save the current panel state. Later you can select it in the custom panel state menu in the FMC.

Hi:

Just wondering, did you report this on their forum? 

Thanks.

Aaron Ortega

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor, Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III SSD 4TB, Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB Video Card, ASUS ROG STRIX 850G 850W Gold Power Supply, Windows 10 x64 Home

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

So you have Asiana'ed your approach before.... 😂

Of course!  Just like every add-on aircraft I have purchased.  This is what flight simulation is all about.  To learn and learn from past mistakes.   You just don't jump in an aircraft like I do and not read the manual (still have not read the manual).  Fortunately, only the virtual passengers suffer (and my ego as I crashed on landing).  Today, like in other aircraft, I took special care my descent stayed with in the parameters, monitored the FMC Legs, and took necessary action when it started to deviate.  I personally think there's more damage done with all of these reports of an issue here, an issue there, and everyone beta testing things.  But beta testing  is part of the learning process too.  Just think it is taken to extremes sometimes.  It is important to report these "issues" though but wish it could be at the respective developer's forums.  I think other aircraft have many of the same issues especially the one about starting the descent issue.  This is a tough hobby for FS developers!  There is never an end to issues because what works well for people like me, does not work well for others.  IMHO, Captain Sim has provided many members of the flight simulation community a lot of entertainment and enjoyment over the years.  Are they perfect?  Are 'you' perfect?

I apologize for ranting on a soapbox...

1 hour ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Uh no!  A troublemaker?  (Just joking!)

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Hi:

Thanks.

I reported some of those and most of them had already been reported by others. I haven't been following too much lately but most are on their 'things to fix' list.

11 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Of course!  Just like every add-on aircraft I have purchased.  This is what flight simulation is all about.  To learn and learn from past mistakes.   You just don't jump in an aircraft like I do and not read the manual (still have not read the manual).  Fortunately, only the virtual passengers suffer (and my ego as I crashed on landing).  Today, like in other aircraft, I took special care my descent stayed with in the parameters, monitored the FMC Legs, and took necessary action when it started to deviate.  I personally think there's more damage done with all of these reports of an issue here, an issue there, and everyone beta testing things.  But beta testing  is part of the learning process too.  Just think it is taken to extremes sometimes.  It is important to report these "issues" though but wish it could be at the respective developer's forums.  I think other aircraft have many of the same issues especially the one about starting the descent issue.  This is a tough hobby for FS developers!  There is never an end to issues because what works well for people like me, does not work well for others.  IMHO, Captain Sim has provided many members of the flight simulation community a lot of entertainment and enjoyment over the years.  Are they perfect?  Are 'you' perfect?

I apologize for ranting on a soapbox...

As I said in my response above, don't take what I said in a way too negative. I like the airplane and it's flyable and enjoyable and a great addition to my VA fleet. I did my first transcon flight with it from KBOS to KLAX and it was a flight to remember. Some more flights preceded and followed and weren't bad either. I do question however why they released it when they did back in January. I had to wait months for it to come to a point where I actually started to enjoy it. I'm glad many people seemed to like it from day one but I do expect to be able to do a normal takeoff without things getting messy due to bugs.

I disagree with you about the damage done, though. It's a new airplane which simulates an aircraft type that many (including me) have been longing for for quite some time, especially P3D v4 users, so naturally there's going to be talk about it and how good it is. I see no damage done in reporting bugs and issues but instead this paves the way for the developer to improve their product, as is happening in their bug tracking forum. I reported some bugs myself and a lot of those I listed have been reported by others, on their forum. Any bug discussion here in this thread is just talk about a new product, no reporting, as was my initial response to Angelo's question about the state of the addon.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

54 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I see no damage done in reporting bugs and issues but instead this paves the way for the developer to improve their product, as is happening in their bug tracking forum. I reported some bugs myself and a lot of those I listed have been reported by others, on their forum. Any bug discussion here in this thread is just talk about a new product, no reporting, as was my initial response to Angelo's question about the state of the addon.

I understand what you are doing now as the CS bug reporting topic at Captain Sim is not open to the general public and you have to logon to get access to it.  So, as a service to AVSIM members, you are listing all of the bugs and even ones you have found and might have reported.  But this topic was to announce the release of another update to the product and since the topic was first started, there was another update that has been released plus an expansion released (the Rolls Royce variant).  To me it shows they have been working on making it better for the community.  Some of the bugs may be impossible to fix as they may not have the qualified technical expertise (think this is an issue with other developers too) but, for many like me, it will all be unnoticeable to those who are rookies and uneducated about this kind of technical stuff.

The CS 757 III has received favorable reviews.  Here's one from FSElite - https://fselite.net/reviews/captain-sim-757-iii-fselite-review/.  They gave it a rating of 7.5 out of 10 and stated, "the Captain Sim 757 is without a doubt great".  There are several favorable YouTube reviews of this aircraft too.  I think their SimOps is awesome where you have access to about everything you need to know about this aircraft in one place.  They have come a long way from the FS9 and early FSX days.  If they ever update all of their aircraft in this format, they will make a lot of money.

I love the saved scenario entitled "757-200 Captain III Autoland (KSEA)".  It lands the aircraft perfectly at KSEA in extremely nasty weather and at night.  Gives you a good idea as to what these pilots have to go through when piloting aircraft such as the 757 and shows off P3Dv4.3 too.

I will say again, this aircraft is not perfect.  I have had issues with this aircraft and, as I might have reported elsewhere in this topic, when I posted a serious issue, I was personally contacted by a representative of CS who asked me to send her a PM detailing the issue so she could pass it on to the techs.  Has the problem been fixed yet?  No but it is nice to know someone cares and has a desire to make owners happy.  I think now, the issue was operator error as I might have imported a bad flightplan.  If I manually set up the same flight, there is no issue. 

