Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Baker

Computer blow-up - Decision crossroads

Hi all,

Long story, short; was out of flight simming for a number of years (FS9 last platform), then returned to P3D with a new build:

i6700k, GTX970, ASUS z170a Motherboard, SSD, Windows 10 Home 64.

Thought I was set.

Started with P3Dv3, and started to buy add-ons.

Then my SSD blew up.  Replaced that.  Then Windows 10 installed updated that broke P3D - a coupled of times.  Solved that.

Then upgraded to P3Dv4.  Then my motherboard blew up.  All of this 2 years after getting back to flight simming again.  It's been expensive and problematic, to say the least.

But whoa is me, everyone has had their issues - that's not my point.

The point is, I'm not sure, but my i6700k might have been damaged too (I was told that's the case 50% of the time, when a motherboard blows) - but I can't be sure.  I won't know until I purchase a new motherboard for the i6700k - but meanwhile it seems the z170a has been discontinued, and I need to find something else (z270? something like that?)

Anyway, my point is I can do that, or...

I can buy a i8700k, the motherboard that supports that CPU, and move on with some slight improvements, and hope that the new chipset offers some future benefits from the added cores.

My questions is; what would you do?

<rant over>

Thanks for your opinions,

Daniel (bewildered simmer)

I think you can take your i7-6700k to your favorite PC Parts store and let them test if it is still working. It is still a perfectly good CPU in terms of performance at this point. Plus you can save the cash for a bigger upgrade in the future, or upgrade your GPU as that is the one I feel you can get the most benefit from.

I would also want to try to find out why your motherboard blew up in the first place.

What PSU are you using? and is the quality of electricity stable in your area?

• Like 1

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

8700k gets my vote

fly safe

• Like 2

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

38 minutes ago, snapshot21 said:

I think you can take your i7-6700k to your favorite PC Parts store and let them test if it is still working. It is still a perfectly good CPU in terms of performance at this point. Plus you can save the cash for a bigger upgrade in the future, or upgrade your GPU as that is the one I feel you can get the most benefit from.

I would also want to try to find out why your motherboard blew up in the first place.

What PSU are you using? and is the quality of electricity stable in your area?

Electricity is stable - I'm in midtown Toronto.

PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

- Daniel

6 hours ago, Daniel Baker said:

Electricity is stable - I'm in midtown Toronto.

PSU is an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

- Daniel

That is one of the best PSU available right now so it may just be a fluke problem with the motherboard 🙂

Anyway I stand by my suggestion to find out if the 6700k is still working, and upgrading the GPU instead 😄

• Like 2

PC- AMD Ryzen 7800X3D, 64gb 6400mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX4090

Been working with computers since the late 80's, never heard of so many failures. Sounds like power issues to me. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It better to move forward to the I-8700K if you can afford it, rather than spending similar money to remain where you are.

Greg

• Like 2

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been working with computers since the late 80's, never heard of so many failures. Sounds like power issues to me. 

Yes, I've never experienced so many issues with a computer before.  I had it custom made by a chain called NCIX here in Canada, which is now out of business.  I keep wondering if they were passing off refurbished parts as new - but I've never heard any evidence of that.

I wonder if there's a way to check the power supply?

- Daniel

36 minutes ago, snapshot21 said:

That is one of the best PSU available right now so it may just be a fluke problem with the motherboard 🙂

Anyway I stand by my suggestion to find out if the 6700k is still working, and upgrading the GPU instead 😄

That's interesting, I hadn't considered that.  I wonder if I would see more performance gains for the money in v4 with an upgraded GPU, especially knowing I could sell my old GTX970.

So that would be a new motherboard - I think the z270 is the one I need now, as the z170 is no longer being made - and a new GPU.  But what GPU would be a significant upgrade?

Thanks,

- Daniel

7 minutes ago, Daniel Baker said:

Yes, I've never experienced so many issues with a computer before.  I had it custom made by a chain called NCIX here in Canada, which is now out of business.  I keep wondering if they were passing off refurbished parts as new - but I've never heard any evidence of that.

I wonder if there's a way to check the power supply?

- Daniel

You can replace the power supply for about $50

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

It better to move forward to the I-8700K if you can afford it, rather than spending similar money to remain where you are.

Greg

7 hours ago, mokeiko said:

8700k gets my vote

fly safe

So this was the way I was leaning, I guess.  I'm hoping the newer architecture, additional cores and higher overclock potential will help with not only P3Dv4 but all the complex airline add-ons, things like GSX and ActiveSky.  Plus, as P3D iterates it will take advantage of the newer technology and better optimize across additional cores - am I wrong to expect this?

Thanks,

Daniel

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You can replace the power supply for about $50

Yes, well... mine cost $140 CAD, but I see your point.  Although it all adds up pretty quickly...

Thanks,

Daniel

The 8700k will be a little bit faster (and with better texture loading) than your 6700k if both chips are left at stock settings, because the 8700k has a higher turbo clock speed (4.7GHz vs. 4.2GHz).  If you have money to spare and you feel like upgrading, go for it.  However, don't expect miracles.  The 8700k will only be about 10-15% faster than the 6700k for flight sim.  

• Like 1

There is also the rumored but I think now confirmed 8086K chip, which sounds like a binned 8700K with a boost speed at 5GHZ. Just my 2 cents, but may be worth looking into....

• Like 1