Thanks for your response. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The problem with it is the way it's priced, they kind of set the bar high for themselves. There's no way I'd buy a 7.5/10 for a $70 base where I have to cough up extra cash for an engine variant. 

For $12 a pop it's perfect though and that's why I'm mad I missed their 12-12-12 discount window.

-Angelo Busato

Edited by killairbus

2 hours ago, killairbus said:

The problem with it is the way it's priced, they kind of set the bar high for themselves. There's no way I'd buy a 7.5/10 for a $70 base where I have to cough up extra cash for an engine variant. 

For $12 a pop it's perfect though and that's why I'm mad I missed their 12-12-12 discount window.

-Angelo Busato

I'm sorry Angelo but this sounds like you are grasping for straws trying to come up with a reason not to buy it or for others not to purchase.  Your comment is based on one review (or at least you mentioned only one review) and not verified by others?  This old review was done back in February and a lot of updates and bug fixes have been released since then.  You did not comment at all on all of the excellent YouTube videos of this product (video reviews are becoming the common method for reviews as they validate the issues and prove the aircraft will or will not takeoff and land).  Yes, $70 is a lot of money and I would much rather pay $5 for this high quality aircraft but developers today do not work and provide a product for free.  I think $70 is just the tip of the pricing in the future.  In any case, I like it and hundreds of others are enjoying the quality of this aircraft. 

Submit News to AVSIM

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I'm sorry Angelo but this sounds like you are grasping for straws trying to come up with a reason not to buy it or for others not to purchase.  Your comment is based on one review (or at least you mentioned only one review) and not verified by others?  This old review was done back in February and a lot of updates and bug fixes have been released since then.  You did not comment at all on all of the excellent YouTube videos of this product (video reviews are becoming the common method for reviews as they validate the issues and prove the aircraft will or will not takeoff and land).  Yes, $70 is a lot of money and I would much rather pay $5 for this high quality aircraft but developers today do not work and provide a product for free.  I think $70 is just the tip of the pricing in the future.  In any case, I like it and hundreds of others are enjoying the quality of this aircraft. 

I didn't say that at all and I didn't base it on one review despite only listing that 7.5/10, there's also the list of bugs that the other user posted. I did not say to anybody not to buy it. I only said that I and I alone wouldn't pay $70 for it. And there are no reviews by big guys like FSelite on the new update and I even posted on Captain sim forums asking for links to one but nobody replied. Which is why I came down here in the first place and i do support developers. I got a ton of PMDG stuff and the Maddog by Leonardo and they are in the same price range as the captain sim and they are much better products. I simply compared the plane from the reviews and the bug list with the planes I have. 

I also owned the Captainsim 777 which was terrible but I firmly believe that despite my bad history with that product, I have not changed my standards for this product so that they're more unfair than others. 

And Im glad you enjoy it, I'm just saying I will not because we are two different people with different set of standards and that I am not at all unrealistic because of it and neither are you. 

Edited by killairbus

I tend to agree that it is overpriced. I think it has the potential to be a great plane add-on. If it were priced like most of CS's products I would say its about worth it. But I paid more for this than Leonardo's Maddog X which has a heck of a lot more polish than this add-on.

But I do think this plane has been CS's best to date. They need to focus on performance improvements and post launch support. Bug fixes do come but it takes a lot of time and some major issues (trim values for takeoff) seem to never get fixed even though it's a known issue. They are trying though. They fixed one bug and even emailed me a link to a test update to make sure it was fixed.

9 hours ago, JasonPC said:

I tend to agree that it is overpriced. I think it has the potential to be a great plane add-on. If it were priced like most of CS's products I would say its about worth it. But I paid more for this than Leonardo's Maddog X which has a heck of a lot more polish than this add-on.

But I do think this plane has been CS's best to date. They need to focus on performance improvements and post launch support. Bug fixes do come but it takes a lot of time and some major issues (trim values for takeoff) seem to never get fixed even though it's a known issue. They are trying though. They fixed one bug and even emailed me a link to a test update to make sure it was fixed.

Why is it over-priced? Have you checked on the gas prices, food, cost of living .etc?  We can no longer expect add-ons for $25.00. Everything is more expensive now than 10 years ago. of course, I'm not suggesting that add-ons should be $100.00 or $140.00.. cause next you know (in a few months).. they will ask for $200.000... $240.00....$300.00

11 minutes ago, joemiller said:

Why is it over-priced? Have you checked on the gas prices, food, cost of living .etc? 

I love this argument when applied to Captainsim...

CS is based in Ukraine. In Kyiv, the most expensive city in Ukraine, let’s look at the prices in USD at a genuinely upscale restaurant, Shoti: (https://gusovsky.com.ua/restaurant/shoti)

Glass of red wine (imported!): $3

Salad: $4.50

Soup: $4.50

Plate of ravioli: $4.50

Lamb kebabs: $7.50

Whole roasted chicken: $8.50

Whole roasted trout: $12.50

I don’t know where you live, but where I live you’d have to go back in time at least 40 years to get those prices...

I point this out not to pick on CS or Ukrainian developers (lord knows others are charging much steeper prices) but to show how disconnected pricing in general is from actual costs. You can still defend the pricing, just not on that basis.

James

• Upvote 1

I am only comparing the cost to other addons available at this time. What the addon is worth to each person is up to them. If you absolutely have to have a 757, then I would say it is worth it.

Like I said I paid more for this than the Leonardo Maddog which I would consider a vastly superior product. I'm just saying it lacks the polish of similarly priced addons.

Most CS products are $50-$60 at release. They chose to charge $75 for what was at the time an unfinished, early release. And at this time months later there are still outstanding issues.